Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

JLO faces backlash after calling herself 'negrita'

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

So basically they're mad at her because she hid her identity all these years and is now calling herself black for cultural clout? or..? im confused

I think it's more complex than that as the history of latinos is pretty diverse and they are a diverse group

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, River said:

It's not the first time, she (or Ashanti) said the N word in I'm Real remix too

Ashanti is from african descent tho?

At this point celebrities who should know better are walking straight into it. She should have known and I can't see how she could claim to not, at the least, she should have cleared it ahead of time with her "thoughtful" and readied statement and her personal thoughts on this matter. Seems she hoped for the controversy and confusion?

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

14 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

So basically they're mad at her because she hid her identity all these years and is now calling herself black for cultural clout? or..? im confused

13 minutes ago, LaLuna said:

So being of "partially African descent" makes you Black?

But her acting Black isn't anything new, she did it in the J.Lo. era way back in 2001.

I’m saying she’s Puerto Rican not Black :huntyga:

Hottie Detector

Negrita in Latin countries is not a bad word or with racist connotations tho :oprah:

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

10 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

Ashanti is from african descent tho?

yeah but even though Ashanti sang the demo and sings most parts of the song, allegedly, nobody really confirmed that it's Ashanti that said that line so for the moment it's J.Lo

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Its nothing to do with race.

This person is pissed off with jlo because they have nothing better to do with their insignificant little life. Bye.

myluis617

Latin and hispanic women of color are called negrita. I can see how some people can have problem with it though, Jlo is tan but not dark skinned. 

Battle 4 Ur Life

I think the only ones who are allowed to be angry at this are the ones who speak the language and use the word in fact. everyone else, just go mind your own business.

J-Lo is in no way tho passable as a black woman and also should have seen this one coming. 

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

PsychoMaxcara

Seriously, her entire career was build on the backs of black artists. She never outright emulated or pretended to be African American but I recall the 'cornrow look' in the Love Don't Cost a Thing video and believing she was mixed. Obviously, most of her songs (if not all) are written by black songwriters and their background vocals are often featured prominently. Also, the producers she's worked with for her first two albums were major players during the R&B/urban trend. She's one of the most blatant examples of artists who use the black community as a trend and then drop it like a hot potato when it's no longer bringing in the cash to serve Eurodance realness like On the Floor.  

32 minutes ago, myluis617 said:

Latin and hispanic women of color are called negrita. I can see how some people can have problem with it though, Jlo is tan but not dark skinned. 

44 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Negrita in Latin countries is not a bad word or with racist connotations tho :oprah:

Both true.

Should Jennifer Lopez refer to herself as that? Probably not, but it's not uncommon for Latinos that are J.lo's color to be referred to as "negrito" or "negrita" by other people even just for having a skin tone that's darker than pale white.

I guess if she wants to be more accurate, she can say, "Tu triguena del Bronx." :ladyhaha:

JoanneMonster

It doesn't have a racist intention, that's a word that a lot of latin american countries use... It's like "mamacita" that doesn't mean you are calling someone "your mother"

I See You

PlastiscGuy
1 hour ago, Enzo said:

When they find out what Argentine call poor people... or thieves :selena:

PG.

Alvaro Moreno Ullrich

In latin america we use "negrita" even when you are just tanned or to show affection ... so CHILEEEEE

Archived