Probably because she used to actually promote her music IDK

That doesn't mean her brand partnerships deserve extra condemnation now :oprah:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Babylon98
50 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

That doesn't mean her brand partnerships deserve extra condemnation now :oprah:

Well when Gaga's art was actually the priority it was easier to overlook these capitalist ventures because at least they served the purpose of sharing art with the world and making people think about stuff (Chromatica could get people to think about mental health if promoted right).

Right now it seems like her priority are the capitalistic ventures and for me personally she looks like a "sell-out" with little interest to share an interesting and developed artistic vision with the world. We're literally getting capitalistic ventures in service of... nothing but her pockets? (and her friends pockets aka people who work for her).

Maybe it's my fault that I expected this from a pop-star so deep into the label machinery where it's all about money but Gaga always made herself to seem like she was all about the art (music not the bling!!111!! etc.), right now it doesn't seem like it.

Dr Fudge

My boyfriend is a pastry chef and whenever he makes cake pops I always sing “we could we could belong together CAKE POP CAKE POP CAKE POOOOOOOOP”

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

OriginalMonster

I was thinking along the same lines today with the Oreos! Glad to see someone else was too. I posted a couple things about it over in the "Gaga teams up w/ Oreo" thread. I don't think it was intentional, though I wish it were, but it's interesting that these elements are coming back into her work again regardless and actually being realized more than they were during ARTPOP itself.

This is basically what I wrote in the other thread (I'll include it here since it fits better anyway):

Spoiler

"In a way this feels like ARTPOP in its original sense of being the reverse of pop art.

Warhol took the soup can off the grocery store shelf and put it on the canvas, bringing popular culture into art. 

Gaga is taking her art out of the studio and putting it on the grocery store shelf, bringing art into popular culture.

While it probably wasn’t her intention, it’s interesting to consider it as if it were.

Ironically, whether she meant to or not, I think she did create a piece of “ARTPOP” here. It’s very much in the spirit of pop art to use an everyday, mundane canvas such as Oreos. It embraces the same kitschy elements that the pop art movement did, and indeed it is now facing the same criticism of commerciality and lack of meaning.

It is different in that this is more than simply her image on an Oreo package or in a commercial, which would only be her promoting a product, but rather a transformation of the entire packaging and even the cookies themselves to really create something new by fusing a popular product with the artistic elements of Chromatica."

Warhol maintained, when asked, that his art had no meaning. If Gaga created this "art pop" unintentionally, then she did not make it with a meaning in mind. But this raises the question, is intention necessary for something to have meaning? Or is art created "accidentally" just as meaningful for what it is or how it may be interpreted?

Blastertoyo
8 hours ago, juede said:

So it got me thinking. Is this the reverse Warholian experience she was talking about. We're buying Oreo cookies with Chromatica branding...art in the face of pop culture...aka ARTPOP. If art and pop can belong together, could gaga and Oreos belong together?

You’re not wrong 

if Gaga had sold it like this just as she said when she said she’s putting soup can art on the soup can

like if she said “I’m putting pop music and pop art onto a capitalist cookie” it would be smart

instead of sHaRe a mEsSaGe oF kInDnEsS tHrOuGh cOoKiEs 

I don’t think she even realizes anymore the warholean nature of her art or pop culture otherwise she would say it 

it does kind of seem like her oeuvre isn’t about having a concise narrative and overarching storyline anymore rather than just a celebrity who’s doing things because she’s a celebrity :huntyga:

please enlighten me to death

Blastertoyo
6 hours ago, FudgeyBear said:

My boyfriend is a pastry chef and whenever he makes cake pops I always sing “we could we could belong together CAKE POP CAKE POP CAKE POOOOOOOOP”

My Art Mop could clean anything 

dog mop GIF

please enlighten me to death

Wet Fire
7 hours ago, zcasx said:

Well when Gaga's art was actually the priority it was easier to overlook these capitalist ventures because at least they served the purpose of sharing art with the world and making people think about stuff (Chromatica could get people to think about mental health if promoted right).

Right now it seems like her priority are the capitalistic ventures and for me personally she looks like a "sell-out" with little interest to share an interesting and developed artistic vision with the world. We're literally getting capitalistic ventures in service of... nothing but her pockets? (and her friends pockets aka people who work for her).

Maybe it's my fault that I expected this from a pop-star so deep into the label machinery where it's all about money but Gaga always made herself to seem like she was all about the art (music not the bling!!111!! etc.), right now it doesn't seem like it.

There is some reason for everything, and if this hasn't happened for the last 5 albums and happening now, I don't think we should jump to conclusions. And she also isn't liable to publicly announce the reasons.

And the only 'art' that you're saying she's not doing is 'marketing' her music (no promo). :ladyhaha: Because having an era is nothing but marketing your music. Yeah, there aren't live performances. I guess she does have a problem with performing now for some unknown reason. Apart from that when it comes to 'art' I think this era has been amazing. 911 is literally one of her all-time best MVs. 

popatemyshart

Yes i agree this is part of a larger plan for chromatica and cookies are JUST THE BEGINNING. Donuts, I’m looking at you lmao

TimisaMonster

Chromatica and action in the same sentence? No...:bear:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Kadikaado
10 hours ago, bionic said:

As much money as she gives to charity, all of these deals (incl. perfume, makeup etc) are capitalist ventures and nothing more than that. There's no art in it IMO

I disagree so hard with this talk of "real artists don't profit from their art" it's not like Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel for free, against the Status Quo.

I am authistic, so don't be offended if I make a mess sometimes.

Joshie S

Everyone can disagree and have their own opinion, but to answer your question? Yes. Everything she makes is ARTPOP.

The melody that you choose can rescue you ♥

bionic
4 hours ago, Kadikaado said:

I disagree so hard with this talk of "real artists don't profit from their art" it's not like Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel for free, against the Status Quo.

Painting the Sistine Chapel is a slightly different endeavour to promoting OREOs

buy bionic

Archived