Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The Main Problem with Chromatica

GovernmentGaga

Featured Posts

dollardays

Every time she spoke about how she was so depressed and chain smoking on the porch during the studio sessions I wondered how much she wanted to make this album 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MoonIight

Perfectly summed up :golfclap: It's obvious her priority is not music anymore and I think it's better that we accepted it sooner than later.

17 minutes ago, NAMURO said:

We all know the effort it took to make this album and the insane promo that was planned before the pandemic... And now we think Chromatica is like an obligated project because she is not promoting it?

Coulda woulda shoulda. Sh.t happens, adjust to the new conditions.  Where are all the "fun surprises" she was planning to share? And the "most bombastic celebration of all time"? Lol   either put your money where your mouth is or just don't make promises 

yes.

Gaga Lazuli

I feel like she just made this album for the simple reason that people wanted the “old” Gaga back and not because she truly wanted to make it. 

Little Monsters Torture Me

Many valid points yes but I have another valid point:

Gaga released it.

Gaga could release Folklore and still not receive the same success and acclaim as Taylor for example (nothing against Taylor I'm using her as an example only).

Even Shallow, for the amount of acclaim, that was still not 100% and came with complaints about her music, you would expect endless plays on the radio and billion plays on spotify, but it didn't happen, it was just moderate, Shallow was #1 once and it felt like everyone did a favor to her to make her happy and not because it was really "deserved".

No matter what she will release it will always get complaints and bad reviews.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Shipper

The main problem of Chromatica is that it is not on Earth. 

:vegas:

Rocket number 9 blast off to the planet 🚀 

58fb63fe-dd8b-400f-a5e7-e020dc2b411b.png

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

HausOfAntonio

So what we’re saying is had she promoted the album would be better? Because that is the only thing that indicates commitment or belief in your art? Its clear that some of y’all aren’t artists and still view the artist as a businessperson and their art as a commodity. Don’t even get me started on your lack of understanding of mental health. 

At the end of the day, you don’t know her. You don’t know what she think and feels and all you’re doing is speculating, and that shows a fundamental lack of concern with her humanity because you expect a cookie cutter album cycle in order to justify liking the music or seeing it as genuine. Gaga never said Chromatica cured her mental illness. The only thing she implied is that at a moment where she was AT HER LOWEST, it saved her. And thats fine. We need to stop demanding that she does things a certain way just so we can validate the way we feel about her career. 

She really meant it when she wrote Plastic Doll. She really ****ing did. 

I agree.

I love the album, but she said herself that she had no direction for the album and that Bloodpop was a huge part in setting course. In a lot of ways, it felt like she said to herself, "This will do."

(but the key is that it did "do" – to me, Chromatica feels like The Fame 2020, which isn't a bad thing, I love this album, but it certainly feels less inspired than any of her other albums)

Chromatica literally dropped in the middle of everything. There was a lot of uncertainty in the world back then and I don’t blame her for pulling the project back. 

I don’t think what Gaga is experiencing is a lack of commitment to her work so much as an inclination to stay away from the spotlight over long periods of time. The media is trash, the industry is trash and, quite frankly, a very vocal minority (or majority) of fans are trash.

Ironically, the woman whose first album is called The Fame, is nowadays avoiding it as much as possible. Fans hunger for promotion and media attention and critical acclaim because we live boring mundane lives. Gaga KNOWS what fame is. She doesn’t want it as much as her fans do. 

43 minutes ago, Galagala said:

She needs better songwriters and producers. 

Actually she doesn’t need better writers/producers.

I think the main problem was her lack of involvement in the production, she said it 100 times that she got dragged to the studio.

She just need to be more involved like she did before. Gaga is a great song writer plus you can tell out of her discography which tracks she was all involved. (Replay/Venus/BTW/BR) 

I think having more collaborations is good but she shouldn’t just let anyone (in this case BP) do a track just because they think it is amazing.

COME ON GAYS!!

Babylon98
23 minutes ago, River said:

Many valid points yes but I have another valid point:

Gaga released it.

Gaga could release Folklore and still not receive the same success and acclaim as Taylor for example (nothing against Taylor I'm using her as an example only).

Even Shallow, for the amount of acclaim, that was still not 100% and came with complaints about her music, you would expect endless plays on the radio and billion plays on spotify, but it didn't happen, it was just moderate, Shallow was #1 once and it felt like everyone did a favor to her to make her happy and not because it was really "deserved".

No matter what she will release it will always get complaints and bad reviews.

Girl Shallow has literally 1.3Billion plays on spotify and is currently almost top 30 most streamed songs ever on spotify. It also has a video which will reach 1billion views soon on yt and a live performance with 300M+ views that is currently doing more than some of the biggest hits on youtube (roar, dark horse, blank space, you name it). It might not have been a huge hit in American radio but that's it. It'll probably end up being her biggest song ever and it was absolutely HUGE worldwide. It's still doing 1M+ updates on spotify and 1M+ daily updates on youtube. 

I'm pretty sure if you combine spotify + youtube (all lyric videos + performances etc.) just Shallow has more than 3Billion streams altogether. That would be a pretty successful ALBUM let alone song.

Then you have ARTW with 500M+ streams on spotify and INLA with more than 300M+. ASIB was a critical AND commercial smash no matter how you spin it. And only 1 single was promoted.

12 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

So what we’re saying is had she promoted the album would be better? Because that is the only thing that indicates commitment or belief in your art? Its clear that some of y’all aren’t artists and still view the artist as a businessperson and their art as a commodity. Don’t even get me started on your lack of understanding of mental health. 

At the end of the day, you don’t know her. You don’t know what she think and feels and all you’re doing is speculating, and that shows a fundamental lack of concern with her humanity because you expect a cookie cutter album cycle in order to justify liking the music or seeing it as genuine. Gaga never said Chromatica cured her mental illness. The only thing she implied is that at a moment where she was AT HER LOWEST, it saved her. And thats fine. We need to stop demanding that she does things a certain way just so we can validate the way we feel about her career. 

She really meant it when she wrote Plastic Doll. She really ****ing did. 

Thanks, I still have faith in humanity :tony:

MaryJaneHolland
53 minutes ago, Gaga Lazuli said:

Maybe if she kept Free Woman sound like the demo, none of this would be happening. 

Maybe if she kept Babylon HL, the pandemic would've never happened :bear:

Reality

I both agree and disagree with your analysis of Chromatica's situation.

I agree that, objectively speaking, this is the worst album era. It honestly boggles me that there are genuinely some people on here who are like, "This era's the best era ever!". Like, no honey, it's not :selena: It's objectively not a good era. The album itself is spectacular, but the album =/= the era.

And while I agree that we can't 100% blame the pandemic on the lack of promo for the album, I also don't think we can excuse it either. It's funny and ~convenient~ that people forget the original plans for Chromatica. We were supposed to have a ton of performances and a ton of interviews, photoshoots, paparazzi fashion looks, etc. Blade said that it was going to have promo "only second to BTW." So obviously her heart was in the right place.

The part where I disagree with you is when you start questioning whether or not Chromatica truly was Gaga's "saving grace" in terms of her mental health. None of us know what Gaga's going through, so I think speculating about how "true that assertion is" is just wrong. 

We know Gaga's a very empathetic person. I think she looks at the state of the world and realizes that there are bigger things going on right now than her own problems. Now, that doesn't necessarily excuse the lack of promo. She's been radio silent except for promoting HL and branded products. We know that she's going to be in 2 movies, so perhaps she's preparing for that, but I personally just wish we got a statement from her or something regarding what she's doing right now. I think that would quell a lot of people's frustrations. 

I also disagree with your take on the "I Learned to Love Myself Again" interview. I thought that was genuinely one of her most authentic interviews. She didn't necessarily have a lot of confidence, but like...how could you when you're talking about suicide? I also don't particularly understand why people go, "Well, she always says that her previous albums 'saved' her, but is that really true???". Is she not allowed to look back retrospectively? At the time of releasing/making Joanne, she probably was really happy. She probably thought she was going to be able to fix her father, but looking back at what that album was, she realized that she couldn't do that for him. It's not contradictory to say something like that. She just finally realized that she can't fix someone else's problems.

🖤👹

flyaway

For my part, I'll choose to receive what she wants to give. If she wants to keep the music thing happening, ok. If not, ok. But the main priority is her well being.

We don't want a broken Gaga just the way this industry broke people like Britney and MJ. 

Archived