💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Bernie Sanders pushing Biden about Emergency Universal Healthcare

gabeoz
1 hour ago, TheQueenLG said:

He could have pressured Biden to publicly commit to these types of proposals before dropping out, threatening a third party run if Biden failed to capitulate. 

Bernie too often fails to exercise the power/leverage that we give him to meaningfully fight for the policies that he claims to support. 

3 minutes ago, HorusRa2 said:

There is no proof that is what would happen and you saying it doesn't make it true. 

Bernie would have taken away votes from Biden. Biden won by razor thin margins in multiple states and Bernie made it clear that his priority was to defeat Trump by whatever means necessary. I supported Bernie in both 2016 and 2020 (even going to rallies before COVID) but lets not act like going 3rd party wouldnt have bombed Biden's chances and left us with 4 more years of Trump.

3 minutes ago, thedirtymonster said:

Healthcare was the #1 issue in the primary. Bernie, and his ideas, lost the primary, and that was just among Democrats. Enough said.

Universal healthcare/some kind of single payer option is widely supported and what gave Bernie immense support in the primaries. Obama convincing nearly every candidate to drop out the race and endorse Biden a day or two before super Tuesday is what costed Bernie the nomination. 

gabeoz
1 minute ago, Economy said:

Sorry I have to ask what's the L?

Also so sorry this happened to u. Medicals bills u can't afford are no fun

Taking the loss- aka foregoing treatment and leaving it to take over.

Medical bills in the US are ridiculous. A couple years ago I had employer sponsored health insurance and left the hospital $3500 in debt for a 5 hour visit to get a couple bags of IV fluid (which costs virtually nothing to manufacture) and an ultrasound for my kidney stone. 

ALGAYDO
11 minutes ago, thedirtymonster said:

Healthcare was the #1 issue in the primary. Bernie, and his ideas, lost the primary, and that was just among Democrats. Enough said.

You basically just admitted that you don’t care if poor people die 

• Like 7
  • LMAO 1

Economy
Just now, gabeoz said:

Taking the loss- aka foregoing treatment and leaving it to take over.

Medical bills in the US are ridiculous. A couple years ago I had employer sponsored health insurance and left the hospital $3500 in debt for a 5 hour visit to get a couple bags of IV fluid (which costs virtually nothing to manufacture) and an ultrasound for my kidney stone. 

Yeah anything healthcare related is expensive AF and then to have a profit margin inflates cost even more

In Canada healthcare takes up like 45% of our budget costs and we don't even have a fully Universal Healthcare system like Europe (despite the common misconception Canada's healthcare is fully free)

If it takes that much out of the budget to not even cover all aspects of healthcare I can only imagine what an even more expensive system is like without coverage :duck:

Economy
2 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

It sounded more like he was commenting on the ability of getting it done more than whether or not he agrees with the policies themselves. 

I didn't interpret the comment that way at all :huh:

• Sad 1

thedirtymonster
1 minute ago, ALGAYDO said:

That couldn't be further from the truth. And I'm actually kind of offended by that.

There should be a public option in the Affordable Care Act. That's the responsible way to achieve "Universal Healthcare". Remember, "Universal" does NOT equal "single payer". Everyone's goal should be "Universal", meaning that everyone has healthcare, but it isn't paid out by the government. 

Vermont tried to implement Single Payer healthcare with overwhelming support from the public. Even with such resounding support, and even in such a small and relatively well-off state financially, they just couldn't do it. How about once they figure it out in Vermont, then Bernie can rear his head back in the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

E Z
15 minutes ago, Economy said:

Sorry I have to ask what's the L?

Also so sorry this happened to u. Medicals bills u can't afford are no fun

Taking the loss, but I guess paying the bill is also technically a loss :sweat:

Thank you, but I am fortunate enough to have a good paying job and have kept my employment during this pandemic because I can work from home. So many people out there are SO much worse off than I am. Living pay check to pay check. Unemployed. That co-pay is an automatic no for a lot of people. It can be a death sentence if the person decides to walk away. 

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

Economy
3 minutes ago, thedirtymonster said:

That couldn't be further from the truth. And I'm actually kind of offended by that.

There should be a public option in the Affordable Care Act. That's the responsible way to achieve "Universal Healthcare". Remember, "Universal" does NOT equal "single payer". Everyone's goal should be "Universal", meaning that everyone has healthcare, but it isn't paid out by the government. 

