Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

The Guardian: ROM best song of the year

Slovakialop

Featured Posts

Slovakialop

1 - Lady Gaga – Rain on Me (with Ariana Grande)

Rain on Me is technically a breakup song: “At least I showed up, you showed me nothing at all,” Gaga sings in the opening verse, scorning a lover who has fallen short of expectations. But it’s not really about that at all – for anyone who has listened to it, it’s about how bad 2020 is. “I’d rather be dry / but at least I’m alive” runs the chorus – being thankful for not being dead was where we reset the bar this year, and it was thrilling to hear someone sing it so honestly. Instead of trying to shelter from the storm, Gaga and Grande ask for the worst thing to happen so they can be delivered from it; Grande also calls for the rain to wash away her sins. It’s that sense of transcendence that makes it such a potent song in 2020, by acknowledging the rain and dancing through it. BBT

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/30/the-20-best-songs-of-2020

Top 20:

20. Daniel Avery – Lone Swordsman
19. Chloe x Halle – Do It
18. Terrace Martin and Denzel Curry – Pig Feet (feat Kamasi Washington, G Perico & Daylyt)
17. Romy – Lifetime
16. Fiona Apple – Ladies
15. Dua Lipa – Hallucinate
14. Pa Salieu – My Family (feat BackRoad Gee)
13. Bob Dylan – Murder Most Foul
12. Miley Cyrus – Midnight Sky
11. Jayda G – Both of Us
10. Rina Sawayama – XS
9. Perfume Genius – On the Floor
8. Dua Lipa – Physical
7. Waxahatchee – Fire
6. The Weeknd – Blinding Lights
5. Sault – Wildfires
4. Megan Thee Stallion – Savage feat Beyoncé
3. Christine and the Queens – People, I’ve Been Sad
2. Cardi B – WAP feat Megan Thee Stallion
1. Lady Gaga – Rain on Me (with Ariana Grande)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
papergangstas

The only acceptable Nr. 1 song of 2020 (besides maybe Blinding Lights) 

i cant hear basketball wives GIF by VH1

One of me is wiser. One of me is stronger. One of me is a fighter, and there's a thousand faces of me, Army of me

Bradley

Rain on Me is technically a breakup song: “At least I showed up, you showed me nothing at all,” Gaga sings in the opening verse, scorning a lover who has fallen short of expectations. But it’s not really about that at all – for anyone who has listened to it, it’s about how bad 2020 is. “I’d rather be dry / but at least I’m alive” runs the chorus – being thankful for not being dead was where we reset the bar this year, and it was thrilling to hear someone sing it so honestly. Instead of trying to shelter from the storm, Gaga and Grande ask for the worst thing to happen so they can be delivered from it; Grande also calls for the rain to wash away her sins. It’s that sense of transcendence that makes it such a potent song in 2020, by acknowledging the rain and dancing through it. BBT

Rain On Me is not just great because it's well produced, written and performed. It's great because it represents exactly what 2020 needs.

Great to see Gaga at #1 :vegas:

But guys, your analysis of the song... “technically it's a breakup song but truthfully it's about 2020” :fail::ladyhaha:

Bradley
16 minutes ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

Great to see Gaga at #1 :vegas:

But guys, your analysis of the song... “technically it's a breakup song but truthfully it's about 2020” :fail::ladyhaha:

Good lord. I am a student of literature and let me tell you that one way to destroy art is to assume that everything has to come from the writer's mind.

No that's not how art works. Art is composed with a fixed set of elements with specific dynamics and relationships. The creator's intentions do not define what interpretations are true or not. It's the convincing and meaningful relations that the admirer gleans that count.

Regina George

I’m sorry I love Gaga with all my heart but ROM, WAP and Savage over Blinding Lights and Physical? This list is just not it. Sometimes you gotta be objective. 

And don’t try to drag me for being objective. I am happy to see Gaga on the list but ROM is not the best song of 2020 sonically or lyrically. 

Bradley
1 minute ago, Regina George said:

I’m sorry I love Gaga with all my heart but ROM, WAP and Savage over Blinding Lights and Physical? This list is just not it. Sometimes you gotta be objective. 

I don't see how the article is not objective.

Unless you're referring to commercial success then? Will people stop assuming sales and streams automatically accumulate into quality?

Archived