Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Gaga’s patriotism bother you?

NFRatwell

Featured Posts

Better Day

Patriotism bothers me. I’ve saw what it’s done to the UK with us leaving the EU. 

Together You And I!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

Patriotism bothers me. I’ve saw what it’s done to the UK with us leaving the EU. 

Nationalism and patriotism are two different things

Born This Way

No, I actually like it because she's patriotic but not complacent. She's always pushing for positive change. If she wasn't so passionate about using her platform to make meaningful impact, I'd be wary of it. But she is so I think it's great.

Reset my mind's IP, delete what I don't need

LilyLark
8 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

I do wonder if it might be a cultural thing. I'm from the US but spent a significant time abroad as a child....patriotism in the US doesn't necessarily always have the hardcore nationalistic bent that it does in other countries. For example, even some (some, not all) progressives/far left people here often use patriotism as a way of defending progressive ideals (as in, to be truly patriotic we should do x, y, or z).

StarstruckIllusion

Yea I ignore it bc she has little impact on politics either way and she’s literally been like this before I ever cared that much about politics. 

I wouldn’t even call her extra patriotic tho. She only pulls it out when it’s convenient. She recognizes people > star spangled merch.

LilyLark

Not really. Hardcore patriotism always makes me a bit uncomfortable (especially from right wingers), but normal patriotism doesn't bother me much even if I'm not particularly patriotic. Part of it may be due to my mom, tbh, who is an immigrant (now a citizen) and while critical of the US in many ways has always said there's a reason she left her home country for the US despite all of the problems here.

Also, I feel like the twitter crowd, when getting angry at patriotism in general or people who make a random comment about "loving" the US, often forget that James Baldwin said "I love America more than any other country in the world, and, exactly for this reason I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." That's a sentiment I think is far more common than the twitter masses accept.

Edited: Also, wasn't the "we're number one" thing said kind of jokingly? I think she is patriotic, but I don't believe she's hardcore serious when she says stuff like that...

LGMonster95

No lol she just supports her country, she knows that is not perfect like how some others acts like, nothing wrong about it.

xoxo Craig

Patriotism isn't a bad thing. Being a patriot =/= Trump supporters or right-wing ideologies 

End Racism Now

HausOfAntonio

I loathe and don’t understand patriotism but I love Gaga more so she can do no wrong and I’m probably wrong :ohwell:

LilyLark
2 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

Yea I ignore it bc she has little impact on politics either way and she’s literally been like this before I ever cared that much about politics. 

I wouldn’t even call her extra patriotic tho. She only pulls it out when it’s convenient. She recognizes people > star spangled merch.

Yeah, she's like...the average amount of patriotic here in the US. I do kind of want to wrestle patriotism back from all the right wingers, though. It's weird cause I was just watching the James Baldwin doc and I recall that great quote he gives about how he loves America and that's why he criticizes her.

LilyLark
Just now, HausOfAntonio said:

I loathe and don’t understand patriotism but I love Gaga more so she can do no wrong and I’m probably wrong :ohwell:

Gaga can do wrong but I don't think patriotism in itself is so bad as long as one isn't all "America good, everywhere else bad." One has to look at it in a nuanced way...like my mom, an immigrant, is highly critical of many aspects of the US and still loves the country. I've always thought James Baldwin had the best take on America.

Archived