Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Madonna stans: what's her best work?

holy scheisse

Featured Posts

holy scheisse

SO I never really got into madonna. I liked Like A Prayer, Material Girl, Like A Virgin, and Beautiful Stranger throughout childhood as a kid, but never listened to her music tbh!

2 years ago I streamed Ray of Light and was... Bewildered and enthralled at the glory. Sky Fits Heaven, Frozen, Nothing Really Matters, Power of Goodbye, Ray of Light... Just magnificent tbqmfh.

Well the past month, for whatever reason, I started to listen to more of her work. Since I loved Ray of Light, I decided to start there and see how she evolved from there. I've listened to Music, Confessions on a Dance Floor, and as of today American Life... And I have to say-- WHY was I in the dark for so long!?! I think I just disliked her bc of the Gaga feud tbh. But like yeah--shes incredible. Sorry, Let It Will Be, X-Static Process, Jump, I Deserve it... so many more. Just amazing lol. 

I love all 4 of these albums SO MUCH. But I do wonder, amongst her diehard fans, are these considered her best albums? Is this the best she gets? Are other ones considered the best? I wanna know whether I should go back or forward from Confessions at this point.

Anyway-- educate me, please!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True Blue, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Ray Of Light, Music, American Life & Confessions are usually the most praised

Ray of Light and Confessions on a Dance Floor are considered her best by the majority of fans. Fans of the older stuff would add Like a Prayer and True Blue. 

My personal faves are American Life, Ray of Light, Confessions and Erotica. I haven't really followed her newer work that much, but most fans say that Madame X is a return to her true self.

All of her albums are great in some way, and unique - each one is a different genre, theme... (though Hard Candy and from there are kinda, uhh, let's say different - but they have some amazing hidden gems)

I like dancin', and ponies....

Erotica is her best album, hands down. Run, do not walk, to listen to this godly masterpiece. Then do yourself and extra favor and watch  The Girlie Show Tour. Ugh. Sorry I love this album so much :giveup:

Once you're done with Erotica you MUST listen to Madame X. Do not listen to anyone who says is a piece of trash, it's immaculate. It's Madonna at her best since Confessions. Stunning, personal, lyrics, flawless production, and a message of strength and triumph that is so needed in today's world. 

PsychoMaxcara

Oh, this is really tough... I'm a late bloomer too when it comes to Madonna. My favorites are curiously enough the same as yours, i.e. for me Ray of Light is the best record she's put out, and then Music, American Life & Confessions are all great in their own way and I can't choose one over the other. 

I still have to listen to some of her earlier albums myself, so I can't include those as I haven't fully formed my own opinion yet, although I do love and remember the majority of True Blue. Btw, have you listened to her songs outside of albums? Beautiful Stranger, American Pie etc. they're all outstanding!

As for the recent records, that's where she's lost me tbh. MDNA is more of a guilty pleasure of mine.... I will bop to Girl Gone Wild and the other EDM bops, but they lack substance in comparison to her past work. I do love the last few songs co-written by William Orbit though, most notably Falling Free which I thought was absolutely beautiful.

Rebel Heart is probably the best album out of the new ones. Madame X I haven't listened from start to finish, but I could not get over the autotune overuse and the sound.

Agunimon

I don't meet the qualifications for this thread, but a few months ago I gave her discography a listen after not listening to anything but the hits from her. Of her discography, I found True Blue to be the most consistent album because it's the only album I enjoyed every single song off of and didn't feel the desire to skip.

I asked for an order to listen to the albums, and a lot of people hyped up Confessions on a Dance Floor and Ray of Light. While I enjoyed half of the tracks on both of those albums, I found myself not into the other half. Erotica was another one that was talked about a lot, and that was... not it for me. 

People also warned me about Madam X and Rebel Heart, which are the next two albums I enjoyed the most, although Devil Pray was a song I was aware of before I listened and is my favorite Madonna song. 

So all and all: I am not a Madonna fan, but loved True Blue and greatly enjoyed Madam X and Rebel Heart.

holy scheisse
5 minutes ago, BioStasis said:

Erotica is her best album, hands down. Run, do not walk, to listen to this godly masterpiece. Then do yourself and extra favor and watch  The Girlie Show Tour. Ugh. Sorry I love this album so much :giveup:

Once you're done with Erotica you MUST listen to Madame X. Do not listen to anyone who says is a piece of trash, it's immaculate. It's Madonna at her best since Confessions. Stunning, personal, lyrics, flawless production, and a message of strength and triumph that is so needed in today's world. 

I'm gonna take your rec and listen to erotica and then madame x next. I'm so excited! So, madame x I've heard God Control (which is like a mind**** and made me cry today?) And the maluma collabs just bc of the toe incident, but I'm intrigued to hear the rest

holy scheisse
4 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

So all and all: I am not a Madonna fan, but loved True Blue and greatly enjoyed Madam X and Rebel Heart.

I'm interested to hear rebel heart. I've only heard it trashed, along with mdna (which I'm very nervous about bc of the nicki minaj song that sucks lol) but also I love that we share the same favs :wub:

Long time Madonna listener! Like A Prayer was always the one song that I remember listening to throughout my life, but I like a bit of everything. Music was huge when I was six or seven, that was ALL over MTV, TRL, and VH1. Really LOVE Frozen! That's a cool new age influenced electronica track.

GAMS, gay popstar

Bonkers

Honestly, being at a gay bar when "Like A Prayer" comes on.  You'll never find a more connected feeling and love for the gays than when that happens.   Divas, Saskatoon, 2004, Halloween.  I'll never forget that one particular time.  :heart:

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

27monster27

Erotica is my favorite album of hers.

My top five:

5. American Life

4. Music

3. Ray of Light

2. Confessions on a Dancefloor

1. Erotica

he/him/his

holy scheisse
9 minutes ago, weed said:

the immaculate collection :flower: