The Guardian: ROM best song of the year

Slovakialop

Featured Posts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley
1 minute ago, Regina George said:

And don’t try to drag me for being objective.

First of all, we need to consider whether this is true.

But you've jumped the gun by claiming that it is.

Regina George
1 minute ago, Bradley said:

I don't see how the article is not objective.

Unless you're referring to commercial success then? Will people stop assuming sales and streams automatically accumulate into quality?

I am talking about the quality. ROM is not the strongest song lyrically, sonically or even commercially (mentioning that because you did). I can tell you love Gaga and I do too but sometimes you gotta ask yourself if her song is objectively THAT good. 

Also you said you took quality in consideration - then what are WAP and Savage doing in top 10 and one of them even at second place?

Regina George
3 minutes ago, Bradley said:

First of all, we need to consider whether this is true.

But you've jumped the gun by claiming that it is.

I’m so sorry but you’re definitely not being objective now. 

Bradley

I am talking about the quality. ROM is not the strongest song lyrically, sonically or even commercially (mentioning that because you did). I can tell you love Gaga and I do too but sometimes you gotta ask yourself if her song is objectively THAT good. 

Also you said you took quality in consideration - then what are WAP and Savage doing in top 10 and one of them even at second place?

I never said WAP and Savage were bad songs. I just don't think ROM pales in comparison to them at all.

I think ROM could stand strong beside them. The author of the article clearly found meaning in the message of the song and related it to our mutual circumstances of being in the hardship of 2020. And even if Gaga didn't know there was going to be a pandemic in 2020, there is nothing wrong with the author (and us) finding beauty in that. If the author wants to define it as the song of 2020, then I don't see how it's "unobjective".

In that case, the author has defined 'song of 2020' not in terms of streams and sales which would definitely make Blinding Lights #1. The author has used other criteria, and you seem to say that only your criteria warrant consideration, and his/her's don't.

Bradley
3 minutes ago, Regina George said:

I’m so sorry but you’re definitely not being objective now. 

You keep using the word without defining what it means. "Quality" is a very vague word. You need to set out the criteria that constitute 'quality'.

Rj Barker
11 minutes ago, Regina George said:

I’m sorry I love Gaga with all my heart but ROM, WAP and Savage over Blinding Lights and Physical? This list is just not it. Sometimes you gotta be objective. 

And don’t try to drag me for being objective. I am happy to see Gaga on the list but ROM is not the best song of 2020 sonically or lyrically. 

I have to agree, ROM is great but it certainly isn't the strongest release this year, there are tracks with sleeker production and stronger lyrically.  BL & physical are superior.

Sorcerer

Can we just be happy that Gaga topped a critics' list this year, and from a major publication? :huntyga:

Y'all complaining about lack of promotion then when Gaga appears somewhere, y'all attempt to drag her down.

Here's to ROM :vegas:

Regina George
8 minutes ago, Bradley said:

I never said WAP and Savage were bad songs. I just don't think ROM pales in comparison to them at all.

I think ROM could stand strong beside them. The author of the article clearly found meaning in the message of the song and related it to our mutual circumstances of being in the hardship of 2020. And even if Gaga didn't know there was going to be a pandemic in 2020, there is nothing wrong with the author (and us) finding beauty in that. If the author wants to define it as the song of 2020, then I don't see how it's "unobjective".

In that case, the author has defined 'song of 2020' not in terms of streams and sales which would definitely make Blinding Lights #1. The author has used other criteria, and you seem to say that only your criteria warrant consideration, and his/her's don't.

7 minutes ago, Bradley said:

You keep using the word without defining what it means. "Quality" is a very vague word. You need to set out the criteria that constitute 'quality'.

Just because it has a good message doesn’t mean it is the best song of 2020. I said many times. Quality = sonically, lyrically good song. IMO production and lyrics are MUCH better in Blinding Lights. You mentioned the message of the song but the author thought it’s a love song (and it’s actually not - Gaga explained the meaning 100 times) so he totally missed the point and that “he got the message” argument doesn’t apply. I won’t argue why Gaga’s song is not the best song on the list on Gaga’s fan forum because in your opinion as her fan every single one of her songs is 10000 times better than every other song. And I don’t think it is what you as a fan should think. 

Regina George
2 minutes ago, Rj Barker said:

I have to agree, ROM is great but it certainly isn't the strongest release this year, there are tracks with sleeker production and stronger lyrically.  BL & physical are superior.

Thank you! Being a Gaga fan doesn’t mean we have to blindly think her music is superior to everyone else’s. 

Bradley

Just because it has a good message doesn’t mean it is the best song of 2020. I said many times. Quality = sonically, lyrically good song. IMO production and lyrics are MUCH better in Blinding Lights. You mentioned the message of the song but the author thought it’s a love song (and it’s actually not - Gaga explained the meaning 100 times) so he totally missed the point and that “he got the message” argument doesn’t apply. I won’t argue why Gaga’s song is not the best song on the list on Gaga’s fan forum because in your opinion as her fan every single one of her songs is 10000 times better than every other song. 

You are mistaken in interpreting that only what Gaga means is plausible. In the world of art, both the artist's and the admirer's meanings could count as long as the case can be put forth convincingly, and the author did explain why s/he loved it. So it's really irrelevant what Gaga's intentions were.

Again, even if Blinding Lights had better technical execution, which is still debatable because some might just say Rain On Me has better ones, you discounting 'good message =/= best song of 2020' is dangerously simplified. It once again suggests that only your perception is accurate and that the author's is totally not.

There is simply no such absolute objectivity in art.

DoremonLove

Finally someone with taste:saira:. Gosh im starting to get very irritated with the constant inserting dua in every thread.:fthis: its just one article qhile dua got so many noms. Can we just not be happy for this.:fthis:

How can anoyone not love gaga

Archived