💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

GRAMMYs respond to Justin Bieber, denies The Weeknd's claims of corruption

COOOK

Featured Posts

mercurial high

They say a lot of sh*t, but they don't mean anything.

"We try really hard to make sure people’s art is respected" and then give JB and his ringtone album four nominations and nothing for The Weeknd and AH.

Taylor Swift's 'Fearless (Taylor's Version)' is out April 9th!

vyniildisk
34 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

Yet Dula Peep is working hard to snatch some Grammys. Is she not a real one? :noparty:

But she got them in the first place. I am sure if she would never got nominated on the first place she wouldn't be whinning because she IS A REAL ONE and only real ones can relate. *insert cardi gif*

elijahfan

The Weeknd deserved to be nominated even if he hadn’t booked the SuperBowl, I’m not sure what they’re trying to say here.

elijahfan
3 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

But she got them in the first place. I am sure if she would never got nominated on the first place she wouldn't be whinning because she IS A REAL ONE and only real ones can relate. *insert cardi gif*

Seems like she was a bit salty when she got no VMA noms, just saying... And she was right to be.

Anderson123

I think it's pretty obvious they did that on purpose. The Weeknd was supposed to win big next year and they sabotaged that. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that so Taylor Swift and Beyoncé win big. Some of the picks for Album of the Year don't make any sense and feel like they were put that so they'd go for the popular vote. The Weeknd, Harry Styles, Fiona Apple, Rina Sawayama and Roddy Rich were some of the favorites and none of them is there.

I'll just never understand why Yummy and Changes are there, that's the joke of the whole ceremony.

Oriane
1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

“To be clear, voting in all categories ended well before The Weeknd’s performance at the Super Bowl was announced..."

I feel like that's a super selective choice of words. Of course voting happened before The Weeknd was announced for the Super Bowl...Wasn't he only announced like a couple of weeks ago?? Negotiations and all that had to take place for both the Grammys and the Super Bowl, so yeah, the Super Bowl probably did have an impact on Abel getting no nominations.

The NFL didn't just wake up one day and decided they would pick The Weeknd for the Super Bowl and announced it right away, of course there have been negotiations, do they think we're stupid :air:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

StrawberryBlond

About Justin: can Grammys correct a song/album's nomination category if they feel it was worthy but submitted wrong? Like, if Joanne was submitted under country, would they correct it? It's a question I've always wondered ever since I found out that it was actually the record labels that submit nominations for consideration and not the Grammys who decide in the first place.

And as for The Weeknd, how can the CEO say he's surprised by his lack of noms if he was overseeing how everything was going? And if he says that his output was excellent, then why wasn't it nominated? Was everyone else above excellent? It's odd because some choices there didn't score as highly with critics as The Weeknd's output did. To quote Judge Judy: don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

2 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

About Justin: can Grammys correct a song/album's nomination category if they feel it was worthy but submitted wrong? Like, if Joanne was submitted under country, would they correct it? It's a question I've always wondered ever since I found out that it was actually the record labels that submit nominations for consideration and not the Grammys who decide in the first place.

And as for The Weeknd, how can the CEO say he's surprised by his lack of noms if he was overseeing how everything was going? And if he says that his output was excellent, then why wasn't it nominated? Was everyone else above excellent? It's odd because some choices there didn't score as highly with critics as The Weeknd's output did. To quote Judge Judy: don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

These great articles that answer a lot of questions.

The Grammy Voting Process is Completely Ridiculous

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/4/7976729/grammy-voting-process

Hate Me Now: What It's Like To Be A Grammy Voter

https://www.complex.com/music/2014/01/how-does-grammy-voting-work

"Bottom line: the vast majority of the nominations are chosen by people who have little real expertise in a given field. I refrained from voting in heavy metal and classical because I know very little about those genres. But I could have if I wanted to, and that strikes me as a problem. "

TL;DR

Like the Oscars, labels submit work to categories they think they have a shot at winning. Quality work on smaller labels or independent artists may not even know how submit.

Too many people can be Grammy voters. Which wouldn't be a problem if those who really should be voters knew they could be or how to become voters. 

These voters are allowed to vote in categories not of their expertise. And so, familiar names automatically end up nommed (and winning!) over of lesser known, more deserving work. (ex: audiobook narrators stepping out their lane could be why DJ Jazzy Jeff has a Best Rap Grammy :air: ).

The top category Noms (televised) then get sent to a super secret nomination review committee that make "adjustments" to things that seem "off". This can stave off eff ups by the voters but also allow rigging to drive up ratings.

By consensus, the committee whittles the 20 noms for each category down to 8. Then they vote by private ballot. They watch the train wreck on Grammy night like everyone else. 

"When the winners are announced, we'll hear the usual chorus of criticism from knowledgeable listeners, which the Academy will ignore, and voting members like myself will greet with a collective #KanyeShrug."

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

Archived