Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga Was Forced To Make Chromatica

ApplauseftAdele

Featured Posts

ApplauseftAdele

I know you all are tired of seeing another thread discussing Traumatica and Gaga's supposed lack of interest for this era, if you don't want to read, just keep scrolling. I'm on add*rall and just wanted to get this "theory" off my chest and see if anyone else agrees :huntyga: 

Chromatica was very cookie cutter Gaga. In a way, it played on almost every stereotype that people think of Gaga. Dance pop / EDM songs, VERY gay collaborations, an alien theme/aesthetic, very stereotypical Gaga outfits and performances that are visually appealing and CLASSIC Gaga (but don't have any meaning behind them, unlike the Born This Way horns, or the meat dress, and even every outfit from the ARTPOP era and even the Joanne hat had a meaning behind it)... even the name of the lead single is similar to her most popular song of all time, and has... honestly some of the most basic lyrics and the LEAST creative chorus of her entire career. While I do think many of the lyrics of Chromatica were genuine, it is quite interesting when you think about how many of the songs were allegedly originally written as ballads, but she gave the reigns to the producers to create them into pop dance songs. Gaga NEVER does anything twice, and she always constantly pushes the boundaries she previously explored with her music, which is why Chromatica was so interesting to me - it was a return to dance pop, but it was not as innovative as her previous dance records. It's like if, after Born This Way, Gaga released an album like Ally's ASIB pop songs instead of ARTPOP - it would probably be successful and have bops, but it is a downgrade in her evolution as an artist. Chromatica is probaby her best album as a WHOLE, but in terms of pushing the boundaries, it just ... didnt. I know for a fact that Gaga realizes this - she's sat in the studio for hours putting those songs together, listening to them on repeat, and the thought 100% crossed her brain that these were all solid, very SAFE songs. I feel like if she had creative control, she would definitely create a more experimental record, however with the massive success of ASIB, I feel like her label forced her to create a GP-pandering album with digestible tracks, so they wouldn't be turned off by say, hyper-experimental production from the likes of SOPHIE (RIP Legend). 

It makes complete sense to me. For example, Rain On Me simply does not sound anything like a song she would normally write, in terms of the flow and structure and melodies of the song. If you told me 7 years ago that Gaga's next pop singles would have lyricless EDM drop choruses I would have screamed. Hell, they even got MAX MARTIN to help write Stupid Love. That's something Gaga would never have done, and I believe she even stated she didn't need him in the past. Its clear to me that her label really wanted Chromatica to appeal to many people to ride off ASIB's success, and as a result I feel like the reason Gaga isn't promoting this album as much is because she doesn't FULLY believe in this album, if she had the choice she would have made it something much more experimental and genuine. You can tell when Gaga's heart and soul is in the art, and Stupid Love and Rain On Me's videos, although they were serves, to me felt like someone else behind the reigns. Stupid Love storyline of the tribes really pales in comparison to the story she told in Born This Way, GUY, or even PI/John Wayne/Million Reasons. Hell, even the album photoshoot and outfits always mean something - Born This Way's slime, ARTPOP's stripped down naked look and wigs, versus Chromatica was just Gaga wearing cool outfits but in a monochrome pink alien backdrop. Also did Gaga even ever explain why everything on Chromatica is specifically PINK? :vegas:

So... why am I saying this? I honestly think this theory makes complete sense, but is also good to keep in mind since I see a lot of people dragging Gaga for not being as involved in this era. I think that when COVID caused everything to be cancelled, and this may be a stretch, but Gaga simply didn't want to promote the sh!t out of Chromatica because it's not a work she fully believes in. I mean she is an artist that takes her craft very seriously, and seeing people's reactions to the album being lukewarm and generic, Gaga probably felt the same and maybe even felt embarrassed promoting these works under her name. Again maybe a reach, but if I was an artist, and one of the most unique visionaries of the 21st century, I wouldn't want to be known for a generic dance record that my label forced me to make, I'd want to promote an album I fully believed in. It sucks as a little monster that Gaga didn't give us much content this era, but with this theory in mind, it's easy to see why she's putting much more time into other things like the election and helping COVID victims. But also, from a label perspective, Gaga can be a VERY risky artist, and at this specific point in her career she had to play things very safe, we have to remember she was once literally the MOST controversial celebrity of our generation. Her return to dance pop had to make a lot of people satisfied, so it is honestly smart that she played it safe, the last thing we want is for her to have people in pitchforks rioting outside her concerts again. 

And lastly, the reason I really want to believe this theory is because, there seems to be a common feeling amongst LM's that Gaga has lost her touch, or Gaga peaked creatively in 2013, or Gaga doesn't care about pop music anymore. It can seem very easy to believe this, especially since Gaga has moved on to other endeavors, and is finding huge success. But I truly believe in my heart that Gaga's soul belongs in pop music. I can't help but remember the way Gaga talked in the 2020 Billboard interview about how her soul comes alive when she writes pop music, and the fact that she even reached out to a relatively underground experimental hyper-pop producer like SOPHIE to create some demo songs.I hope that Chromatica as an era is only the beginning, and after Gucci era is done, Gaga, now having reclaimed her spot in 2020 as a veteran pop girl and satisfying the general public with Chromatica, continues to push the boundaries in her pop music.

But only time will tell.:vegas:

"Time, the ultimate truth teller."

-Katy Maya Angelou Perry :bear:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agunimon

Well yeah she even said Bloodpop had to force her into the studio.

This was a painful album for her to complete. The lyrics alone can tell you all the struggles she is going through. Every song encapsulates some pain she has.

Illuminati

Nobodys gonna read that :deadbanana: I feel like if anyone was forcing her to record anything it would be a similarly sounding follow up to ASIB to capitalize on its success, she may have lost interest in promoting it but I doubt anyone pushed her to choose that sound

A worker under a multi million dollar contract was forced to work and make money :emma:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

StarstruckIllusion
Just now, River said:

A worker under a multi million dollar contract was forced to work and make money :emma:

Capitalism is the root of all evil, comrade :gaycat:

Married the Night

Absolutely not. It’s house and a very fresh sound. She knew what she wanted to make. 

FrederickSpears

I think she did it for the fans, but Gaga wouldn't record anything IMO that she didn't want to do or record. I'm sure she was still proud of the album and it's easily one of my favorite albums from her.

Archived