Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Maybe future nostalgia took chromatica's place

RenegAde

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF
11 minutes ago, Regina George said:

If you want awards then yes. If you don’t do it then you don’t really get to cry about not being nominated. Simple as that. :huntyga:

Why shouldn't the sole quality of music be enough to warrant awards?  The awards are literally named 'Best song'/ 'Best performance', not 'Most well know song', 'Biggest commercial album' etc.

The fact that artists need to make their songs marketable for an award is very wrong and shows how arbitrary and unreliable those awards are.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George
16 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Why shouldn't the sole quality of music be enough to warrant awards?  The awards are literally named 'Best song'/ 'Best performance', not 'Most well know song', 'Biggest commercial album' etc.

The fact that artists need to make their songs marketable for an award is very wrong and shows how arbitrary and unreliable those awards are.

Only if you’re some indie artist. If not then they expect you to campaign for the awards. I agree it’s not fair but...

elijahfan

Quite frankly, was Chromatica even that big? I've been wearing a Chromatica logo necklace for the past few months, and 99% of the time people around me can't read it, have no idea what it is or who it relates to. I guess what I mean is: while it was my favorite album of the year hands down, it was easily avoidable for the regular listener. Of course Covid didn't help and we all know the era could have gone way further, but that's the way it is - other albums, Future Nostalgia included, felt much bigger and inescapable.

Who even cares about the Grammys at this point, tbh. The only reason I'd care about it is if it warranted a reaction or appearance from Gaga, and since I know it won't, I literally don't give a single ****.

elijahfan
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Quality is really subjective... I don't think any artist has the intention or feeling of releasing bad material, so they gotta be judged on something. For an award called Song of the Year or Album of the Year, I do expect the awarded material to have been virtually unavoidable, that's just my feeling.

Being popular still is a quality and a proof you're doing something right, so I don't think it should be completely disdained.

For me Chromatica as a whole is better than Future Nostalgia, eventhough I really like both albums.
But Dua is really active online (and has been all year around), and works a lot to make the album successful, so I'm happy for her. (But the blessed madonna remix album was really not my cup of tea)

Also I like Don't Start Now a lot more than Rain on Me.
I think that it's one of the best pop songs in the last few years, so the nominations are justified in my opinion.

trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if it's broken but you can still see the crack in that ************s reflection.

BornAsUnic0rn
21 hours ago, Stef said:

There’s a difference between shoving promo down throats and actually delivering quality content and a fully fleshed out album campaign. Dua’s campaign was impeccable, none of it ever screamed “overexposed”

It’s the textbook definition of a standard album era 

And it always seemed seamless and cohesive. It is a great example, just like The Weekend’s album campaign, of a great roll out of a full body of work in the streaming era. And they did it in a global pandemic. 

Gaga lost every momentum Chromatica could have had by having the era basically being 3 heavy promo aspects disconnected from each other with these huge breaks of silence.

Stupid Love - Silence - ROM+AlbumRollout - Silence - VMAs+911 - Silence really broke Chromatica’s neck.

It was successful, and in the end it’s fine.. but it definitely hurt it in the long run. Now let’s wait to see if she’s able and willing to breathe new life into Chromatica later on or if she moves on to the other projects. 

Regina George
7 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

Why this disrespect of a thread havent been locked but the other one by Regina got shut down? Can we close this too @FATCAT

Apparently talking about negativity on here is not allowed :bear: no surprise there 

FfFfFfFF
25 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Quality is really subjective...

You are right, quality is subjective but that doesn't justify Grammys awarding hits just because they were hits.

I don't think any artist has the intention or feeling of releasing bad material

They may necesarilly think their songs suck but we as observers and followers of pop culture can ofc have an opinion... A song isn't quality because that singer that released thought so. It might as well be bad.

Being popular still is a quality and a proof you're doing something right, so I don't think it should be completely disdained.

So many hits over the years were straight up trash and I'm sure you can agree with me. Commercial succes doesn't make a song valuable so that's a useless criteria for an award that is supposed to award ''artistic merit''. Radio and the commercial aspect don't make a song have artistic merit, the creativity and craft put into it do. There is no correlation between art and the commercial (though they ofc sometimes overlap and happen together).

FfFfFfFF
1 hour ago, Regina George said:

Only if you’re some indie artist. If not then they expect you to campaign for the awards. I agree it’s not fair but...

Ideally that shouldn't be the case as is indeed. There is not denying that this is the matter of facts and that commercial succes is criteria that they use. But that goes to show that a Grammy doesn't hold that much meaning and that they're, in the end, arbitrary and popularity-driven, at least to a degree. 

• FATCAT locked this topic
FATCAT

There are limited number of possible nominees, techniclly every album that was nominated "took" another albums spot.

We don't need this.

Purr more, hiss less.

Archived