Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP is better than chromatica

Frivolero

Featured Posts

AJRocketMan

Some songs sound like they could easily be part of the same album. Namely: Venus, Sexxx Dreams, Do What U Want, ARTPOP, Fashion!, Dope, 911, Plastic Doll, Replay, Sine From Above, 1000 Doves

There would have to be some minor adjustments to the AP tracks to make them sound less electro and more deep (namely the beats, more reverb, more hi-hats, and squelchier bass). There should also be more equalization and less compression, along with some more clever use of panning... but even Chromatica isn’t that impressive on those fronts either — modern dance music in general is really bad with using too many channels and not enough post-production.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SHALLOW

I totally agree and i've said this so many times but people don't wanna see facts as they are :enigma:

The only better thing about Chromatica is the 911 MV which is now my fave

eifulien

Been observing this forum for years and honestly it's very tiring with the formula X is "better", "superior", etc. than Y. I think an actual discussion about each of the album's highlights and flaws would be way more enticing.

I'm feeling very nostalgic towards ARTPOP but I appreciate greatly Chromatica as well. You can definetely see Gaga's growth as a person. I'd say she's way more aware of the responsibilities and opportunities of her platform. I see ARTPOP as a bold, brave, defiant and quite defensive body of work. Gaga's creative approach is so strong that the album rejects the idea of being just one single thing (sth that Chromatica achieves quite easily). ARTPOP as a continuation of BTW sees Gaga at her most overwhelming chapter of her career. I think we can agree ARTPOP's delivery is way more immature than BTW's [I think it was an inteded move as a reaction to the "we figured you out" of the media and GP - her response "I won't be defined by anyone else and my art can mean anything"], but both records I see as a reflection of Gaga's state of mind: "I have sth to say and I'll say it at all costs".

Chromatica, on the other hand, is way more tame in its production, simple in its message which leads it to be way more streamlined and (GGD's favourite word) cohesive. I gotta say it took me several listens to love the album, whereas I was instantly hooked on ARTPOP. What surprised me was Chromatica's vulnerability and openness to Gaga's trauma, there's nothing abstract about it like it was on ARTPOP. I see this album as a point of Gaga's state of mind where she's realised the magnitude of her platform's potential and her responsibility to use it to deliver her message properly. Anyone who's into linguistics will know that in communication and language quite often what matters is not WHAT you say but HOW you say it i.e. be heard and understood >>> say what you think. So I can see a lot of work went into that on Chromatica. Gaga's message of kindness and self-love (the "what"part) has been here for quite a while, but I think Chromatica is her first successful attempt at finding the right tools to channel it properly into a single body of work (the "how part). I admire her for doing that.

When it comes to personal preference, I like ARTPOP more. It's the more interesting album of the two in terms of production and lyrics, but the mixing of the album and it's in-your-face loudness are bad at some points. Chromatica has a somewhat boring straightforward production and what I find disappointing is that the lyrics are dumbed down on purpose to fit the pop formula (this must require hard work to be done actually cause you convey the message with less words, but I'm not a huge fan of it - compare the lyrics of 100 Doves - final vs. piano demo, the demo just hits harder). The mixing is great, it sounds so rich, detailed, I love listening to it on headphones.

P.S. Venus and Alice are the biggest, most important events in her discography. They bring me out-of-body experiences. :queenga:

BABYL0N

let‘s remember all the songs
Aura - A skip
Venus - a good song but nothing groundbreaking 
G.U.Y - A skip 
Sexxx Dreams - you‘re not always in the mood for it 
JnD - A skip 
MANiCURE - A major skip 
ARTPOP - one of her best songs 
Swine - heard this song once, muted it since then, a skipskip 
Donatella - its alright
Fashion! - A skip 
Mary Jane Holland - its okay
Dope - skip, Dope is just not the same as IWBWY
Gypsy - the album highlight 
Applause - iconic, the perfect album closer and the perfect lead single

Maybe if ARTPOP had TEA, Brooklyn Nights, Tinnitus, Nothing On (But The Radio) and Princess Die and other unreleased songs it could compete with Chromatica or maybe as an 8 Track EP but overall it’s not on Chromaticas level

could Chromatica be an EP? simply no, it has not one skip, it’s cohesive, it’s has brilliant lyrics and a clean production and its very reliable, very deep and personal

sure we didn’t have paparazzi photos, many interviews and performances and many other things that define an era but we are not comparing the eras here but the music only

conclusion: Chromatica > ARTPOP

(my personal opinion)

LGMonster95

ARTPOP is too much of a messy album to be compared with Chromatica, yes it does have some very good highs but it has lows aswell and It's not that well balanced. Too many tracks uses recycled beats that gets too loud sometimes

SchwineLove
7 hours ago, Ouranos said:

I’ll just say I don’t really skip songs on ARTPOP 

chromatica tho I skip a few

I'm the exact opposite which further prove the OP's argument : Chromatica is safe and easy-listening, I can listen to it nonstop in maybe 3 album spins. ARTPOP is bolder and more iconic, therefore it's getting tiring to listen even after one spin.

