celeb

Celebrities start to defend Chris Pratt

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, President Biden said:

Good. Freaking out that Chris is religious is ridiculous. The US is based on the idea of religious freedom after all. 

I feel like he should be able to be whatever he wants as long as he’s not pushing it on others 

Reality
1 hour ago, OMonster said:

My point is that he is being dragged by association - which is constantly legitimised by the media because it is seen as socially woke to critique western tradition. 

The correlation to muslim faith is that mosques are notorious for 'anti-LGBT' teachings, yet muslim celebrities are never cancelled in this way. 

There's a double standard.

My overall point, to be clear, is that NO ONE should be judged for the actions of others, nor should we reduce a group of people to their worst traits. 

It's not a double standard. Those are two different issues. You can be a religious person and not anti-LGBTQ. They're not one in the same.

You're talking about two different issues: the first is people criticizing others for their faith. No one should be discriminated against for their faith, whether Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, etc., etc., etc. On that same token, no one should be discriminated against if they decide not to practice any particular faith. The second issue is that there are people using their religious beliefs as a way to justify discrimination. 

It's the faith vs. the person. In the Islamic faith, are there anti-LGBTQ teachings? Sure, if you look at the right passages and interpret it that way. Same could be said about most major religions; however, you still decide how to interpret and practice your faith. 

I'm not necessarily saying that Chris Pratt is a homophobic and bigoted person, but it is problematic that he goes to an anti-LGBTQ church. That's just the fact of the matter. 

🖤👹

spicemuncher

I am honestly trying to find out what he did wrong and I can’t find it anywhere.

He’s Christian and attends a church that’s anti-LGBT? That’s it?

Delulu Rogers

Okay so I read the article and the conclusion seems to be that the whole thing is inconclusive??? I literally don’t understand the problem here 

Economy
2 hours ago, OMonster said:

My point is that he is being dragged by association - which is constantly legitimised by the media because it is seen as socially woke to critique western tradition. 

The correlation to muslim faith is that mosques are notorious for 'anti-LGBT' teachings, yet muslim celebrities are never cancelled in this way. 

There's a double standard.

My overall point, to be clear, is that NO ONE should be judged for the actions of others, nor should we reduce a group of people to their worst traits. 

I have noticed this seems to be a big thing and double standard in America

I see supposed progressives constantly bash Christians but if anyone said anything half as back about Muslims or Jews it would be Islamophobia or anti semitism...

I get that society is going all full mode trying to equalize priveledge but sometimes it seems more like they are trying to reverse it than equalize it with all the double standards that keep coming with it :toofunny:

At least that's the impression I get from the US. Here in Canada the dynamics of the group of people who tend to be conservative vs progressive is a little different. Socially speaking it appears to actually be the immigrants who are the conservatives not Canadian born and Canadian Christians have largely faded. They exist but they aren't as charged or as religious as southern US State Christians appear to be

President Biden
3 hours ago, Meruk Holland said:

I don't really have much of an opinion on all this Chris Pratt drama, but this is a bad argument. 

He is free to practice whatever religion he wants, but equally I am allowed to publicly judge his religion for it's views. I am also allowed to speculate that he shares those views, and judge him for it as well. 

Freedom of religion is not freedom from criticism.

Yes but am I saying you don’t have the freedom to criticize? No. On the contrary, people are trying to literally ruin the career of a man over his personal religious views. Their once was a time in America where people could respect that others practiced different religions than them.

Religion is not really something we need to criticize other people about. No different than “gender identity” or race.

I got drunk

President Biden
1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

It's not a double standard. Those are two different issues. You can be a religious person and not anti-LGBTQ. They're not one in the same.

You're talking about two different issues: the first is people criticizing others for their faith. No one should be discriminated against for their faith, whether Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, etc., etc., etc. On that same token, no one should be discriminated against if they decide not to practice any particular faith. The second issue is that there are people using their religious beliefs as a way to justify discrimination. 

It's the faith vs. the person. In the Islamic faith, are there anti-LGBTQ teachings? Sure, if you look at the right passages and interpret it that way. Same could be said about most major religions; however, you still decide how to interpret and practice your faith. 

I'm not necessarily saying that Chris Pratt is a homophobic and bigoted person, but it is problematic that he goes to an anti-LGBTQ church. That's just the fact of the matter. 

Honey but you do realize the majority of churches use anti gay rhetoric? Just because some old priest claims that doesn’t mean Pratt believes it. I have attended a church that promote anti gay & pro life propaganda. So have my parents, grandparents, friends, etc. That’s just a thing that can happen at a Catholic Church.

Do I disagree with it? Yes. 100%. I’m not particularly religious deep down so I chose to no longer attend.

But some people are very religious and continue to attend. That is their choice. Does that make them homophobic? No.

If that’s the conclusion these days, you’ have to cancel literally every Catholic in America. LMAO

I got drunk

RabbitHeart
1 hour ago, spicemuncher said:

I am honestly trying to find out what he did wrong and I can’t find it anywhere.

He’s Christian and attends a church that’s anti-LGBT? That’s it?

I think people have also pointed out that he follows Ben Shapiro, Dan Crenshaw, and Turning Point USA on IG as signs that he's a republican. He didn't do anything "wrong", people are just saying they don't like him because he's probably a Trump supporter.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing started as a joke because people were doing "one's gotta go" with  famous Chrises (Pine, Pratt, Evans, Hemsworth) and everyone was picking Pratt. I find it kinda funny how celebrities think being "cancelled" even as a joke is like some big hate crime :laughga: 

NORMANDIE
2 hours ago, gumzy3000 said:

Can people leave Chris Pratt alone? Even if he does vote for Trump, that doesn't automatically make him a racist or homophobe. This tribalistic mentality is causing so much hatred and it needs to go. 

Except that if you vote for Trump you're actually supporting racism and homophobia. 

4 hours ago, President Biden said:

Good. Freaking out that Chris is religious is ridiculous. The US is based on the idea of religious freedom after all. 

Exactly. He can be religious and a republican and he has a right to stick by his beliefs as long as he isn’t targeting minorities or being a bigot. That’s why so many people end up going too far right, cause they don’t feel they are even allowed to not represent

ps: while not religious myself, I was raised by my mum and my grandmother, 2 very religious yet kind and generous women. My mum is the one who said to me “never be ashamed of who you are, love yourself and whoever you like and do not let other people’s opinions or accusations get to you. “. Also some of my best friends are Christians and they absolutely love the LGBTQ community, coming from mixed families themselves.Christianity at its core can be a beautiful thing. The issue is those who teach and preach wrong “fake” ideals and opinions while presenting them as “Jesus’s words”

Archived