💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Do you dissociate the artist from their music?

Riley

Featured Posts

And when I say this, I mean when someone is problematic/does bad things/is exposed/cancelled/etc. do you still listen to their music? Or do you dissociate the person from their art

(The examples immediately coming to mind: R Kelly, Chris Brown, SixNine, Kanye West, Azealia Banks, etc -- yes, I recognize these examples span a large spectrum from just problematic to more serious allegations)

I remember after the R Kelly documentaries came out, there was a lot of debate about whether it was still appropriate to listen to songs like "Ignition" or "I Believe I Can Fly" anymore -- with a lot of people saying their memories were tainted as they're associate with R Kelly via those songs... or the contrary, they still listen only because those songs remind them of good things like graduations/weddings/birthdays and they don't really consider it an extension of him.

Spoiler

Inspired by @Kimmo thread: 

I can't tbh. Once that person has done something bad, I cannot continue to support them. If their old content starts playing on the radio, sure she can stay (just coz it's unskippable). But it's not something I'd go after for. It leaves a distaste imo. I wish it's avoidable, but that's not the case for me.

00026 † 10000

Prostitute Barbie

I do. It’s entirely up to personal preference though. When I’m watching/listening/reading something from someone who’s not such a great person, I’m not thinking about how much I like the person. It’s about the message they created and the vibes it gives me. I like to think of the art as its own creature. Kind of how you don’t judge people based off of who their parents are. That all being said, if I really deeply disagree with what they do (like something really bad not just some Twitter crap) am I going to continue financially supporting them by purchasing their stuff in future scenarios. Probably not 

DrKindnessKunt1999

I just stopped streaming music that was touched by Dr. Luke altogether. Now I listen to it on iTunes, even though singers who happen to be my faves and who’ve happened to work with Dr. Luke in the past, aren’t getting any streams from me. Also, I avoid Dr. buying bottled water that was created by Dr. Luke. 

JudasJustDance

I still listen to Kanye’s work cus I like his music not Kanye himself. Also I still listen to DWUW ft R Kelly cus it’s a good song 

Anderson123

Yes, I can listen to their music and enjoy it. Or in Kevin Spacey’s case, enjoy his really good films. 

GagaSine

No, because knowing more about an artist makes me enjoy and appreciate their work more. So if the artist is an unpleasant person it makes me see the unpleasantness in their work.

It is not impossible for me to enjoy their work but their true nature will always be at the back of my mind, distracting me from being fully immersed in their work.

Dr Fudge

Very much depends. The only one that comes to mind off the bat is Lana. I know people have beef with some things that she does, but I absolutely adore her music. She hasn’t hurt anyone in the sense of sexual assault or physical abuse, so I can look past problematic behavior and just recognize she’s human and does things that not everyone favors. 

Other artists though...not so much. Especially for horrible acts that are unforgivable. 

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

It depends on if I was a fan of the music that was created before the unacceptable behavior started. I will always retain fond memories of events and the music that isn't tainted. But then supporting any new stuff after the taint is a no. 

I have no memories of R Kelly before DWUW.  I was not ever a fan of his.  I saw a woman describe how RKelly locked her in a room in the house and would not let her out to use the bathroom. She had to pee in a bucket. I will never hear Do What You Want With my body without the image of this woman pounding on a door to be let out and eventually using a bucket as a bathroom. DWUW is tainted by bdsm piss.

Agunimon

Yes. I will not stop listening to the R Kelly version of Do What U Want, nor will I feel guilty by people attempting to make me feel guilty for doing so. Same goes for Dr. Luke produced tracks, etc.

StrawberryBlond

I really don't care as long as they haven't done anything seriously illegal or immoral. I make a point of not supporting such people, the most I'll do is listen to their music out of curiosity or music reviewing through YouTube, I don't stream anyone as it is. That maybe earns them a teeny little bit of money at most, so I don't feel guilty. The only time I even really let my personal opinion of them factor in on my opinion of their music is when they reference what they did in their lyrics or say things that could be viewed as insensitive in their lyrics based on past actions. For all that Chris Brown claims to want to move on from his past, he won't stop making songs about girls giving him grief and making questionable lyrics and even making raunchy remixes with the girl he beat up. It's not a good look when you're trying to say you've changed.

Archived