Sign in to follow this  
politics

Fox News Viewership Plummets: First Time Behind CNN & MSNBC In Two Decades

BUtterfield 8

960x0.jpg?cropX1=0&cropX2=4657&cropY1=0&

over the first two weeks of 2021, it has averaged fewer viewers throughout the day than both CNN and MSNBC, and the numbers have been especially stark since the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol and the subsequent impeachment of President Trump.

A Mediate post earlier this week detailed how the recent, historic news cycle has been "perfect fodder" for CNN and MSNBC. As those two networks zeroed in on chaos caused by pro-Trump supporters in and around the Capitol and the subsequent impeachment proceedings, Fox News has "opted to cover lesser stories, like tech censorship, in prime time." In addition, Newsmax and OAN, smaller rival networks that have been promoted by Trump, have chipped away at Fox's ratings. Many pundits have also pointed out the hypocrisy evident from popular Fox hosts in their coverage of the violent insurrectionists that attacked the Capitol. As of last Saturday, according tothe New York Times, no Fox News prime-time star had blamed Trump for his role in inciting the riot that resulted in five deaths. On the night of Jan 6., Fox News' Tucker Carlson condemned the violence that took place, but he also expressed sympathy for many of the "deeply frustrated" Trump supporters who engaged in the attack, explaining that "millions of Americans sincerely believe the last election was fake," striking a sharp contrast to how Carlson and others have characterized protesters affiliated with the Black Lives Matters movement. Over the summer, Carlson described BLM as "poison," yet, Carlson referred to the pro-Trump mob as "kind of solid Americans." Fox News host Laura Ingraham told her viewers that night, without offering any evidence, that the rioters "were likely not all Trump supporters" and that "because of a small contingent of loons, these patriots have been unfairly maligned."

"The unified wall of support for Trump has splintered after last week's assault on the Capitol," said Mark Lukasiewicz, a former TV executive and who now serves as Dean of Hofstra's School of Communication. "Tristan Harris famously said that social networks are about 'affirmation, not information' — and the same can be said about cable news, especially in primetime." 

According to the L.A. Times, citing Nielsen data, Fox News "can fare better when railing against a White House administration rather than having to defend it."

Source

• YAAAS 5

Chromatican

The problem is Trumpers just moved on to more propagandistic programming like OAN and Newsmax. 

• Like 6

thatfoxyfeeling

I just see white. 

ItWasntLaauv

I would like to think this is a good thing, but all I see is Trump people moving from one sh*tty news source to an even sh*ttier, more dangerous one.

• Like 4

Bubblegum Bitch

imagine caring about tv in 2021 😭😭😭

• Like 1

hankhatesyouall

That's what they deserve for backstabbing Trump supporters. Anyway, TV is irrelevant in 2021.

FATCAT
40 minutes ago, hankhatesyouall said:

That's what they deserve for backstabbing Trump supporters. Anyway, TV is irrelevant in 2021.

Not stupid enough for Trump supporters, you mean :ladyhaha:

Purr more, hiss less.

Rio
2 hours ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

I would like to think this is a good thing, but all I see is Trump people moving from one sh*tty news source to an even sh*ttier, more dangerous one.

Yeah, like QAnon instagram pages

Chromatican
1 hour ago, Bubblegum Bitch said:

imagine caring about tv in 2021 😭😭😭

1 hour ago, hankhatesyouall said:

TV is still very relevant you guys. Almost half of Americans get their news from TV.

• Like 1

FATCAT
2 hours ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

This is true, but the less legitimate these sources are the less likely they are to survive legal challenges when they lie. 

Purr more, hiss less.

JusKeepBreathin
3 hours ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

960x0.jpg?cropX1=0&cropX2=4657&cropY1=0&

"Tristan Harris famously said that social networks are about 'affirmation, not information' — and the same can be said about cable news, especially in primetime.

That all I needed to read.

Also we need the reset.

Edited by JusKeepBreathin
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.