Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP is better than chromatica

Frivolero

Featured Posts

kinniejuice

For me, and I don't know if this is some form of neutrality or not but I like certain songs from certain albums. It's not exactly about the album as a whole, but more of "what song reflects my inner-space today?" and I favor songs accordingly with that method. Then again, I'm also not passionate about debating, so have at it. I just came here to drop in my own two-sense on the topic :)

I know that I personally quite like Chromatica's "Replay" at the moment, but for a long time I would only listen to ARTPOP's "G.U.Y." I suppose it's all just matter of taste for certain individuals.

simping for fictional men

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan the Gaga Stan

Personally for me I love both albums.

I LOVED the start of the ARTPOP era, even though the latter end was not good for Gaga and also the era. But the announcement after the break betwen BTW, then the iTunes festival, Applause etc was amazing, then the teasers before album release was amazing. And it’s such a colourful energetic album. But for me the live performances such as iTunes festival were better than the studio versions. Especially Aura, Sexx Dreams, ARTPOP. The ARTPOP iTunes version is one of my fave songs of hers.

but Chromatica for me is even better, it’s more polished, “cohesive” and I think is pretty much flawless from start to finish. I would say Chromatica is her best album since BTW and TFM. In my opinion of course. And the opener Alice is one of her best album openers (although she is the queen of album openers as all of her albums have amazing openers!) 

Mother of Puppies

hmmm ARTPOP is probably my least favorite album... O.o

and Chromatica is my favorite.. sooorrraaayy

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

lilboyblue
On 1/18/2021 at 12:45 PM, Frivolero said:

ARTPOP 

Artistic Revolution Through the Potential Of Pop

lady-gaga-guy-artpop-film-new-music-vide

Daring. Bold. Powerful

ARTPOP has bigger balls than Chromatica.

Chromatica is safe and easy; simple beat drops, safe camp concepts over simple lyrics. 

ARTPOP is hard, tough and ahead of its time. Chromatica had amazing visuals, but that failed to translate in the music. 

It's not a statement as much as just a move of passion. 

63697760336f55bfdc3dc5e0312472af.jpg

I'm not a wandering slave I am a woman of choice. 

tumblr_n2v9dyVaLw1qc2jhfo1_500.gif

That is all. 

Where is all of this reflected in the ACTUAL album except for maybe one or a couple of songs?

Chromatica is far and away a more coherent AND cohesive body of work.

Chromatican

Gagadaily needs to differentiate albums from eras. An album being good is different from an era being well executed. ARTPOP was the more complete and realized era, Chromatica is the superior album.

FameHookah
On 1/18/2021 at 4:41 AM, Son of ARTPOP said:

Been observing this forum for years and honestly it's very tiring with the formula X is "better", "superior", etc. than Y. I think an actual discussion about each of the album's highlights and flaws would be way more enticing.

I'm feeling very nostalgic towards ARTPOP but I appreciate greatly Chromatica as well. You can definetely see Gaga's growth as a person. I'd say she's way more aware of the responsibilities and opportunities of her platform. I see ARTPOP as a bold, brave, defiant and quite defensive body of work. Gaga's creative approach is so strong that the album rejects the idea of being just one single thing (sth that Chromatica achieves quite easily). ARTPOP as a continuation of BTW sees Gaga at her most overwhelming chapter of her career. I think we can agree ARTPOP's delivery is way more immature than BTW's [I think it was an inteded move as a reaction to the "we figured you out" of the media and GP - her response "I won't be defined by anyone else and my art can mean anything"], but both records I see as a reflection of Gaga's state of mind: "I have sth to say and I'll say it at all costs".

Chromatica, on the other hand, is way more tame in its production, simple in its message which leads it to be way more streamlined and (GGD's favourite word) cohesive. I gotta say it took me several listens to love the album, whereas I was instantly hooked on ARTPOP. What surprised me was Chromatica's vulnerability and openness to Gaga's trauma, there's nothing abstract about it like it was on ARTPOP. I see this album as a point of Gaga's state of mind where she's realised the magnitude of her platform's potential and her responsibility to use it to deliver her message properly. Anyone who's into linguistics will know that in communication and language quite often what matters is not WHAT you say but HOW you say it i.e. be heard and understood >>> say what you think. So I can see a lot of work went into that on Chromatica. Gaga's message of kindness and self-love (the "what"part) has been here for quite a while, but I think Chromatica is her first successful attempt at finding the right tools to channel it properly into a single body of work (the "how part). I admire her for doing that.

