🎄 December Fan Mail 🎄

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Apple lobbies to allow forced labor

MJHolland
5 hours ago, gag said:

Apple is awful when it comes to human rights and I'd die before I'd defend their ethics buuuut this is a really misleading thread. The original story from WaPo is extremely unsourced (two anonymous congressional staffers) and the details are really vague. The only known thing is that Apple wants to change the wording for this law but it is unknown what provisions they are trying to change and to what extent.

Still completely possible that they are fully lobbying to allow slave labour (and IMO, likely), but at this point when so little is known about this case, 'Apple lobbies to allow forced labour' is complete disinformation.

WaPo wouldn’t run the story if they weren’t totally certain. Especially with anon sources — trust me. 

This is so disturbing and heartbreaking. I hope this story trends. Big tech HAS to be held accountable. 

• Like 1

Pharamon
7 hours ago, lestyoufall said:

They’ve justified it dozens of times with this exact excuse: “if we don’t outsource the labor then the cost of an iPhone would double or triple” meaning slave labor & underpaying workers to build a phone whose parts only cost $450 just so they can charge us thousands for it & then charge us hundreds to fix because if we go to a repair shop that isn’t theirs then they’ll brick our phones cause the part being replaced isn’t programmed to the rest of the phone which only they can do for this exact reason; to create a monopoly on the repair business.

This is the worst justification i've ever read... absolutely disgusting

Fredhappens
3 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Weird how my iPhone 6 bent and I have refused to buy another one ever since. Do you keep yours in a shrine next to your bed or use it like normal people?

I use it every day like normal people :p not even in a case because I like the design. It obviously has a fair bit of scratches on the back but honestly after 5 years I expect some wear and tear. I am very careful though that I dont drop it (rip my cracked 4S). But as I said maybe I was lucky :p 

On another thought. How ethical are other tech companies? I would think they almost all have the same strategy with a few minor differences.

JusKeepBreathin
15 minutes ago, Fredhappens said:

I use it every day like normal people :p not even in a case because I like the design. It obviously has a fair bit of scratches on the back but honestly after 5 years I expect some wear and tear. I am very careful though that I dont drop it (rip my cracked 4S). But as I said maybe I was lucky :p 

On another thought. How ethical are other tech companies? I would think they almost all have the same strategy with a few minor differences.

Are they all lobbying to allow forced labor?That's what this article is about. Stop deflecting. No one is debating mobile phones are made in China. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

FATCAT
8 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Weird how my iPhone 6 bent and I have refused to buy another one ever since. Do you keep yours in a shrine next to your bed or use it like normal people?

I have a Galaxy Fold 💀

chilly waffle
  • LMAO 1

Fredhappens
5 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Are they all lobbying to allow forced labor?That's what this article is about. Stop deflecting. No one is debating mobile phones are made in China. 

I was not trying to deflect it. I am trying to compare it to other big tech companies and I do not know one that produces in north-america or in europe.

Awakened M
15 hours ago, lestyoufall said:

SAME :firega: but seriously I’m really getting disgusted by Apple’s behavior. First they create a monopoly on repairs charging thousands to fix something that only costs $20 to replace because they don’t do board repairs but replace the entire things. Then they leave a known faulty piece in their MacBooks that causes them to randomly die for the past 4 years. THEN they lobby against right to repair saying that we aren’t allowed to fix the iPhones or electronics we bought & own & if you do decide to replace the battery or camera or any part yourself they end up bricking your iPhone because each piece is programmed to the phone. And now this. It’s just endless but sadly people just don’t care & will keep buying Apple no matter how many times they f*ck people over.

I'm not getting any sleep tonight because I woke up to a beautiful life. I'm awake.
  • YAAAS 1

venusinmyhead

start repairing your phones and when it is completely dead invest in FairPhone ya‘ll

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay

FATCAT
5 hours ago, venusinmyhead said:

start repairing your phones and when it is completely dead invest in FairPhone ya‘ll

We  should also raise hell about it to Apple. Not saying Gaga should step in and comment, but people like her (celebrities, influencers, etc) can destroy apples brand easily if they banded together. Apple could easily pay more to make the phone & still have billions in profit. 

chilly waffle
  • Like 1

LaLuna

Honestly, f*** Apple. 

Never buying their products ever again. They're overrated anyway.

Gagaloo911

And some of y'all act like Apple is the second coming of Christ and bend over backwards to get all their new products and sct superior to others for having an iPhone. :awkney: