Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

WMagazine: Lady Gaga (amongst others) deserved Album of the Year

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

The Grammys always makes nomination choices using some unholy alchemy of popularity, sales, potential ratings, and, occasionally, actual critical acclaim—and yet, regularly, their choices tend to have little relation to any of those criteria. We're used to it. The Grammys are going to do their thing. Notoriously so. This year's freshly released batch of nominations are no different, and there's lots to quibble and critique across the board. It's not a surprise nor particularly unusual for the Recording Academy.

What is astonishing, however, is just how incredibly and quite bizarrely wrong the Grammy nominations are for the ceremony's single biggest award: Album of the Year.

To somehow snub Fiona Apple, Bob Dylan, Lady Gaga, and The Weeknd in one fell swoop? We're not even sure a room full of chimpanzees picking up CDs at random and throwing them into a box labeled "nominations" could manage that. It's truly astonishing, even for the Grammys.

LG6_COVER_DIGITAL2%202.jpg

The Weeknd's "After Hours"

One of the best-selling albums of the year, critics found it a return to form for The Weeknd after the disappointing "Star Boy." Some predictors had this album as the most obvious choice for an AOTY nomination. Yet, not only was it snubbed here, but The Weeknd didn't receive a single nomination anywhere.

Lady Gaga's "Chromatica"

Coming off of her Oscars triumph with A Star is Born, you'd figure the Grammys would want to get back on the Gaga train. Yet, Gaga was relegated to just two nominations in Pop genre categories. Maybe the album snub would have made more sense if "Rain on Me" scored Song or Record nominations, but that didn't even happen.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/grammys-album-nominations-2021-are-a-tragedy/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley

The "WTF?" Albums

...then things started to get weird. Really weird. Half of the choices here are complete head-scratchers.

Coldplay's "Everyday Life"

Coldplay's "Everyday Life" might be the safest of the "...what?" nominations, if only because the band is well-established and known. The album, however, was released all the way back in November 2019 (making it eligible, though you would have thought voters forgot it). It received a non-embarrassing but not particularly notable average score of 73 from review aggregator Metacritic. Not a single one of the album's singles managed to hit the Billboard 100 either. It feels like the English band's least consequential album cycle so far, and yet here it is, apparently deserving of an AOTY nomination.

Jacob Collier's "Djesse Vol. 3"

Eight years ago, British guy Jacob Collier went viral on YouTube for his Stevie Wonder covers...and somehow, he's wound up here. He's had decent success on Billboard's jazz charts, but has never placed on any of their major charts. "Djesse Vol. 3" attracted some notable guest features by Ty Dolla $ign and Tori Kelly. Though, not a single major American music publication bothered to review it. Not a single one.

Jhené Aiko's "Chilombo"

Jhené Aiko has managed to make a name for herself with singles and features, but her albums have always gotten disappointing reviews. Her third, "Chilombo," was no exception. In fact, critics seemed exhausted, calling it overly long and "very chill, and nothing else." According to Metacritic's calculations, it's the worst-reviewed of any of the albums nominated here. This is a case where we feel bad for the artist, as she's currently getting roasted on Twitter at the moment for the surprise nomination that many feel was unwarranted.

Ryusei

Idk why every publication and fans expect a freaking AMA / MTV Award type lineup for the grammys... they always have left field nominees who also deserve the spotlight they usually can never get because of the more popular acts. 

Musery

20 minutes ago, Bradley said:

I have never heard of Chilombo but no one even reviewed it :rip:

Maybe expand your listening habits in that case cause it’s bigger than CHROMATICA in YTD activity.  

Not anyone’s fault this board consists of racist f-words.

Of all the albums to pick you go after the POC woman with a successful one. 

alsemanche

Idk about After Hours cause I never heard it but i personally don't think Chromatica deserved an AOTY nomination tbh. ROM deserved SOTY yes. Also I really expected Fiona to get an AOTY nomination and actually win it idk wtf happened there... She got 3 noms which is cool but she deserved more. And FKA Twigs deserved nominations but they completely ignored her existence. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

LUCARTPOP
20 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

Idk why every publication and fans expect a freaking AMA / MTV Award type lineup for the grammys... they always have left field nominees who also deserve the spotlight they usually can never get because of the more popular acts. 

I agree with this! 

4 minutes ago, Bengalis said:

Maybe expand your listening habits in that case cause it’s bigger than CHROMATICA in YTD activity.  

Not anyone’s fault this board consists of racist f-words.

Of all the albums to pick you go after the POC woman with a successful one. 

Just because the album is successful in America, doesn’t mean it’s going to be well known everywhere on the planet. Prior to the Grammy nominations I had never even heard of that person and I’m sure lots of people will agree.

1 minute ago, Adarsh said:

Just because the album is successful in America, doesn’t mean it’s going to be well known everywhere on the planet. Prior to the Grammy nominations I had never even heard of that person and I’m sure lots of people will agree.

The Recording Academy are a US-based organisation.

Massive Monster

After all the praise those 2 albums are getting, by the public and critics alike, it makes 0 sense that they don't have an AOTY nomination. 

Especially when we look at other albums being nominated for this award.  

I don't agree with everything on that article though.

Kind regards

Just now, Bengalis said:

The Grammys are a US-based organisation. 

You attacked @Bradley for not knowing about the album. My reply was in response to that. I didn’t even bring the Grammys up. 

Just now, Adarsh said:

You attacked @Bradley for not knowing about the album. My reply was in response to that. I didn’t even bring the Grammys up. 

I didn’t appreciate that user singling out a POC artist as GGD tends to do especially not to downplay their achievements. 

Also if you’re going to be complaining about the Grammy noms at least have the decency to look up the acts nominated and find out if and why they deserve to be there. 

GGD is a board with predominately American users who like an American artist so to not explore the genres the said market has to offer yet complain at the same time is very disrespectful. 

7 minutes ago, Bengalis said:

GGD is a board with predominately American users 

That couldn’t be further from the truth. Americans are actually a minority on this forum. And just because we listen to an American artist doesn’t mean that we’re automatically expected to “explore the genres the said market has to offer”. That’s simply not realistic. And I’d appreciate if you could debate without steering the conversation towards the topic of race. 

2 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

That couldn’t be further from the truth. Americans are actually a minority on this forum. And just because we listen to an American artist doesn’t mean that we’re expected to “explore the genres the said market has to offer”. That’s simply not realistic. And I’d appreciate if you could debate without steering the conversation towards the topic of race. 

Then you don’t get a say in who deserved to be nominated at the Grammys or not. 

Is that simple enough for you since you don’t seem to think it’s disrespectful to single out a POC artist when there’s a cis white male band with a panned flop album among the AOTY noms? 

Archived