💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Gaga’s patriotism bother you?

NFRatwell

Featured Posts

PartySick

Patriots love their fellow Americans and not only want the best for all but they fight for it too. They realize we have a long way to go before we're as good as we should be but we deserve to fight for it.

Nationalists are the ones who say we're the best country in the world, "love it or leave it".

🖤

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HausOfAntonio
1 hour ago, LilyLark said:

Gaga can do wrong but I don't think patriotism in itself is so bad as long as one isn't all "America good, everywhere else bad." One has to look at it in a nuanced way...like my mom, an immigrant, is highly critical of many aspects of the US and still loves the country. I've always thought James Baldwin had the best take on America.

I’m ideologically against patriotism, I think its bizarre to imply some sort of communal unity based upon birth place and then adding an element of sovereignty to that. But whatever like its not at the top of my dislikes list :laughga:

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, River said:

Americans loves to trash other's patriotism so I always see it hypocritical.

They always say "nationalism and patriotism is a different thing" when it comes to their country, but they don't seem to apply it on other countries.. the moment you love your country you are a fascist :awkney:

I don’t think most Americans could distinguish nationalism from patriotism lmao seems like a very specific critique 

Better Day
5 hours ago, gabeoz said:

Nationalism and patriotism are two different things

They are heavily linked 

Together You And I!

RudraCNG

I simply don't care. I think she shouldn't hide it if she really feels proud to be American (I'd never, tho), but since I'm not, it doesn't bother me nor makes me happy.

Edit: as others pointed out, what bothers me is she defending and promoting politicians and presidents.

alsemanche

Yes, her politics in general are questionable at best and make me cringe 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

5 hours ago, TheAlexer said:

Yes I dislike it

Nationalism/Patriotism same thing. Only exists to blind the masses. There's nothing special about the random place you were born in.

jiq13smdgzf61.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

I hate even more that she talks like a centrist now even though 2010 Gaga would have literally thrown stones at far right people

"By 'patriotism' I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force upon other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality."

-George Orwell, Notes on Nationalism.

I think there is an important distinction between nationalism and patriotism. Nationalism, is the belief that your nation is the best and that the interests of your nation are more important, often to the detriment of other nations. Patriotism is devotion to the land and people of your country, it's working to better your country.

It's the difference between "My teams the best and I don't care if we have to fight and cheat as long as we win"  and "I'm part of a team and I want to support my fellow team mates as I want the best for them". 

Real life example:

A patriotic poster encouraging 'patriots' who care about their fellow American's to ration their food in order to ensure the entire country does not go without.

1024px-%22Be_Patriotic_sign_your_country

A Nationalistic poster depicting another nation as savages, the U.S as innocent and encouraging Americans to enlist in the the Army to prevent the savages from winning.

poster.US.DestroyThisMadBrute.jpg

Guillaume Hamon
5 hours ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I’m ideologically against patriotism, I think its bizarre to imply some sort of communal unity based upon birth place and then adding an element of sovereignty to that. But whatever like its not at the top of my dislikes list :laughga:

It's rather the shared visions/ideas that creates patriotism above the shared birth place imo.

The day folks living in the country they're born in have massive disagrements on what they consider key values there's not much patriotism left imo.

Just unity between some parts of the country if ever it's a regional division and, if it's not the case, barely an "administration" link between this country's citizens.

When I first heard her say "We're number one" I thought that's weird, yes. Like USA is the only worthy country in the world :shrug:

Archived