opinion

Lets settle this once and for all

RenegAde

Which star spangled banner was better  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Which rendition was better

Featured Posts

JazzGa

2016 had more diva runs which I LOVE to a fault, and the notorious octave leap on "free" :legend: I also much prefer it in a 6/8 time signature, it's jazzier. The rendition in 4/4 time is more formal and "march"-y so I don't like that arrangement as much. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with BrianđŸŽș and SteveđŸŽ·

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Amphetamine said:

It is a beautiful song, but I wouldn't say it's "sad" that someone from a different country doesn't regularly listen to different renditions of our national anthem lol. Do you ever listen to Germany's national anthem? (where I'm assuming the user is from based on his instagram) 

Well I wouldn’t recommed it though 😂

I would never listen to our own anthem. But that’s a rather normal thing for German people I think. Never show any national pride (moving to Denmark I was surprised how much they use their own flag for everything, if feels) But that’s a different topic not belonging in this thread. So I will stop here. Now go on and discuss Gaga’s renditions 😉

gypsy101
44 minutes ago, Amphetamine said:

It is a beautiful song, but I wouldn't say it's "sad" that someone from a different country doesn't regularly listen to different renditions of our national anthem lol. Do you ever listen to Germany's national anthem? (where I'm assuming the user is from based on his instagram) 

huh no i don’t think i’ve ever heard it lol 

2021 I loved the difference that she gave it. Both are spectacular.:legend:

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

MJHolland

2016 Gaga is my all time fav rendition of the anthem. 2021 was spectacular though and more true to form.

But wow, I'm still not over how hard she killed it in 2016. Like, truly a bit of a career inflection point. A cultural reset even. 

shoful

I love how this thread is titled “Once and for all” like this has been a debate for years. The performance happened 5 days ago :ladyhaha:

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Haus of Vega

Been thinking a lot about this. I'm always torn between both since each have amazing qualities. 

I think musically, the 2021 is more impressive and considering the historic context, the cold weather, and having to perform in synch with a full band. The 3/4 & 4/4 mix-meter rendition is really interesting and unique contribution for the history of the song. I think it was such an intelligent way of making it unique and memorable, but keeping it respectful without littering it with vocal riffs. 

For a vocal performance, the 2016 is more interesting and memorable as the simple piano backing allowed Gaga to showcase her chops and vocal abilities more. The pianist was able to follow Gaga's lead and give the space to embellish things more vocally, but still kept it respectful. 

They both are extremely impressive and the fact that she has two iconic fully live SSB performances is phenomenal. So proud of her.  

PinkJelly

2016 vocals were on point. The outfit for 2021 was better and obviously the occasion it was performed at much more momentous

Chromatica Island

I mean 2021 is a career highlight for her, 2016 vocals were amazing, but I have to go with 2021 for me personally.

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Justin Drew Bieber

Let’s be real, 2021’s was weak. 2016 was Gaga at her vocal peak GIF by Mashable

Cultural impact and relevance - for sure 2021.

Vocals - 2016.

But emotion? Gurl. 2016 version made me TEAR and I can't stand American version of patriotism. That's all. :nooo:

Archived