Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Dua : 'I've never seen being pretty or beautiful as some kind of power'

Teletubby

Featured Posts

PopMusicForever
1 hour ago, Concertaholic said:

That’s a new one for me, I laughed so hard :billie:

I don’t understand why people make fun of her name and idk why it’s so hard to pronounce it for some? 💀 Isn’t that mocking her culture or her home language or where she comes from? 🤔 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kadikaado

Privileged people don't realize their own privileges, so yes, I totally believe her.

I am authistic, so don't be offended if I make a mess sometimes.

Regina George
5 minutes ago, PopMusicForever said:

I don’t understand why people make fun of her name and idk why it’s so hard to pronounce it for some? 💀 Isn’t that mocking her culture or her home language or where she comes from? 🤔 

Yes it is but people are pricks. 

Regina George

Let’s cancel her because she’s pretty! How dare she? 

PopMusicForever
1 minute ago, Kadikaado said:

Privileged people don't realize their own privileges, so yes, I totally believe her.

You thinking that beauty was the only think that brought her to where she is right now is super ignorant. She moved by herself all the way from Kosovo to London at age of 15 

GagaSine
2 minutes ago, Regina George said:

:awkney:

Bonkers
Just now, Regina George said:

I don't think the problem (if there is a problem) here is that she's beautiful, or that it helped her.

It's that's this statement from her is tone deaf and unaware.  

There's a movie called A Star is Born and there's a character that isn't able to get anywhere in the music industry because of her nose inspite of her incredible talent.  She overcomes when a big celebrity gives her an audience, but before that her looks were holding her back. 

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

Kadikaado
Just now, PopMusicForever said:

You thinking that beauty was the only think that brought her to where she is right now is super ignorant. She moved by herself all the way from Kosovo to London at age of 15 

Where did I say that her beauty was the only thing? Someone needs interpretation text classes.

I am authistic, so don't be offended if I make a mess sometimes.

5 hours ago, weed said:

obviously great sentiment but like... she was a model before a pop star :laughga:

5 hours ago, Chic said:

I mean yeah but if her name was Chungo and she had a barrel belly, I'm not sure the public would receive her the same way

5 hours ago, Regina George said:

TO be honest her name is not as usual as Ashley and people to this day even in here keep making fun of her name calling her Dua Pipa, Duo Lingo, Dula Peep.... So I don’t understand the name sentiment. 

Also OT yes she was model before being a singer but she worked extremely hard (even more in last two years) to be where she is rn. She is one of the hardest working people in the industry.

5 hours ago, bionic said:

Why did she think she was chosen to be a model

4 hours ago, dit said:

the context of this comment is needed. when you read the whole article it mentions that the interviewer made the comment at first about how Dua's beauty may have helped her career which obviously felt like it discredited Dua's years of hard work and hustle (literally since she was 9) and so Dua responded politely but quickly to try and change the convo. A few days later Dua did a video call with the same interviewer and brought up her question again indicating that it rightfully bothered her a bit but still managed to make her think about it and here she owns the fact that she is pretty and she does not deny it (meaning she is aware) BUT that she would not associate it as the main factor in her success. And low key she is totally right. How many stunning popgirls appeared and disappeared right after one hit single? MANY. Some because of horrible labels, lack of talent etc..but many also because they just did not have the work ethic and ambition that Dua has and so this is why she is right. Beauty can only get you so far. Talent and hard work is what makes you STICK and so far Dua's career is looking great. 

4 hours ago, littlepotter said:

A non attractive person would never have gotten away with singing the type of songs she does. That's why musical geniuses are most often unattractive, the pretty ones don't have to try as hard :billie:

4 hours ago, bloody grammys said:

she didn’t get there because of that but it helped. beauty privilege is very very real

4 hours ago, Dulo Peep said:

For example, Madison Beer is struggling to esstablish herself as a name in the industry, her music is very decent but her looks are out of this world. How come she is not ruling the charts yet? Another example that beauty is just a small part of the pop world. You have to have something else, a k a TALENT

The same applies to Dua, Britney and Justin. Yes they are pretty, but their talent is beyond. Not all pretty people make it this big due to looks only. 

4 hours ago, NewUsername said:

Lol, exactly.

She's of course exactly right that she's more than her beauty and that sometimes people would just see her as that + that she's worked hard and that her beauty doesn't discredit that, but Dua, please, of course your beauty has helped.

@Kermit the frog Indeed, I appreciate when stars have inspirational messages like "follow your dreams" etc, but it's also eye-rolling inducing when they only talk about "it's hard work" and "everyone can become famous/successful". Like, no, hard work is one of the usual parts of it.
Most of the time it's a combination of hard work, talent, money and/or connections and as you said: luck.

4 hours ago, RahrahWitch said:

Not dismissing her hard work but to say her beauty had no part to play in an industry that's heavily sexualized is a bit confusing. It most definitely played a huge factor in her success as well as countless other people.

3 hours ago, ShayCristoforo said:

Nice, but you gotta understand attractive privilege lol 

3 hours ago, Wet Fire said:

I think she means she didn't consciously use her beauty as a means of her success as a musician. And her success is largely due to her hard work. She's right in this respect.

