Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Is music no longer a priority for singers?

Bottom

Featured Posts

Better Day

I find the opposite. Artists are taking more creative control when it comes to music. 

Together You And I!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

I actually think the mainstream music has been in sharp decline for 8 years. For me, the last great pop music era was the Gaga/Kesha/Rihanna/Katy imperial pop moment that lasted from 2008-2012. Everything after that period has become more disposable and marketing of popstars has been a lot less creative as well.

Couldn't agree more. Watchin award shows (which i stopped doing) now is underwhelming, very very underwhelming frm what I remember award shows used to be like. If the only performers are Shawn Mendes, Lizzo, Rosalia, Selena, etc I mean im not saying these people are not talented except for Selena it's debateable but it's boring to me. 

I'm not seeing any artist with an edge, a distinct personality, good songs with great melodies, interesting shows with breathtaking performance in terms of choreography or originality, or an artist with just an interesting personnality. Gaga was definitely that in the 10s, because she had the talent, the songs, the performance, the exciting originality of her outfits etc but now everyone is basic. They dress like you think they are going to dress, they sing for the most part a basic melody or a monotnous non melodic song with a recycled beat thats been heard for ages and ages and a performance that's pretty simple and not interesting to watch as a viewer or in the audience. 

whoresup
12 minutes ago, Economy said:

For A-List artists there still is.

9 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

People are acting like these A-Listers are struggling to get by because of streaming:billie:

The sad fact is the only artists getting huge multi-million dollar record contracts are the ones who already have amassed a huge wealth. I can’t imagine how new or upcoming artists are treated. 

PsychoMaxcara
9 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

I actually think the mainstream music has been in sharp decline for 8 years. For me, the last great pop music era was the Gaga/Kesha/Rihanna/Katy imperial pop moment that lasted from 2008-2012. Everything after that period has become more disposable and marketing of popstars has been a lot less creative as well.

I'm officially SHOOK because that's exactly word-for-word how I feel as well. I just have a really hard time objectively evaluating music after 2012 if that makes sense, like, 2008-2012 were my formative years so of course I'm going to gravitate toward that era in music... but at the same time, it was a massive and unparalleled revival of Pop/dance music after many years of the boring Hip hop urban sound and some of my all time favs (including Gaga) debuted during that time. I swear the worst thing to ever happen was the (imo) awful indie trend in music with singers that sound like they breathe helium and use the welcome to my kitchen we have bananies and avocadies accent. That's when mainstream music hit a new low. RIght now, I'm getting huge 2004-2007 flashbacks with Hip hop, once again, being the dominant genre. 

Chromatican
1 minute ago, KanyeWest said:

Couldn't agree more. Watchin award shows (which i stopped doing) now is underwhelming, very very underwhelming frm what I remember award shows used to be like. If the only performers are Shawn Mendes, Lizzo, Rosalia, Selena, etc I mean im not saying these people are not talented except for Selena it's debateable but it's boring to me. 

I'm not seeing any artist with an edge, a distinct personality, good songs with great melodies, interesting shows with breathtaking performance in terms of choreography or originality, or an artist with just an interesting personnality. Gaga was definitely that in the 10s, because she had the talent, the songs, the performance, the exciting originality of her outfits etc but now everyone is basic. They dress like you think they are going to dress, they sing for the most part a basic melody or a monotnous non melodic song with a recycled beat thats been heard for ages and ages and a performance that's pretty simple and not interesting to watch as a viewer or in the audience. 

1 minute ago, PsychoMaxcara said:

I'm officially SHOOK because that's exactly word-for-word how I feel as well. I just have a really hard time separating myself from the music if that makes sense, like, 2008-2012 were my formative years so of course I'm going to gravitate toward that era in music... but at the same time, it was a massive and unparalleled revival of Pop/dance music after many years of the boring Hip hop urban sound and some of my all time favs (including Gaga) debuted during that time. I swear the worst thing to ever happen was the (imo) awful indie trend in music with singers that sound like they breathe helium and use the welcome to my kitchen we have bananies and avocadies accent. That's when mainstream music hit a new low. RIght now, I'm getting huge 2004-2007 flashbacks with Hip hop, once again, being the dominant genre. 

Completely agree with these posts. My theory is that the singles era of 2008-2012 was very memorable because record labels still knew that audiences needed a few very strong singles to even get them to consider buying an album and as a result the singers of the time really raised the bar for pop perfection. Nowadays singers don't have to do much, and streaming has made music so terrible to me. Today it is all about churning out disposable songs.

whoresup

I love Spotify so much but if going back to pre-streaming meant that music felt important exciting and special again I would give it up in a heartbeat :heart:

I think part of it is look who you listed. Those are people who have slogged a lot already and aren’t on the top of the charts anymore. They’ve shifted into being brands more than being chart competitors. They’re in a place now, as well, where they can make music at their leisure and comfort. Earlier artists have to pump stuff out a bit more frequently. Beyoncé can drop Lemonade and wait several years for another release because she doesn’t need to throw something together for the sake of it anymore. She can take her time. Whether that’s good or bad is something else entirely

whoresup
3 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

Nowadays singers don't have to do much, and streaming has made music so terrible to me. Today it is all about churning out disposable songs.

100%. It was so much about creating an era with each album and completely immersing fans in the experience with visuals, songs, performances, interviews. Now things get announced and then chucked onto streaming services with a couple of cute physical editions. 

I know I’m generalising here and it’s not all artists but there’s no denying it’s changed. 

Lord Temptation

Face the facts: The music industry makes more money selling ads than music :bye:

Chromatican
6 minutes ago, whoresup said:

100%. It was so much about creating an era with each album and completely immersing fans in the experience with visuals, songs, performances, interviews. Now things get announced and then chucked onto streaming services with a couple of cute physical editions. 

I know I’m generalising here and it’s not all artists but there’s no denying it’s changed. 

Totally, I remember the days when we had The Fame, The Fame Monster, Teenage Dream, Born This Way, One of The Boys, Animal, Cannibal, Loud, Femme Fatale, Talk That Talk, Rated R, I Am Sasha Fierce and even Born To Die all within four years. Nowadays we don't have eras as often, and they aren't as big or well thought out.

imitalian

I pray everyday that Haus Labs, Fenty and IvyPark go bankrupt so these hoex can focus on music full time.

im just playing:lolga:

but im saying:excuseu:

pachinko
49 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

You cannot stay relevant by just releasing music anymore. I agree, but with a pop culture climate like we have now where attention spans are limited and our interests are split a hundred different ways, it is kind of required for singers to branch out.

JLO is the queen of staying relevant. Look at everything outside of music she has done. 

Teletubby
46 minutes ago, River said:

soon we will be happy for sales of 5k first week :laughga:

Total album sales for Savage Mode II (by 21 Savage & Metro Boomin) was only 22,000 (it was when bundles where still counted and albums didn't need to be shipped in the same week) but they got #1 on Billboard on Oct. 17-dated chart thanks to streams (200.1 million on-demand streams). 

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

Your problems are you think that if they didn't have these side projects they would instantly just be working on music and promoting. Instead it would just be radio silence and an occasional selfie. Haus labs doesnt stop gaga from working on music its a revenue stream and a way to put your face out there in between releases. 

Archived