đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Could applause have gone #1 if performed at the YT music awards?

Delulu Rogers

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Anderson123 said:

I'm not a little chartser but I think Applause debuted at #4 in August and the YT Awards were a little before ARTPOP was released (November) so by that time Applause wasn't really in the top 10 anymore. Dope debuted at #8 because it was released as a promo single that weekend, it was just a lucky debut. If the VMAs didn't make it peak higher then the YouTube Awards were not gonna do anything else. They were already moving to the album's second single Do What U Want by that time.

Actually by the time the YouTube Music Awards came around Applause was still in the top 10 (let’s remember that it spent 14 weeks there, that’s 3 and a half months). Also, the only reason Dope was #8 was because it was used as a YouTube ad that counted as streams for the song.

In the hypothetical case that she had performed Applause there and it had been used as the ad instead those streams would’ve been enough to make it repeak.

If DWUW was the one that had been performed it would have probably been enough for it to go top 10.

gypsy101
52 minutes ago, Damon said:

imo gaga didnt want to perform it so applause will stop rising the charts since she didnt want it to be a single

but not sure about #1 but definitely top 3

... it already peaked at 4 lol

JusKeepBreathin
2 hours ago, Lady Papa said:

I can't believe I live in a world where Dope charted higher than Marry the Night :mark:

I'm still obsessed with MTN. That song was THE anthem. I miss that level of pop.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Madame Goo Goo
1 hour ago, ARTGOD said:

Actually by the time the YouTube Music Awards came around Applause was still in the top 10 (let’s remember that it spent 14 weeks there, that’s 3 and a half months). Also, the only reason Dope was #8 was because it was used as a YouTube ad that counted as streams for the song.

In the hypothetical case that she had performed Applause there and it had been used as the ad instead those streams would’ve been enough to make it repeak.

If DWUW was the one that had been performed it would have probably been enough for it to go top 10.

Thank you for this. I feel like a lot of monsters don't really realize that the chart rules were in a period of flux at this moment and the ad counted as a stream, hence any song used in that add would have had a major chart boost. Applause was still in the top 10 at that point in time and it most definitely would have catapulted to #1.

Lady Gaga doesn't owe us anything

AJRocketMan
3 hours ago, Lady Papa said:

I can't believe I live in a world where Dope charted higher than Marry the Night :mark:

Gaga fatigue was real in late 2011. Also, I find Marry the Night to be too campy for the mainstream and the production is very overbearing. The music video was fabulous though. “Dope” was refreshing and earnest and that’s why it caught people’s attention at the time.

3 hours ago, Anderson123 said:

Actually Troy wanted Dope as a single because of Lorde and Adele's success, they wanted a ballad. She didn't want them to mold her into the popstar they wanted so she was being a rebel at that time. Dope is a great song but I kind of feel like she was pressured to change it and include it on the album.

Edit: I could be wrong about this by the way but I'm pretty sure it's from a recent Chromatica interview, I can't find it.

Actually, the label loved “I Wanna Be with You”, which Gaga believed they only did because Adele was extremely successful on the charts, and she retaliated against them by turning it into “Dope”. The latter’s creation was an act of rebellion against Interscope’s love of the former. Gaga has talked about this.

4 hours ago, whoresup said:

Applause came out in August and the YouTube Music Awards were in November so it had already passed its chance

Nope, it still had around 100m+ radio audience impressions at the time so it would've easily went #1 had it topped the streaming songs chart like Dope did (her only #1 to date).

Archived