💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Are songs under 3 minutes the new industry standard?

PsychoMaxcara

Featured Posts

PsychoMaxcara

So listening to the new Ariana album (coming out November 30 :triggered:), I immediately got major Justin Bieber Changes vibes. Not only does positions sound like a sister album to Changes due to the similar living room background noise soundscape, but the majority of the songs rarely exceed 3 minutes. In fact, out of the fourteen songs on positions, only FIVE of them ever make it past the 3 minute limit, with the longest one lasting 3 minutes 59 seconds (off the table feat. The Weeknd) and the shortest 2 minutes 12 seconds (west side). For comparison, Changes has sixteen songs. Seven songs make it past 3 minutes, the rest consistently stays just under 3 minutes.

I'm not sure how the rest of y'all feel, but that's personally too SHORT for me, especially after having been raised on albums full of songs that are twice as long. It literally feels like the song ends just as I'm starting to get familiar with it (which I assume is the desired effect?). I'm guessing this is supposed to make the listener crave the song more which leads to more replays which leads to more streams which leads to more sales? :enigma:

Curiously enough, when I compared the length of songs on Chromatica (2020) with other Gaga albums, the songs on Chromatica were noticeably shorter. 

For example, five out of the 8 songs on The Fame Monster (2009) exceed 4 minutes, the remaining three don't but they're close (3:41, 3:55, 3:41).

All of the songs on Born This Way (2011) are about 4 minutes in length with three songs even exceeding 5 minutes.

How do you feel about artists clipping their songs to fit the streaming age in music? How do you think this affects/impacts the artistry?

And most importantly, is this just a fad or the new standard?

EDIT: I found this The Verge article published last year that explains why this is happening. Y'all probably already know this, but it was brand new information for me.

verge-article-01.jpg

verge-article-02.jpg

verge-article-03.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TimisaMonster

Living in the streaming world, yes...songs need to be shorter to get more replay value and therfore more streams...higher charting...etc

Plus, people have less and less attention spans so ADD is real...

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

i was just thinking about this the other day and i think it could be tbh, i mean i'm not mad about it but i love when artists do long songs (with great content on it) but yeah it is a better way to catch people

... and now i just sit in silence.

pussycat

I think songs under 3 min can be real bops but never more than that. I personally enjoy songs that don't just scratch the surface. I like instruments, intelligent lyrics, a good bridge. That's just not possible in 2min12s kind of songs.

Pennywise

I don't like short songs much tbh. Like, I often listen to songs longer than 5 mins, and most "great" songs ARE long. 3 minutes is not enough.

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

LaLuna

Unfortunately we now live in a world where people have zero attention span, so yeah, probably. 

Agunimon
10 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

I don't like short songs much tbh. Like, I often listen to songs longer than 5 mins, and most "great" songs ARE long. 3 minutes is not enough.

Like The Poet and the Pendulum!

Pennywise
5 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

Like The Poet and the Pendulum!

YES! I also recently got into listening this group, and this song is like 17 minutes and every part of it is great tbh:

Also; Björk

:firega:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Yeah. I have been noticing this too and I hear a lot of younger people say they prefer short songs and get bored if a song is long or too repetitive. I am opposite, I love the epic theatrical long and progressive masterpiece. I mean, I love Sour Candy but have always wished from first hearing that it would have been at least two minutes longer.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Runway

Yes long songs in pop music are kind of pretentious anyway, which happened to be one of the most common BTW critiques 

Better Day

It depends on the song. I don’t think any songs on Chromatica could be developed any longer (yes, Sour Candy would be too tedious for me). 
I would say I don’t mind songs being 2/3 minutes. As long as they are not 6/7 slow burner songs (Frozen by Madonna) 

Together You And I!

Archived