💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

JLO faces backlash after calling herself 'negrita'

Featured Posts

Economy

And negrita also translates to the same context of a black woman?

I'm just asking cuz before I judge her as racially insensitive and form an opinion I wanna be sure she literally meant she's a black girl Cuz I know in Portuguese vs English u can't always do a literal translation and get the exact same context or thought across :enigma:

In portuguese for example we have a word "morena" which means coloured, but coloured in a way that is refering literally just to whatever ur darker complexion is and is totally seperate to race. A caucasian can be "coloured" by being called "Moreno" but an English person sees "coloured" and think they are appropriating a race.

But I dunno Spanish well so :emma:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ToxicHot

Well maybe she IS Afro-Latina tho? :saladga: Why would she even SAY this line if she wasn’t??

Just like the way she used the n-word on “I’m Real” back in the early 2000’s. People never made a big deal out of that until PC culture became super viral.

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

Gagaloo911

Aren't there more pressing matters to be getting all worked up over :coffee:

Like nvm the ongoing pandemic, atrocities going in in the world, the climate crisis, and rampant inequality basically everywhere apparently..

Jose P
1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

She’s Puerto Rican so...

26766-BDF-411-A-40-A3-A439-3-F0254-BEEDF

Not all Puerto Ricans are of the same ethnicity tho. Applies to all Latin Americans.

Economy
2 minutes ago, VenusHooker said:

Negrita is something like "Little Black Woman". It is used affectively in several LATAM countries.

But what I was asking is if it means little black woman in the same context or if it's different

As I said, we have a word in Portuguese for a coloured person that does not refer to colour from a racial point of view but just from people's Individual skin tones... And u only need a bit of colour to be called that but it doesn't mean u aren't still white/caucasian by race. The word effectively is also like simply calling someone tanned

So I was just wondering if in Spanish there it something to a simmilar context or if it just literally the same thing

Economy
1 hour ago, Jose P said:

Not all Puerto Ricans are of the same ethnicity tho. Applies to all Latin Americans.

And tbh in my opinion ppl take distance ancestry way too seriously

If u go far back enough just about everyone got some kind of mix

Like If 5% of my genetics come from African ancestors that doesn't make me black :rip:

I’m actually Puerto Rican by birth (although transracially Im Scandinavian).

But looking back, whenever negrita/o was used it was following “mi”. And it was always a term of possessive endearment. But I don’t agree with it now because it kinda makes it seem like being darker makes you out to be like a pet. I just don’t agree with it.

BYE

asfittingasmcqueen

I think yall need to understand us latinos communicate in a much more complex way than english speakers do. A single word  in spanish can have SO many different meanings and connotations and not necessarily mean it's literal definition, specially with how many different cultures are native speakers.

I know the lyrics make it seem as if it had a racial undertone, but even if it's not the case, she still makes music for an english audience so I understand people getting upset

Sneaky Oliver

I don’t know how it is for Mexico or wherever she comes from but here in Brazil, the N word has a lovely, cute connotation. It’s like saying “baby” for the English speakers.  But again idk if other countries have the same connotation for the word!

I’m on my Legacy Act era

ALGAYDO

If she was white, I would understand the outrage. But 1) she’s Puerto Rican, and 2) that word is used in Latinx culture to show affection, it doesn’t necessarily correlate with one’s race/ethnicity. She’s been problematic before but this time, she’s in the clear imo. 

In Latinoamerica is a word that express affection, followed by "mi" ocasionally, we don't use it as a slur or racial discrimination, words can have so different meanings in spanish, and in this case, it has nothing to do with cultural apropiation or racial discrimination because is a spanish song marketed for the spanish lengauge people using lyrics merketed for us as a latinoamerican listeners. I have sooooooo many complains about JLO and I can't stand her (mostly because animal cruelty in her clothes line) but in this case, she did nothing wrong, at least from the Latin America perspective the song was created for.

My new single #Tregua available on your favorite streaming service

RAMROD

This is her 2nd backlash this year, what happen? Did Superbowl success get to her head? :oprah:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Anderson123

What a mess lol. Here in Latin America we can call each other "negrita", "chinito" and it's not offensive. Only cancel culture is making a big deal out of this. 

tomsches
6 hours ago, KanyeWest said:

“Siempre serás tu negrita del Bronx,” in English roughly translates to, “I’ll always be your little Black girl from the Bronx.”

This translates to "You will always be your little black girl from the Bronx" though. So maybe she's not even referring to herself :spin:

Archived