Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Biggest Grammy snubs: Madonna edition

androiduser

Featured Posts

androiduser

With the recent Grammy nominations controversy, I was thinking of some of the most surprising snubs in the past. I can't believe Madonna had barely any nominations until 1998. Up until Ray of Light in 1998, Madonna's only nominations were:

1986"Crazy for You" Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female

1987"Papa Don't Preach" Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female

1988 "Who's That Girl"Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television

1991 "Oh Father"Best Music Video, Short Form

1992 Blond Ambition World Tour Live Best Music Video, Long Form Won

1995The Girlie Show: Live Down Under Best Music Video, Long Form

1995 "I'll Remember"Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television

1996 Bedtime Stories Best Pop Album

Can you believe masterpieces like Like a Prayer and Vogue weren't even nominated?? Arguably, two of the most famous songs of her career and pop music in general.  And so many other songs - Live to Tell? Papa Don't Preach? Express Yourself?

After 1998, Madonna continued getting more nominations and a few wins, but she was often left out of the major categories.  Confessions on a Dance Floor won Best Electronic/Dance Album but that was the only nomination it got. I am not surprised about some albums and songs, but the lack of recognition for her major hits is astounding.

• Admin changed the title to Biggest Grammy snubs: Madonna edition
MoonIight

Imagine not nominating Like a Prayer, True Blue and Like a Virgin in the Album of the Year category. They've always been a joke one way or another. :billie:

berlinforme

I think Madonna's unapologetic behaviour offended many people in the academy at that time. So ridiculous she barely got any nominations. 

0 Grammy noms in the last 10 years :air: I feel like Madame X at least deserved a nom or two 

shoful

Finally someone posts this! I wanted to the other day but I was too tired to deal with a shitstorm of hate that I’d prob receive :wtfga:

Legit like how did LIKE A PRAYER and True Blue not get a Grammy. Legit CRIMINAL! Also Madame X ****ing deserved at the least a nomination 

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

they didn't know which genre is Like A Prayer, Gospel/contemporary Christian music? Pop? R&B? so they decided not to nominate it :bear:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Like A Prayer deserved it! Im not so hurt at the fact she hasnt gotten much in the last decade. IMO Confessions on the Dance Floor was her last good work (sorryyyy).

Thomas P

I don’t think she’s deserved any nominations (maybe one for Livin For Love) this past decade, but from 2005 and down, she should have been the top nominee almost every year she was eligible. 

Maybe her Selftitled went under the radar, fine, but Like A Virgin snub is bigger than if The Fame got nothing. True Blue snub is like if Teenage Dream got nothing. Like a Prayer snub is like if Lemonade got shut out completely (I honestly am shocked beyond belief this got nothing). Vogue’s snub is unbelievable, and on par with Blinding Lights tbh. 
Erotica, I can understand. As much as it’s in my top 3 Madonna albums, it wasn’t as successful as her others, and at the time it was EXTREMELY polarizing. 

All in all, Madonna is proof that awards in any form literally mean nothing at all.  

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

ThisGuyTony

Like A Prayer is literal art and should’ve won. It definitely was her polarizing and controversial image that made them not take her seriously as an artist...

16 minutes ago, beli8 said:

Confessions on the Dance Floor was her last good work (sorryyyy).

I know many great songs from last album's :classy:

Madonna and Mariah both got snubbed because the Academy hated bigger/popular Artists for a while and as they got older, they werent relevant enough for the Academy (since now they like to award every new talent). Honestly, they should re-do most of the Grammys. Too many snubs. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

LaLuna

Regarding Like a Prayer, you have to remember that it was EXTREMELY controversial at the time. I'm not excusing the Grammys but back in the day she got immense backlash for the song and video (even the Vatican commented on it at some point), so the snub was predictable.

Also it's possible that she was not taken seriously by the industry or was even perceived as a threat, being a very outspoken female who stood up for what she believed in. That kind of reminds me of someone...

:ally:

Yeah, they've always hated Madonna. What can you do. We know that she is beyond them.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Archived