INCREDIBLE The Late Late Show Performance

moonsago

Featured Posts

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
moonsago
Just now, FATCAT said:

That many people in a boy band? Clearly just an attempt to market...

It could be but is there something wrong with that? Marketing isn’t a bad thing, all popstars do it. They are also slipt into 3 units, dance, rap and vocal and each are in charge of those 3 aspects when it comes to their music. I don’t think putting that many talented people together to see what can come out of it is a bad thing though. And also, just because the west does 3-5 member groups, that doesn’t mean it’s the right way... its the western way... that’s it. There is no wrong and right way with such things... 

GagaSine
8 minutes ago, moonsago said:

I don’t think it’s corny, its theatrical and over the top but isn’t that what Gaga is too? I mean... idk if corny is the word to use when you are on a Lady Gaga site :smh: But it’s okay, I understand, it’s not your type of corny lol I just wanted to share the performance as I thought it checked all the boxes ( in my opinion ) for a great one. 

It’s a different kind of corniness, and I feel like when Gaga is corny it is not nearly as in your face as this. Idk how to explain it but it’s how they’re trying to act smooth and slick but it just feels so very forced. Like i just don’t find what they’re trying to sell believable in any way.

I absolutely don't mind Korean artists (I been to Korea for six months) but it literally sounds like a Bruno Mars reject from 2011
10+ guys ain't gonna change my mind

moonsago
1 minute ago, hoeslay said:

ok im sorry what visuals are they serving? t shirt and jeans and 2011 production?

Well at least they are doing something in their performances. And did you watch the entire performance? They don’t wear just a shirt and a pair of jeans... 

4 minutes ago, Serial Chiller said:

How are you just realizing that K-pop is basically consumerist capitalism in musical form :bear:

Not that you cant enjoy it but

And what is American pop? Something else? Are they doing it for free in America? No. 

And there’s nothing wrong with that but making it seem like only kpop is that way or manufactured and so on is kinda hypocritical when it’s literally the same everywhere, everybody is trying to make money out of music. 

moonsago
4 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

It’s a different kind of corniness, and I feel like when Gaga is corny it is not nearly as in your face as this. Idk how to explain it but it’s how they’re trying to act smooth and slick but it just feels so very forced. Like i just don’t find what they’re trying to sell believable in any way.

I can understand that and respect your opinion. It is indeed different and not for everyone just like how Gaga too is not for everyone and that’s okay. :heart:

moonsago
5 minutes ago, SlipAway said:

I absolutely don't mind Korean artists (I been to Korea for six months) but it literally sounds like a Bruno Mars reject from 2011
10+ guys ain't gonna change my mind

And that’s okay, I wasn’t trying to change your mind lol I just found the performance very well done and polished and I wanted to share it for the people that also like big performances. I wasn’t even discussing the song which isn’t necessarily one of my favorites from them either. 

Serial Chiller
7 minutes ago, moonsago said:

Well at least they are doing something in their performances. And did you watch the entire performance? They don’t wear just a shirt and a pair of jeans... 

And what is American pop? Something else? Are they doing it for free in America? No. 

And there’s nothing wrong with that but making it seem like only kpop is that way or manufactured and so on is kinda hypocritical when it’s literally the same everywhere, everybody is trying to make money out of music. 

Oh i know you’re a kpop fan and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

But to even compare the level of manufacturing and calculating in Kpop to American pop is just delusional.

There have been countless of breakout Western hits and artists that went from obscure/ independent to mainstream thanks to viral success. 

In the past 10 years I can think of 2 examples from Korea- Gangnam Style- which was sheer miracle that no one expected, and Way back home by Shaun, and seeing how Kpop fans reacted to the latter success- by calling for investigation of fraud, tells me how much Kpop fans aren’t used to the idea of breakout independent artists.

The K-pop industry as people know it is a seamless machine that controls the talent scouting to the training to the production to the release to the promotion to the merchandising. Literally everything is under the grip of the entertainment companies. 

But I really don’t have to tell you this. Kpop fans know better than anyone that their faves have almost zero artistic control over their image or music. Not denying their talent and drive. These are completely separate aspects. 