When it comes to personal preference, I like ARTPOP more. It's the more interesting album of the two in terms of production and lyrics, but the mixing of the album and it's in-your-face loudness are bad at some points. Chromatica has a somewhat boring straightforward production and what I find disappointing is that the lyrics are dumbed down on purpose to fit the pop formula (this must require hard work to be done actually cause you convey the message with less words, but I'm not a huge fan of it - compare the lyrics of 100 Doves - final vs. piano demo, the demo just hits harder). The mixing is great, it sounds so rich, detailed, I love listening to it on headphones.

P.S. Venus and Alice are the biggest, most important events in her discography. They bring me out-of-body experiences. :queenga:

Basically this also.. wheew the Taste!

WTF is MDNA

LUCARTPOP
On 1/18/2021 at 11:41 AM, Son of ARTPOP said:

Been observing this forum for years and honestly it's very tiring with the formula X is "better", "superior", etc. than Y. I think an actual discussion about each of the album's highlights and flaws would be way more enticing.

I'm feeling very nostalgic towards ARTPOP but I appreciate greatly Chromatica as well. You can definetely see Gaga's growth as a person. I'd say she's way more aware of the responsibilities and opportunities of her platform. I see ARTPOP as a bold, brave, defiant and quite defensive body of work. Gaga's creative approach is so strong that the album rejects the idea of being just one single thing (sth that Chromatica achieves quite easily). ARTPOP as a continuation of BTW sees Gaga at her most overwhelming chapter of her career. I think we can agree ARTPOP's delivery is way more immature than BTW's [I think it was an inteded move as a reaction to the "we figured you out" of the media and GP - her response "I won't be defined by anyone else and my art can mean anything"], but both records I see as a reflection of Gaga's state of mind: "I have sth to say and I'll say it at all costs".

Chromatica, on the other hand, is way more tame in its production, simple in its message which leads it to be way more streamlined and (GGD's favourite word) cohesive. I gotta say it took me several listens to love the album, whereas I was instantly hooked on ARTPOP. What surprised me was Chromatica's vulnerability and openness to Gaga's trauma, there's nothing abstract about it like it was on ARTPOP. I see this album as a point of Gaga's state of mind where she's realised the magnitude of her platform's potential and her responsibility to use it to deliver her message properly. Anyone who's into linguistics will know that in communication and language quite often what matters is not WHAT you say but HOW you say it i.e. be heard and understood >>> say what you think. So I can see a lot of work went into that on Chromatica. Gaga's message of kindness and self-love (the "what"part) has been here for quite a while, but I think Chromatica is her first successful attempt at finding the right tools to channel it properly into a single body of work (the "how part). I admire her for doing that.

When it comes to personal preference, I like ARTPOP more. It's the more interesting album of the two in terms of production and lyrics, but the mixing of the album and it's in-your-face loudness are bad at some points. Chromatica has a somewhat boring straightforward production and what I find disappointing is that the lyrics are dumbed down on purpose to fit the pop formula (this must require hard work to be done actually cause you convey the message with less words, but I'm not a huge fan of it - compare the lyrics of 100 Doves - final vs. piano demo, the demo just hits harder). The mixing is great, it sounds so rich, detailed, I love listening to it on headphones.

P.S. Venus and Alice are the biggest, most important events in her discography. They bring me out-of-body experiences. :queenga:

No one could have said it any better! :bradley: 

TheSlash

ARTPOP was bolder, yes. But it was just as much all over the place. A song about how she got raped, then about Fashion World standards, then Fashion itself, then smoking weed, then a song dedicated to her fans, then about her travelling the world, and then a song how she loves the applause.

While nobody can deny that the individual songs are ICONIQUE, Chromatica has a better storytelling and songs just as bold as ARTPOP was :lana:

Ew, David!

I will always skip Dope, Gypsy, MANiCURE, J&D, MJH and Donatella.

The only ones I tend to skip on Chromatica are Fun Tonight/Free Woman. 

Less fillers means Chromatica >>>>>

www.youtube.com/jmremixes

Cello

I much prefer Chromatica. It has no skips, it's cohesive and each track has beautiful production and lyrics. 

ARTPOP was great at the time but I only listen to 3 or 4 songs on it now. Loved the era though, it made me stan. :pawsup:

she/her 👹🖤 | 🚫Tabloid Junkie🎶

Genuine Guy 09

Absolutely not. ARTPOP stans were always in denial about that album. It nearly ruined Gaga's career for a reason :billie:

Although if you revisit ARTPOP you may be surprised. It aged well and there's some bops. 

Stare at the Chartster in the mirror they talk to me too. #StreamFunTonight

Archived