Vermont tried to implement Single Payer healthcare with overwhelming support from the public. Even with such resounding support, and even in such a small and relatively well-off state financially, they just couldn't do it. How about once they figure it out in Vermont, then Bernie can rear his head back in the discussion.

It's a delicate process to try and change an entire system to universal. It needs a lot of careful planning and co-operation and political will in addition to being willing to spend the money

US Government just doesn't have that

In my Country we been trying to extend Universal Healthcare more fully for ages like in Europe to cover more stuff. If not dental and vision care at the very least prescriptions. Still in debating after years and years and we already have a mostly universal system in place that could be tweeked to include those things without major logistical headaches

Politics seems to enjoy being complicated :enigma:

I also wanna throw in my general opinion on the topic. Many on GGD despize that I'm not as hardcore left as most of this website is but even I think healthcare is not something that should be privatized. Definitely makes no sense for a variety of reasons.

E Z
7 minutes ago, thedirtymonster said:

Vermont is NOT the United States federal government. It is not a fair comparison. 

Besides, you initial argument isn’t valid. The polls show most Americans agree with Medicare for all but voted for who they thought had the best chance at defeating Trump. End of story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Economy
1 minute ago, E Z said:

Taking the loss, but I guess paying the bill is also technically a loss :sweat:

Thank you, but I am fortunate enough to have a good paying job and have kept my employment during this pandemic because I can work from home. So many people out there are SO much worse off than I am. Living pay check to pay check. Unemployed. That co-pay is an automatic no for a lot of people. It can be a death sentence if the person decides to walk away. 

To have those worries especially during an pandemic. No one should!!!! Glad ur ok tho :heart:

I too have been lucky. The irony is I started my newest job (highest paying job I ever had) when the innitial shutdowns last year started and my dad got a big raise too. And my brother is still working full time

There has never been a year my family and I were better off financially than 2020 and that's ironic AF and I almost feel bad considering how many are struggling

Definitely a Bunce from 2019 cuz my family and I went thru a temporary rough patch for a while but now it's all good

thedirtymonster
Just now, E Z said:

Vermont is NOT the United States federal government. It is not a fair comparison. 

Besides, you initial argument isn’t valid. The polls show most Americans agree with Medicare for all but voted for who they thought had the best chance at defeating Trump. End of story. 

You know what, you're right. Vermont isn't the Federal Government...It should have been much EASIER to implement it in Vermont. They are better-off financially, and there are many fewer people who would've needed to have been covered. If it's not feasible in Vermont with overwhelming support, it's definitely not feasible for the entire federal United States. 

Secondly, even if a *slight* majority of Democrats may have been interested (debatable) in single payer, that's still only like 25% of the population of Americans.

StarstruckIllusion
43 minutes ago, thedirtymonster said:

People just come in here saying dumb **** and for wha 😭

39 minutes ago, HorusRa2 said:

Not to relitigate the primary but what you're saying is not accurate. The primary showed that democrats overwhelmingly agreed with Bernie on healthcare. They did not think he would win against Trump and did not believe individually that others agreed with his agenda. But every primary including the ones Bernie lost all had majority support for medicare for all. 

and then getting clapped for it 👏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jill
37 minutes ago, gabeoz said:

Bernie would have taken away votes from Biden. Biden won by razor thin margins in multiple states and Bernie made it clear that his priority was to defeat Trump by whatever means necessary. I supported Bernie in both 2016 and 2020 (even going to rallies before COVID) but lets not act like going 3rd party wouldnt have bombed Biden's chances and left us with 4 more years of Trump.

Not to mention that the alternative, which is Bernie winning the presidency through a third party, is mathematically impossible and could never happen under the current electoral system.

Love Story at midnight 💛💛

Chromatican
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

And then Trump would have won, dooming every bit of that. Bernie's smarter than that.

Something > nothing

A candidate who promised Universal Healthcare during a pandemic would’ve lost? :awkney:

• Like 3

Jed
2 hours ago, TheQueenLG said:

He could have pressured Biden to publicly commit to these types of proposals before dropping out, threatening a third party run if Biden failed to capitulate. 

Bernie too often fails to exercise the power/leverage that we give him to meaningfully fight for the policies that he claims to support. 

This is idiotic. He would lose any bargaining capital he had left with democrats if he siphoned votes off during the election.