💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Are underwhelming first singles the new trend?

PsychoMaxcara

Featured Posts

PsychoMaxcara

So, not that any of you care, but I've stayed sort of silent on what I think about Ariana's first single from her upcoming album. I honestly didn't know how I felt about it after my initial listen, but I definitely felt a certain degree of disappointment. Granted, my expectations were 110% too high and the whole thing was so hyped up that I feel like anything she'd come up with would fall short. At first I thought it was just me who thought that it was sort of "meh," but then I checked Gagadaily and other news sources and it seems like more people shared my sentiment. The song is by no means bad -- in fact, it's grown on me quite a bit and I think it will be a cute lil bop moment once she drops the full album.... It just seems to me like it's very much in line with her past work and I legit thought she'd give us a moment.

BUT ANYWAY

Positions made me think about how "Stupid Love" was not necessarily the most revolutionary first single either, or how "Daisies" (Katy Perry) also didn't live up to the expectations of THE first single from a hugely anticipated new record. Also, neither Stupid Love or Daisies are reflective of the rest of their respective albums. Chromatica ended up having many very unique and experimental songs, and Smile gave us Cry About It Later, Teary Eyes, or Tucked which are, imo, among some of Katy's best songs.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but shouldn't first singles be some of the strongest, if not the strongest songs an album has to offer? Where are the times when Pop girls released "Bad Romance," "Tik Tok," or "Only Girl (In the World)" FIRST? Seriously when was the last time?

Nowadays, it seems to me like artists put out the more bland and generic songs first, so when you do eventually get the record and listen to the ACTUAL bops -- you are more likely to be satisfied with the album than you'd have been had the artist released the aforementioned bops beforehand. Whether you call this "subverting one's expectations" or something else, I believe it is a legitimate strategy at this point. I mean, an artist like Ariana surely must've known that Positions is no Problem or No Tears Left to Cry, even Dangerous Woman was more of a slay because of the adult raunchy theme.

If Gaga were to release The Fame and The Fame Monster today, which songs do you think she'd pick as the leads?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bambino

Excuse you but SL is never underwhelming. I think it's a matter of individual taste. There is no law about this. That being said, it's easy to detect an uninspired and repetitive works, such as Ariana's and Lana's recent singles, but you may still like them anyway.

I guess they try to put the safest song out as the lead single and safe is boring.

Also I have this theory that nowadays, singles are designed to be catchy but not too much, enough to make you want to listen to it again but not enough to get bored too fast, simply to have more streams as they matter so much on charts now.

No.

Everyone keeps forgetting the way we were all living when it leaked. Sad that she waited an entire month though, the topics and conversations would be very different around here had it been released with 0 leaks... :koons:

It's really all a matter of personal taste. Im the rare Monster that think Stupid Love is one of the best songs, and videos, LG has ever released. 

PsychoMaxcara
15 minutes ago, Bambino said:

Excuse you but SL is never underwhelming. I think it's a matter of individual taste. There is no law about this. That being said, it's easy to detect an uninspired and repetitive works, such as Ariana's and Lana's recent singles, but you may still like them anyway.

9 minutes ago, COOOK said:

No.

Everyone keeps forgetting the way we were all living when it leaked. Sad that she waited an entire month though, the topics and conversations would be very different around here had it been released with 0 leaks... :koons:

8 minutes ago, Mesmer92 said:

It's really all a matter of personal taste. Im the rare Monster that think Stupid Love is one of the best songs, and videos, LG has ever released. 

Haha, ok! :kiss:

That actually makes me happy that there are Monsters who genuinely love Stupid Love. Personally, I still can't get over how much it sounds like BloodPop's remake of Born This Way, but it's good to know the song has its fans as well. 

I still wish Rain on Me could've been the lead though.

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I guess they try to put the safest song out as the lead single and safe is boring.

It seems to be that way, doesn't it? I can see that especially in Katy's case. Honestly, after Never Really Over underperformed (in spite of being the best song she's put out since Wide Awake), I think she was definitely playing it safe.

2 minutes ago, PsychoMaxcara said:

Haha, ok! :kiss:

That actually makes me happy that there are Monsters who genuinely love Stupid Love. Personally, I still  can't get over how much it sounds like BloodPop's remake of Born This Way, but it good to know the song has its fans as well. 

I still wish Rain on Me could've been the lead though.

It seems to be that way, doesn't it? I can see that especially in Katy's case. Honestly, after Never Really Over underperformed (in spite of being the best song she's put out since Wide Awake), I think she was definitely playing it safe.

Personally I don't think Rain on Me would have had the impact it did had it been released pre-COVID. In February most of the world was oblivious to what was on the horizon but by the end of May, our lives had been turned upside down. I think it was genius they held it for released until then, the message truly resonated with people. 

bluemonkey

I agree with you, lead singles used to be an event and it’s the first teaser to how the album will be because record companies used to rely on album sales but it seems they are more focused on streams and single sales so they can throw any single out and see if it works, if not then they just throw another single out there as it’s not as expensive and time consuming to launch singles. plus they probably make money from other ways so they aren’t counting on album sales solely. 

I don’t like it honestly it feels as though they are uninspired but keep churning out songs just to keep up with hype until it dies out and a new songbird is replaced to rinse and repeat. Albums to me are now becoming more of a promotional tool for other things that really make money hence why labels don’t really care and it’s no they don’t care about the music because they are already jumping on endorsement deals, sponsorships, tours, merchandising that will actually bring in the big bucks.

bluemonkey
1 minute ago, Mesmer92 said:

Personally I don't think Rain on Me would have had the impact it did had it been released pre-COVID. In February most of the world was oblivious to what was on the horizon but by the end of May, our lives had been turned upside down. I think it was genius they held it for released until then, the message truly resonated with people. 

I disagree, Rain On Me was an instant hit with people, even with me who tried to resist it but it’s a far superior song than Stupid Love and got great reception even my sister that don’t like Ariana, learned to tolerate her because the song is that good. 

Stupid Love songs like a B track or a demo that didn’t make the cut. It’s not a bad song but it’s also forgettable. 

GreenDiamond

its no about being underwhelming more like choosing the safest bet and most digestive song

which is a bad but unfortunately logical commercial trend

Archived