Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

"Female artists have to reinvent themselves"

Regina George

Featured Posts

Regina George

I found this clip from Taylor's documentary and it made me so sad because it's so true. We are so though on female artists and we expect them to always reinvent, be better, be interesting, do something they didn't do before and it's just too much. Take a look at this I feel like we all need to hear it again. 

Reality

She's 100% right. Not just about the male vs. female dynamic in the music industry, but also how female artists are also always compared to their previous selves.

It's either never enough or too much, boring or too weird, reductive or too difficult to understand, artistic or cringy, etc., etc., etc.  

🖤👹

Regina George
2 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

She's 100% right. Not just about the male vs. female dynamic in the music industry, but also how female artists are also always compared to their previous selves.

It's either never enough or too much, boring or too weird, reductive or too difficult to understand, artistic or cringy, etc., etc., etc.  

Exactly! It's so frustrating.. It can only be not enough or over the top.. there's just nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Blastertoyo said:

Unless you’re 

carpool karaoke adele GIF

I feel like ever Adele felt the need to reinvent considering her working on her weight and her overall new "liberated" vibe.. 

TimisaMonster

It's true...most male artists look and sound the same album after album...yet female artists are expected to show more skin, dance more, etc

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

vyniildisk
51 minutes ago, Regina George said:

I found this clip from Taylor's documentary and it made me so sad because it's so true. We are so though on female artists and we expect them to always reinvent, be better, be interesting, do something they didn't do before and it's just too much. Take a look at this I feel like we all need to hear it again. 

That sspeciapalrt on Miss Americana wa sso  eye opening, and she explained so well. I mean, we tend to be very hard on Madonna, but how many times she felt the pressure back in the day to reinvent herself? Then Gaga, Taylor and so many others. 

vyniildisk
26 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

It's true...most male artists look and sound the same album after album...yet female artists are expected to show more skin, dance more, etc

Exactly, be new to us, be young to us, be exciting for us, but ONLY HOW WE WANT IT. Poor Gaga. This so relatable tl her relationship with us tbh

Guys. Sorry for my grammar. Not only i am not native but my effin phone is configurated in spanish so it fights with me and mixes nad matches words. How embarrassing. I promise in spanish i have perfect grammar.

xoxo Craig
37 minutes ago, Regina George said:

Exactly! It's so frustrating.. It can only be not enough or over the top.. there's just nothing else. 

I feel like ever Adele felt the need to reinvent considering her working on her weight and her overall new "liberated" vibe.. 

Adele losing weight has nothing to do with reinvention to stay relevant. Before '25' Adele said that she wanted to lose weight so that she could be a better mother for her son. It was a conscious choice to start taking better care of her body and to lose weight so that she could be there and set an example for her son. It wasn't just for looks that may or may not benefit her career, it was for herself and for her family

End Racism Now

xoxo Craig

OT: I get what she is saying. The standard that females are held to compared to men are far lower. Just look at the Scammys. The fact that Justin Bieber managed to get 4 nominations for his album and song that was completely trashed by critics is absolutely ridiculous. Ed Sheeran doing nothing innovative and spitting out the same song five times yet no one bats an eyelid. Kygo and Zedd too... it happens far too often. 

But in terms of reinvention, Taylor hasn't reinvented herself. She's still viewed as America's sweetheart. Its kind of ironic that she's taking about reinvention when she's exactly the same. 

End Racism Now

Reality
1 minute ago, xoxo Craig said:

OT: I get what she is saying. The standard that females are held to compared to men are far lower. Just look at the Scammys. The fact that Justin Bieber managed to get 4 nominations for his album and song that was completely trashed by critics is absolutely ridiculous. Ed Sheeran doing nothing innovative and spitting out the same song five times yet no one bats an eyelid. Kygo and Zedd too... it happens far too often. 

But in terms of reinvention, Taylor hasn't reinvented herself. She's still viewed as America's sweetheart. Its kind of iconic that she's taking about reinvention when she's exactly the same. 

Maybe in her earlier years she wasn't as "reinventive," but she certainly is reinventive now. I mean, 1989, Reputation, Lover, and Folkore are all pretty different albums/eras. 

🖤👹

Regina George
13 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Adele losing weight has nothing to do with reinvention to stay relevant. Before '25' Adele said that she wanted to lose weight so that she could be a better mother for her son. It was a conscious choice to start taking better care of her body and to lose weight so that she could be there and set an example for her son. It wasn't just for looks that may or may not benefit her career, it was for herself and for her family

I have a feeling reinvention is coming for Adele too.. We will see when her new music is out.. 

xoxo Craig
2 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Maybe in her earlier years she wasn't as "reinventive," but she certainly is reinventive now. I mean, 1989, Reputation, Lover, and Folkore are all pretty different albums/eras. 

I guess what I mean is that there hasn't really been anything that separates them drastically. For example, Joanne is completely different in every way possible to Born This Way, which is completely different to Chromatica. 

Taylor went from country to pop, which is a reinvention. But Lover has a similar aesthetic to 1989. Folklore has a similar aesthetic to pre-Red days. Reputation was an attempt at a reinvention, but it was just Taylor with black lipstick on. Plus the music itself isn't  that much different. Except from Folklore, the songs have been your typical standard pop songs. Songs like Style can be found on Lover. 

End Racism Now

xoxo Craig
6 minutes ago, Regina George said:

I have a feeling reinvention is coming for Adele too.. We will see when her new music is out.. 

I mean, expect something different than what she's done before. Even during the 25 era, she said that the next album wouldn't follow the similar theme has her previous ones because she believes in trilogies. I still expect some gut wrenching ballads since thats her signature forte, but I think we'll hear something completely different from her. 

But I don’t think its reinvention for the sake of reinvention. This is probably something that she wants to do for herself. 

End Racism Now

Reality
5 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

I guess what I mean is that there hasn't really been anything that separates them drastically. For example, Joanne is completely different in every way possible to Born This Way, which is completely different to Chromatica. 

Taylor went from country to pop, which is a reinvention. But Lover has a similar aesthetic to 1989. Folklore has a similar aesthetic to pre-Red days. Reputation was an attempt at a reinvention, but it was just Taylor with black lipstick on. Plus the music itself isn't  that much different. Except from Folklore, the songs have been your typical standard pop songs. Songs like Style can be found on Lover. 

I agree that sometimes her music isn't thaaaat different, but I still think each era is pretty distinctive.

As a Gaga fan, we know the ins-and-outs of each era, which makes it very unique to us. However, for casual fans or for non-fans, I feel like all the pop eras can come across as similar. I mean, for the general public, TF/TFM/BTW all sort of blend together...Joanne is probably the only era they could probably distinguish. 

🖤👹

Archived