💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Harry Styles' masculinity debate

COOOK

Featured Posts

vyniildisk

I feel like she is trying to please evryone. I like her at the begginah. Now she is giving me fake vibes, like "oh this is what they eant to hear from me" 

giphy.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
papergangster
3 minutes ago, Hebi said:

Why isn't she debating about Shawn's masculinity instead?

She was answering questions from Instagram and that question wasn’t asked. 

PunkTheFunk

AOC has the girls fuming in here...We love to see it. See you all on January 20, 2025 when we swear in the first female president of the United States of America.

giphy.gif

StarstruckIllusion
8 hours ago, bionic said:

She’s the most pretentious and dislikable Dem in Congress IMO.  I can’t wait for her district to be dissolved next come 2022

not you not liking AOC... her being president would be a godsend :fatcat:

Blastertoyo
8 hours ago, LadyGoo said:

But did she stream Watermelon Sugar

miley-cyrus3.png

Watermelon Sugar Bye 

please enlighten me to death

nswain1110
10 hours ago, bionic said:

She’s the most pretentious and dislikable Dem in Congress IMO.  I can’t wait for her district to be dissolved next come 2022

You thinking a strong, courageous, and intelligent woman who cares about people/families and fights for them and their interests = unlikeable and pretentious. How sad for you and even more, your judge of character. 

Follow me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/natethetrailhunter/

HausOfAntonio

The only concerning thing about the Harry situation is that people actually believe he is doing anything to push the boundaries of gender norms :billie: The privilege with which he speaks of dressing in feminine clothes as “fun” and “playing dress up” is the true slap in the face to people who do so with actual concern for their safety. And the saddest part is how he ends up with the label of ‘pioneer’ because his cultural platform allowed him to book a Vogue cover. 

7 hours ago, Dulo Peep said:

I feel like she is trying to please evryone. I like her at the begginah. Now she is giving me fake vibes, like "oh this is what they eant to hear from me" 

giphy.gif

How? If she was trying to people please being the fave whipping girl, even in her own party, would actually bother her. She'd be a line-towing non-factor desperately trying to stay in the elders good graces. The reason you know her name (and The Squad generally) is because they say and do what needs to be said and done. Maybe it feels fake because politicians are reliably not this outspoken and fearless about anything that actually matters. A people-pleasing politician wouldn't see a man in a dress and talk about how it's important for art to make you question and think and grow. 

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

BornAsUnic0rn
26 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

The only concerning thing about the Harry situation is that people actually believe he is doing anything to push the boundaries of gender norms :billie: The privilege with which he speaks of dressing in feminine clothes as “fun” and “playing dress up” is the true slap in the face to people who do so with actual concern for their safety. And the saddest part is how he ends up with the label of ‘pioneer’ because his cultural platform allowed him to book a Vogue cover. 

While these people do so with “concern for their safety”, they do it, just like him because of the “fun” and the joy it gives them, because they like “dressing up”. Also, I do drag, and I regularly wear things that aren’t from the men’s section as a man.. and I do it because it’s fun, and while there are people offended by it, these instances are rare and they don’t bother me, because I wear what I want.

I appreciate mainstream figures like Harry and Jaden Smith doing things like this, because they ultimately help break down these barriers in a huge way. And not a single second does it feel like a slap in the face for me. Because it ultimately normalizes things for everyone. 

HausOfAntonio
5 minutes ago, BornAsUnic0rn said:

While these people do so with “concern for their safety”, they do it, just like him because of the “fun” and the joy it gives them, because they like “dressing up”. Also, I do drag, and I regularly wear things that aren’t from the men’s section as a man.. and I do it because it’s fun, and while there are people offended by it, these instances are rare and they don’t bother me, because I wear what I want.

I appreciate mainstream figures like Harry and Jaden Smith doing things like this, because they ultimately help break down these barriers in a huge way. And not a single second does it feel like a slap in the face for me. Because it ultimately normalizes things for everyone. 

It does normalise it, but the problem to me lies in how he frames this act in a way that doesn’t show any sort of critical engagement with what it means to be queer, yet get praise and attention for that precisely. He is not being a revolutionary, he is not doing front line work for the acceptance of looser expressions of gender, and yet he is treated and spoken of like he is. In my eyes he “served a lewk” like any of our pop girlies do, but what that tells me is that we’re merely judging men to the same standards we judge women. If Harry wants to compete in the big league with other big female names in fashion, then let him get treated as such (because lets be honest, male celebrities rarely do anything interesting in fashion). If its fashion we’re talking, then let him being a man be completely irrelevant, his looks are going to be talked about exactly how we would talk about any woman’s. However, if its gender that we’re talking, I’m going to need a bit more work from big name publications to give credit where its due, and to make their conversations on gender diversity MUCH more complex than just “omg Harry Styles is wearing a dress!!! A true gender fluid queer icon for our generation!” Harry did nothing wrong, its great that he feels liberated enough to wear what he wants, but a part of me can’t help but see some sort of queer-baiting (if we can call it that) in his public persona. The problem is obviously much more to do with the publications that generate and contextualise cultural conversations around these very urgent and complex issues. 

Archived