šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Grammy CEO speaks on The Weeknd omission, explains their process

Bradley

Featured Posts

Pray4FameGa
2 hours ago, Bradley said:

ā€œI donā€™t think [the Weekndā€™s omission calls the nominations] process into question, honestly,ā€ he said. ā€œThe process is there so we can continue to monitor excellence. I was in the ā€˜core roomā€™ this year [which decides the main categories] and I observed, and the people in it are music professionals, at the top of their craft in songwriting and producing and there are a lot of artists. And they were critically listening to every song that came across their desks ā€” or virtual desks ā€” so I donā€™t think it shows a flaw in the process. Itā€™s a long, arduous process and people take pride in it. The people in that room care: there are no agendas in there, thereā€™s no ā€˜letā€™s snub this personā€™ or that person. Itā€™s about, ā€˜Letā€™s try and find excellence.ā€™ā€

Ā 

*next song please*

'Girl u got that yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy.'

'This is excellent from a technical standpoint.'

*nominates bieber*

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MadreMonster

Yeah, they care about the charts. If they donā€™t have popular albums, no one would watch. At this point, they just need to admit that they take popularity into account.

In that case, The Weeknd should be nominated.

They obviously choose popular albums with one or two less popular albums for AOTY to seem like they care ONLY about the music.

SevenWonder

The Grammy's are such a mess. They give Bey 9 nomsĀ for no reason. The Weeknd is one of the top 2 or 3 biggest pop stars in the USĀ and they snub him.

Smashing my head against a pillow like I'm aĀ 911...

StrawberryBlond

A big pile of word salad, as expected. Yes, some albums are difficult to categorise and don't always consist of one genre but the academy have previously been able to pick and choose which songs they are and nominate them accordingly separately from the album. As far as I can see, the majority of pop listeners regarded Blinding Lights as a pop song. I doubt the majority of the pop committee at the Grammys thought otherwise.

2 hours ago, KNJ said:

Shameika for Best Rock SongĀ x factor what GIF

That right there is proof that they can dissect an album and pick which songs best fit a genre and nominate the album as a whole differently. Shameika got nominated in the rock categories but the album it was on got nominated in Best Alternative. However, as pointed out, anyone who regards this as a rock song has been rocking the wrong way their whole life by the sounds of things. Reminds me back when Lorde won in the rock category for Royals at some award show back in the day and went up to accept her award and did the devil horns hand sign with a confused look on her face! How these categories are defined is in need of an overhaul at this point.

zakariah

what a load of nonsense, blinding lights was literally everywhere, a WORLDWIDE HIT, and it is VERY OBVIOUSLY POP.

just say you guys hate him and move onĀ :triggered:

gagaisitalian

In the Grammys defense, yes The Weeknd had huge success this year, but he has been "more of the same" for years now. They nominated him for his past two albums and tracks. He offered nothing new this year. Just more of the same good stuff.

CatelynnMarie

Their explanations are literally trash. Some of these nominations, while I'm excited for those who were nominated, were just not even warranted. After Hours was a phenomenal album and deserved some nomination. I just don't understand. It's some actual bs.Ā Ā Ā 

MelbHawker

Blinding Lights is the longest running Top 10 Hit in BB History. Itā€™s also an absolutely flawless Pop song, lyrically/sonically/melodically.Ā How can they overlook itĀ in SOTY/ROTY categories?Ā 

Bieber over Abel in Pop Vocal? I mean.. really?Ā :toofunny:Ā What a f*cking joke.Ā 

r4therupbeat
5 hours ago, COOOK said:

ezgif-6-f736ddffdce1.thumb.gif.a175efd2d

Ā  Hide contents

Ā 

Ā 

was literally going to post this ''The process is there so we can continue to monitor excellence.'' goes and nominates yummy and Beyonce's worst piece of work. for what?

LilyLark
3 hours ago, MelbHawker said:

Blinding Lights is the longest running Top 10 Hit in BB History. Itā€™s also an absolutely flawless Pop song, lyrically/sonically/melodically.Ā How can they overlook itĀ in SOTY/ROTY categories?Ā 

Bieber over Abel in Pop Vocal? I mean.. really?Ā :toofunny:Ā What a f*cking joke.Ā 

This. It's insane...critical acclaim & massive commercial success. This is probably the "worst" of all the Grammy snubs in history.

liquidsunshine
3 hours ago, gagaisitalian said:

In the Grammys defense, yes The Weeknd had huge success this year, but he has been "more of the same" for years now. They nominated him for his past two albums and tracks. He offered nothing new this year. Just more of the same good stuff.

..and and and Beyonce??????Ā  lmao i can't believe i'm typing this cuz i'm such a beyonce stan.

Serial Chiller
7 hours ago, MadreMonster said:

Yeah, they care about the charts. If they donā€™t have popular albums, no one would watch. At this point, they just need to admit that they take popularity into account.

In that case, The Weeknd should be nominated.

They obviously choose popular albums with one or two less popular albums for AOTY to seem like they care ONLY about the music.

Harry Styles and theĀ Weeknd are both wayy more popular than Bieber this year. They got hits.Ā 

Billie Eilish got 3 noms for a song that, by her standards, tanked, and was from last year.

Yeah nothing makes sense.Ā 

FFXIV WhiteMage
4 hours ago, gagaisitalian said:

I will agree if not BL exceeded everything he has made. I mean fine, AH may not be the AOTY but it should be nominated considering all factors like quality and commercial success.Ā 
Ā 

But BL? Itā€™s the song of the year. You can disregard itā€™s commercial success and it will still fit in the ROTy and SOTY.Ā 
Ā 

He doesnā€™t have to change genre to offer something new. BL itself is whole power revolution in the music genre (together with DSN).Ā 
Ā 

And the repeated nomination? Letā€™s not go thereĀ :bear:

Archived