Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Mixed Reviews for The Weeknd’s Halftime Show

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

JusKeepBreathin

My straight brother said it was "OK"

That's straight talk for flop.:billie:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson123

For an event that should’ve been cancelled in the first place given the mess that is the world right now, it was good.

I love The Weeknd and his music and would like to see him live one day but there’s something about it that didn’t have a wow moment. Like people have said already, it doesn’t look like he can carry a show by himself and would’ve been fun to have guests if his team or even himself wouldn’t have wanted it that way. Ariana, Daft Punk, Kendrick Lamar on Pray For Me and SZA on All The Stars, etc. Would’ve been nice to hear and see something different. By the time Blinding Lights ended I was like “oh wait, that was it”. Probably because I was expecting “In Your Eyes” to be performed at some point or just didn’t feel like a final moment, even the rumored 20-25 min extended show. 

2 hours ago, Autumn said:

i mean, he's an alternative r&b singer, not a main pop girl, so he was never going to be vogueing around the stage with sparky tiddies.

No he’s not :rip:

Maybe a decade ago yeah, but he’s undeniably a full pop star now. His last three releases have all been pop.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

Jose P
1 hour ago, gag said:

No he’s not :rip:

Maybe a decade ago yeah, but he’s undeniably a full pop star now. His last three releases have all been pop.

I wouldn’t say his last three releases have been all pop, at all. They’ve been a mix of pop with his brand of alternative R&B, with the singles being the poppiest songs of the albums. It’s more like he blended pop with his Kiss Land/Trilogy sound. Especially After Hours.

7 minutes ago, Jose P said:

I wouldn’t say his last three releases have been all pop, at all. They’ve been a mix of pop with his brand of alternative R&B, with the singles being the poppiest songs of the albums. It’s more like he blended pop with his Kiss Land/Trilogy sound. Especially After Hours.

My point is that Abel is not 'an alternative R&B singer.' Incorporating R&B elements into a pop album doesn't make it not pop anymore, like how Taylor Swift is not a folk singer because she incorporated folk elements into a pop album.

There's a reason why Abel himself wants to be in the pop categories and not pigeonholed as an R&B artist, which is often racially-motivated but that's another conversation.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

PatrickMonster

He hyped up this performance too much with bragging how expensive it was etc. He really thought he's gonna become a legend or something after this performance, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. He has the hits for a great SB halftime but he is just really not there yet artistically.

Nevertheless it still had some great moments, but the some parts, especially the ending was just so boring, I almost fall asleep. Also what was up with his vocals? It was an OK performance, but Bruno is still the best among men in the last 10 years, and he is not even close. At least he beat Maroon 5 and Justin Timberlake.

Bradley

Is it just be or the vocals are barely audible? Maybe it's a mixing issue I hope when his official channel uploads the performance we could hear him louder.

Also the second half is much better. The first half actually just looks like a Coachella set.

I concur with the users saying it was "just ok." Ultimately, and I don't mean this in a shady way, I think that the problem was that he, as an artist and a performer, is missing that STAR quality/X Factor that it takes to fill a 70,000 seat stadium :oops:. It was a concern for some coming in, and I'd say it at least partially played itself out last night.

He isn't 20+ years into his career a la Coldplay* either...

*performed in 2016, 20 years into their career 

Don't Call Me Gaga

RickMonster98

it looked an mtv awards medley tbh

yeah, it was good but this was not a super bowl half time show :billie:

xoxo Craig
8 hours ago, Folklore Friend said:

I would’ve loved to see daft punk

That was what was missing. Imagine Daft Punk coming along and playing a small set (Harder, Better Faster, Stronger. Get Lucky, and I Feel It Coming )with The Weekend

End Racism Now

xoxo Craig
Just now, RickMonster98 said:

it looked an mtv awards medley tbh

yeah, it was good but this was not a super bowl half time show :billie:

Yeah it reminded me of his VMA performance :billie:

End Racism Now

hieronymus
11 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

I concur with the users saying it was "just ok." Ultimately, and I don't mean this in a shady way, I think that the problem was that he, as an artist and a performer, is missing that STAR quality/X Factor that it takes to fill a 70,000 seat stadium :oops:. It was a concern for some coming in, and I'd say it at least partially played itself out last night.

He isn't 20+ years into his career a la Coldplay* either...

*performed in 2016, 20 years into their career 

I don't think that should be an issue at this point when you're this talented and have this much money behind you. The big issue is that they decided to not supplement this with some kind of narrative or, dare I say it, stunt, or even a few guests. It comes across as weirdly stubborn and pretentious given the hype beforehand.

Archived