You can enjoy them without assigning imaginary attributes like integrity and authenticity.

23 minutes ago, moonsago said:

And that’s okay, I wasn’t trying to change your mind lol I just found the performance very well done and polished and I wanted to share it for the people that also like big performances. I wasn’t even discussing the song which isn’t necessarily one of my favorites from them either. 

So as long as the performance is <3 sparkly <3 it's fine? Okey-dokey

moonsago
17 minutes ago, Serial Chiller said:

Oh i know you’re a kpop fan and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

But to even compare the level of manufacturing and calculating in Kpop to American pop is just delusional.

There have been countless of breakout Western hits and artists that went from obscure/ independent to mainstream thanks to viral success. 

In the past 10 years I can think of 2 examples from Korea- Gangnam Style- which was sheer miracle that no one expected, and Way back home by Shaun, and seeing how Kpop fans reacted to the latter success- by calling for investigation of fraud, tells me how much Kpop fans aren’t used to the idea of breakout independent artists.

The K-pop industry as people know it is a seamless machine that controls the talent scouting to the training to the production to the release to the promotion to the merchandising. Literally everything is under the grip of the entertainment companies. 

But I really don’t have to tell you this. Kpop fans know better than anyone that their faves have almost zero artistic control over their image or music. Not denying their talent and drive. These are completely separate aspects. 

You can enjoy them without assigning imaginary attributes like integrity and authenticity.

Breakout hits in the west that lead to what? A contract under a label that does what for the artist? Strategize their career further on. Just because the ways are different that doesn’t mean they are not capitalizing off of music. I am very aware of how the kpop system works and you seem to know a few things about it too what you fail to acknowledge is that more and more groups ARE given artistic freedom, as I even said about them, they have it! And even if they didn’t, do you mean to tell me all western artists are songwriters that compose and impose their artistic vision in everything they do? No. Most don’t. They have songs sent to them, directors assigned to them, a stylist and a makeup artists too and so on. AND THAT IS OKAY ALSO. Because I personally believe that it’s okay to be just a singer and a performer. You don’t have to be all artsy fartsy and craft everything you do. And so is the case with them nowadays too, there are groups who write their own music and groups who don’t. The same as American artists. Also, questioning these people’s INTEGRITY is a little bit... much don’t you think? Exactly how do they not have integrity? Are they not working for what they have? And for idols that aren’t artsy like how you want them to be, is just dancing and singing and performing not a respectable job to you? There’s no authenticity in being an incredible singer or a dancer? You literally diminish their entire effort with that statement. Is Celine Dion, a vocalist unauthentic because she doesn’t write her songs? The double standard man. 

moonsago
10 minutes ago, SlipAway said:

So as long as the performance is <3 sparkly <3 it's fine? Okey-dokey

I didn’t say that but thank you for putting words into my mouth. I said the song is not necessarily one of my favorites from them and that I wasn’t talking about it in my post because my intention was to show the performance which I thought was great, not the song which I already knew most people wouldn’t care for because it’s in korean. If you think I only like kpop because it’s ‘sparkly’ and not because I genuinely love the music then that’s your problem. But advice for next time, please hear ( or in this case see ) what’s being said to you, not what YOU want to hear. 

FATCAT
1 hour ago, moonsago said:

It could be but is there something wrong with that? Marketing isn’t a bad thing, all popstars do it. They are also slipt into 3 units, dance, rap and vocal and each are in charge of those 3 aspects when it comes to their music. I don’t think putting that many talented people together to see what can come out of it is a bad thing though. And also, just because the west does 3-5 member groups, that doesn’t mean it’s the right way... its the western way... that’s it. There is no wrong and right way with such things... 

I never said it was wrong, just that it was clearly based on marketing 

Purr more, hiss less.

littlepotter

I don't see why we need to have a fight about authenticity every time kpop is brought up on ggd... let them be

That said, while i do enjoy some kpop songs, it's never past the bop aspect for me. I've yet to hear one with substance, that says or does something that hasn't been done tirelessly before. But that's probably just mainstream groups

chaeri pls

Archived