Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Miley Cyrus and Dua Lipa accused of copying Dream Wife's music video

Teletubby

Featured Posts

It’s literally a reference to Rocky’s Horror Show in both videos lol, nothing here was “stolen”

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elijahfan

Sometimes, artists are so full of themselves... That concept is far from new, off the top of my head I can say this was done in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (itself a clear reference to Little Shop of Horrors, as shown above):

8s4xgx2913s21.jpg

Not to mention this Björk video from 4 years ago:

elijahfan
13 hours ago, BornAsUnic0rn said:

exactly, you can’t praise Gaga for her references when you call it copying with others. 

I guess the difference here is the reputation of the original work: if you're inspired by an iconic visual, it's like everyone's in on the joke and that's fine, everyone gets it immediately. On the other hand, when you reference a lesser-known artist, you take the risk of overshadowing the original work and passing it off as your own in the process.

That being said, I do believe Miley's video falls under the first category since that effect has been used many times before in visual media, as pointed out throughout this thread. Miley and her collaborators have more chances of knowing and wanting to reference the Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Little Book of Horrors than some obscure indie band no one's ever heard of.

Archived