However, she didn't phrase it properly. Her words seem to dismiss the fact that good looking people comparatively fare better. Because also Beyoncé's success is to a good extent due to her beauty and sex appeal. Does this mean she didn't work hard or isn't talented? Not at all.

If two people are equally talented and hard working, chances are that the privileged one will find it less difficult to make it big.

3 hours ago, SlipAway said:

She's a white rich girl who came from money. She is as privileged as it gets. 

3 hours ago, 777777777777777777 said:

so you must be one of those pretty, beautiful privileged people:haroon:

3 hours ago, elijahfan said:

Typical **** gorgeous people say :ladyhaha:

3 hours ago, Agunimon said:

I understand and appreciate what she is trying to say here, but to reach a certain age and go through even normal life and not realize that attractive people hold power and status is rather ignorant.

Being beautiful doesn’t discredit the hard work that you put in, or mean that it came easy to you. You were just given something that benefits you in society.

Much like how minorities feel about white privilege. It’s not something you should feel guilty for but not something you should pretend doesn’t attribute to your life. The same can be said for growing up in a wealthy home, growing up in a family where parents are supportive, etc. 

3 hours ago, Cookie Woman said:

This reeeeally turns me off from her...

1 hour ago, Nikolai Barrow said:

Her beauty certainly helped her get her foot in the door. But there are plenty of supermodels out there that wouldn't be able to do what Dua did. So I understand what she means. It came across as tone deaf because she's absolutely gorgeous, but it must be hard for people to discredit her hard work because she's beautiful. It's like that trope. People think women can't be beautiful and intelligent at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

This lacks self awareness.  If you think white privilege is powerful, it's nothing compared to beautiful privilege.  

When you're beautiful, people are nicer.  People want to be around you, to give you things and opportunities.  People feel better about themselves when they have beautiful friends.  

Like white privilege, it's not enough on it's own - Dua definitely earned her success - but don't discount the fact that growing up beautiful means that she felt supported and wanted and popular which makes it so much easier to stand in front of people with the confidence necessary to succeed. 

1 hour ago, dolce vita said:

:rip: 

her looking the way she looks completely helped her career, of course hard work helped too but if she looked like an average looking white girl she wouldn’t have gotten nearly as far as she has done. that’s why almost always you will see conventionally attractive singers in the music industry, especially among female artists. male artists are definitely more privileged in that regard since they can get away with not having as many conditions placed on them. 

1 hour ago, LDGA said:

What did Lipa do to all of you. Did she kicked your dog or killed your mother or something? 

She is right in whats she is saying, there are a lot of models who wants to switch careers, like becoming a singer, actress, etc and they fail just because they lack talent and charisma. Being beauty will not take you as far as Lipa has arrived, that is a fact. Also, being beautiful does not make things easy for everyone, there is no such thing as "beauty privilege" you really need to turn off your phone or PC, then go out and take a cup of reality. 

1 hour ago, r4therupbeat said:

only pretty people never heard of pretty privilege 

1 hour ago, Pharamon said:

that's exactly what a beautiful and pretty person would say :oprah:

56 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

I- 

Is there anything else left to say :interestinga:

41 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

God every time I start to stan Levitating (stream it you fats so it breaks into the top 10!!), she says or does something stupid that immediately turns me off of her :bradley: 

23 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

Dua bb what are you doing :bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear:

20 minutes ago, Runway said:

She can’t even acknowledge how her privilege made things easier for her

13 minutes ago, Kadikaado said:

We are 6 pages in and no one and not even Dua fans have brought this up yet but Dua literally was told to lose weight when trying to be a model (in which she refused). I don't think it's impossible she legit didn't find herself pretty when she's being told stuff like losing weight :selena::selena::selena::selena::selena::selena:

Agunimon
5 minutes ago, Werk said:

We are 6 pages in and no one and not even Dua fans have brought this up yet but Dua literally was told to lose weight when trying to be a model (in which she refused). I don't think it's impossible she legit didn't find herself pretty when she's being told stuff like losing weight :selena:

you really called the class in for that :koons:

vyniildisk
2 minutes ago, Werk said:

We are 6 pages in and no one and not even Dua fans have brought this up yet but Dua literally was told to lose weight when trying to be a model (in which she refused). I don't think it's impossible she legit didn't find herself pretty when she's being told stuff like losing weight :selena::selena::selena::selena::selena::selena:

Vine Ok GIF

bionic
10 minutes ago, Werk said:

OK that's sad to hear and glad she overcame that but she was a model and lifestyle promoter for years

buy bionic

vyniildisk
1 minute ago, Agunimon said:

He said you're a bad Stan :billie::billie::billie::billie::billie::billie::billie::billie::billie:

aparently basic hoes think i'm actually a Dua hater so, i still want to scalp ha don't get me wrong

1 minute ago, Dulo Peep said:

aparently basic hoes think i'm actually a Dua hater so, i still want to scalp ha don't get me wrong

Why do you want to scalp Dua :rip: 

Archived