💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

His Dark Materials

BlueRose

Featured Posts

I love the books. They are quite philosophical for a children's trilogy.

The series have done a good job with the daemons and the Magestirium.

But it has has some issues.

First of all the representation of Lyra. In the books Lyra is a good liar and sort of a rebel and a "wild cat". I believe they haven't established that in the series.

The acting. I don't like Mrs Culter and Lyra actresses approach. Ruth Wilson is not as seductive as Nicole Kidman was (The Golden Compass movie) but she is scarier.

Other than that I like the series and the trilogy is so epic and i believe since the beginning of S2 the series are getting better. 

Have you heard of it? Are you watching it?

His Dark Materials: Season 1 | Official Trailer | HBO - YouTube

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alsemanche

I LOVE THE BOOKS SO MUCH!! I haven't had the chance to watch the series in full yet, but I watched the first episode or two a while ago and it looked promising, much better than the movie lol. I wanna watch the whole thing once I have the time and energy and maybe reread the books too 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Esteban

My favorite fantasy books so far and maybe even my favorite of all genres. I'm not affraid to say that (and I'm a literature teacher :oops:).
I think the series is pretty decent, even if I disagree with some choices but I keep in mind that's an adaptation. And it works imo. Ruth Wilson is fabulous as Mrs Coulter ( season 2 episode 03 :bradley:),she is not only seductive (like Kidman) she is also a broken wild animal with complexe feelings. I like Dafnee Keen as Lyra too even if she should be more smart. My only real problem is the witches and the way they are depicted. I watched episode 4 and it stills problemtaic for me... But I hope it will evolve in next episodes 

Overall a very good series and amazing books :sara:

JusKeepBreathin

It's very obvious that Nicole can act circles around anyone trying to pick up a role she already played. But I'm not mad at this actress. I think she is doing a fine job with the role. If I had never seen Nicole I would consider her doing an amazing job. I hope in this season they expand on Lyra. She's a little two dimensional right now. 

But I loved the first season. I am so glad to see this series on screen on a channel that makes amazing series and cares about quality. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Bradley

I watched season 1 without having watched the books and whilst the visuals were fantastic, the story seemed really bland to me. I considered watching season 2 but then I don't wanna go through 8 episodes of amazing visuals but find out that the story is once again blandly presented.

I just wanna say that Pan in his ermine form is so cute!Lyra GIF by His Dark Materials also i miss the golden dust effects when they die, and I like the way the witches fly.

Just now, Bradley said:

I watched season 1 without having watched the books and whilst the visuals were fantastic, the story seemed really bland to me. I considered watching season 2 but then I don't wanna go through 8 episodes of amazing visuals but find out that the story is once again blandly presented.

they haven't established the purity and the importance of daemons. Also Lyra finds out the plan of Mrs Culter early in the series but in the books they figure it out towards the end and it's a shocking scene because by then the connection that the characters have with their deamon is established. In the series when Lyra finds out I think we dont get that dramatic reaction

MelbHawker

I’m living for the HBO series. It’s so well crafted, & I’m loving the casting choices. Admittedly I haven’t read the books, so I can’t make a judgement re: how well the series has been adapted but I’m really enjoying the show. 

youandi

I’ve love the series, remember enjoying the film too. I have the books, I’ve just not read them yet :(

Galactic Mess

It is not a children’s book, I’m outraged :madge:

But I LOVE this triology. :legend:

Haven’t watched the series yet, hope it’s good!

Sorcerer

I love the series. It gives me joy every week. And I feel like Season 2 is getting more solid and consistent than the first one.

Ruth Wilson is terrifying, and she also gives a lot of depth to her character as a mother. I think Dafnee Keen needs a bit more presence, but I guees she's doing fine.

Other actors could've performed Scoresby better than Lin Manuel Miranda, but I'm getting used to him.

The addition of Andrew Scott is fantastic.

Rudz Xinc

Season 1 might be confusing to those who don't read the book, because its fast pace. Also it's quite boring.

But I love the second season so far.

I wonder will the angels portrayed as the book described? I doubt that because of the rating.

Ruth Wilson is AMAZING. She's scary and cold. I love her.

Look at those clowns

32 minutes ago, Rudz Xinc said:

I doubt that because of the rating.

What has the rating got to do with the angels?

Pls don't spoil:bear: i haven't read the books

Rudz Xinc
10 minutes ago, NoahSuns said:

What has the rating got to do with the angels?

Pls don't spoil:bear: i haven't read the books

Nothing major, nothing regarding the plot, just the look. This is rated PG. I wished it's rated R.

Spoiler

The angels described as naked. :huntyga:

Look at those clowns

Archived