SchwineLove
1 hour ago, Son of ARTPOP said:

Been observing this forum for years and honestly it's very tiring with the formula X is "better", "superior", etc. than Y. I think an actual discussion about each of the album's highlights and flaws would be way more enticing.

I'm feeling very nostalgic towards ARTPOP but I appreciate greatly Chromatica as well. You can definetely see Gaga's growth as a person. I'd say she's way more aware of the responsibilities and opportunities of her platform. I see ARTPOP as a bold, brave, defiant and quite defensive body of work. Gaga's creative approach is so strong that the album rejects the idea of being just one single thing (sth that Chromatica achieves quite easily). ARTPOP as a continuation of BTW sees Gaga at her most overwhelming chapter of her career. I think we can agree ARTPOP's delivery is way more immature than BTW's [I think it was an inteded move as a reaction to the "we figured you out" of the media and GP - her response "I won't be defined by anyone else and my art can mean anything"], but both records I see as a reflection of Gaga's state of mind: "I have sth to say and I'll say it at all costs".

Chromatica, on the other hand, is way more tame in its production, simple in its message which leads it to be way more streamlined and (GGD's favourite word) cohesive. I gotta say it took me several listens to love the album, whereas I was instantly hooked on ARTPOP. What surprised me was Chromatica's vulnerability and openness to Gaga's trauma, there's nothing abstract about it like it was on ARTPOP. I see this album as a point of Gaga's state of mind where she's realised the magnitude of her platform's potential and her responsibility to use it to deliver her message properly. Anyone who's into linguistics will know that in communication and language quite often what matters is not WHAT you say but HOW you say it i.e. be heard and understood >>> say what you think. So I can see a lot of work went into that on Chromatica. Gaga's message of kindness and self-love (the "what"part) has been here for quite a while, but I think Chromatica is her first successful attempt at finding the right tools to channel it properly into a single body of work (the "how part). I admire her for doing that.

When it comes to personal preference, I like ARTPOP more. It's the more interesting album of the two in terms of production and lyrics, but the mixing of the album and it's in-your-face loudness are bad at some points. Chromatica has a somewhat boring straightforward production and what I find disappointing is that the lyrics are dumbed down on purpose to fit the pop formula (this must require hard work to be done actually cause you convey the message with less words, but I'm not a huge fan of it - compare the lyrics of 100 Doves - final vs. piano demo, the demo just hits harder). The mixing is great, it sounds so rich, detailed, I love listening to it on headphones.

P.S. Venus and Alice are the biggest, most important events in her discography. They bring me out-of-body experiences. :queenga:

You are so on point. point. point! *snap snap*

Awakened M

Why? Why are you doing this?😂 Chromatica is ARTPOP's sister. Leave them alone!:messga:

I'm not getting any sleep tonight because I woke up to a beautiful life. I'm awake.

hieronymus

Yeah, somehow ARTPOP sounds less dated even though it's going on 8 years old. The writing is also much better on AP.

Chromatica just feels like a cry for help a lot of the time

alsemanche
3 hours ago, kukuryku666 said:

Born This Way is better than Chromatica

The Fame Monster is better than Chromatica

I mean.. Tea

Soft, soothing, and succulent

newseason

In terms of performances, visuals and the overall concept ARTPOP was really interesting and entertaining although Chromatica had/has the potential as well. 

In terms of style/genres both are quite varied, although ARTPOP seems to be a bit more diverse if we are talking specifically about song structure whereas Chromatica is a bit more repetitive. Both are electronic / dance pop records at their core, but with different approaches (production wise) and influences so I wouldn't say that one is better and the other worse. To me, they are quite equal in this aspect, although both have tracks that I don't really listen to. 

In terms of vocals I would say that her vocals are more interesting and experimental in ARTPOP but more mature and soulful in Chromatica. 

Lyricwise I choose Chromatica, hands down. I have been listening to Gaga since autumn of 2008 but I had never been able to connect to her music on a deep level like I did with many other artists, mainly because although I found some of her lyrics interesting or funny, I could not relate to them in any way (with some exceptions of course) until the release of Joanne. I feel like Chromatica continues the more mature and raw style of lyrics that represented Joanne, which I really appreciate. I mean, how can anyone who struggled with anxiety, depression or others not relate to songs such as Alice, Rain on Me or Fun Tonight? It s way easier for me to relate to a track which has a specific theme than some of her more metaphoric (?) / quirky type of lyrics from ARTPOP. 

ARTPOPFrankenstein

Agreed. ARTPOP is the most artistic thing gaga has ever done. Just wish we could have more or it

hieronymus
2 minutes ago, Rio said:

How does one not skip Fun Tonight is beyond me

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've listened to it. All aspects of it make me grimace

Archived