💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Opinion: ARTPOP has no fillers

mic

Featured Posts

Cookie Tookie
6 minutes ago, HotLikeMexico said:

People calling Dope filler. Just because YOU don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s filler. It’s a great song. 

It’s my favorite song on ARTPOP tbh

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VOLANTIS

The whole album is a filler in her discography but we've decided to pretend to love it anyways. :heart: 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

MiQuenDroid
4 hours ago, Biggest Bitch said:

Donatella, Jewels N’ Drugs, Fashion!, Swine, Aura, Applause say hi :vegas:

Applause?????? :bye:

All I ever wanted was love...

MaMaMarryTheNight

The fillers first came with Joanne tho

lady-gaga-2018.jpg

⚔️💖 THE PAID PARTNERSHIPS CONTINUE💖⚔️

HotLikeMexico
1 hour ago, VOLANTIS said:

The whole album is a filler in her discography but we've decided to pretend to love it anyways. :heart: 

what is your avi. it's purrrty.

Ok so I'm very passionate about ARTPOP so I will argue against each track being filler, because imo there isn't a single skip on that album nor is there an empty song.

Those are my two main criterions for a filler : is the song enjoyable and does it have a message or a role in the album.

Aura : Obviously not filler. Meant to be both the lead and Paparazzi pt. 3. The most experimental track of the album (and imo the best). First mention of "Enigma" which has been an important concept in her recent career. 

ARTPOP : Not filler. It states the album's meaning. The piano version is to die for.

Venus : It basically had single status and is a fan favorite. I don't see any reason why it'd be filler.

G.U.Y. : The chorus is simple but the opening lines are very out there and showcase the mythology aspect of ARTPOP. It got a whole mini-movie so even if you think the song is simple, it wasn't an afterthought. 

MANiCURE : I guess... People call it a filler because it's another song about men/sex? I don't have any argument for that one besides the fact if ****ing SLAPS and is imo one of her best songs. It's the most explosive one so I feel like it embodies ARTPOP, and it's also unique since it has a rock vibe to it. It reminds me of Call me by Blondie.

Sexxx Dreams : Wasn't it meant to be the lead too at some point? Anyways, I think that'd be the closest to filler musically, but it's a fan favorite and was considered for single treatment so it's not really.

Jewels N' Drugs : :bear::poot::billie::selena: ok this is gonna be hard to defend. If you had to call one of the tracks filler that'd be it. So I'll take the opinion that "ARTPOP has 1 filler track". BUT I also do not automatically see it as filler considering it's the only one in this genre on the album, and was even Gaga's favorite at some point. 

Fashion! : STOP. CALLING. IT. FILLER. :grr: It's a grandiose ode to, well, fashion (which is one of Gaga's pleasures in life, falling right in the epicurian motive of the album) and the 80s, David Bowie, space... The imagery with this one is so good. The vibe is unique. 

Donatella : Not filler. Stop calling it filler. It's an ode to Donatella, a friend, an italian woman she probably relates to, an inspiration to her... But it's also satire, a call out, it critiques everything about that same woman's industry. It's a bold move. 

Mary Jane Holland : Not only does it depict one of the most important topics of the album (drugs), it's also probably one of the most important tracks regarding to the original concept for ARTPOP. It was once said the album's story was Gaga killing her blonde pop star self and becoming her brunette true self, or something of the sort. The lyrics of Mary Jane Holland directly reference that idea, making it essential to the world of ARTPOP.

Gypsy : I don't think this song has to be defended, it has a very clear topic that is not really talked about in her other songs, or at least not in that way. It's also very good musically.

Swine : Considering the topic... It's not filler. It's literally about one of her biggest traumas that probably led to the drugs that are talked about in the other tracks.

Dope : A FILLER?! A skip, maybe, but not a filler. I skip it because it breaks the mood. You may not enjoy the raspy vocals (I think they give it character). But the lyrics are SO representative of this period of her life? Are you blind?

Applause : OBVIOUSLY not filler. Not only is it the lead but it is pretty much the only track that talks about her addiction to fame. Yes, it has been talked about in her past work but considering ARTPOP is meant to talk about pretty much all of her desires and passions, fame could not be skipped over. 

Moral of the story : y'all just love calling songs filler because they're about superficial topics, and fail to realize that doesn't make the songs themselves superficial. For instance, Donatella is satire, a social commentary and an homage all at once. I'm not saying it's a literary masterpiece, but it's clearly more than the retail store background track you make it out to be. That applies to most if not all of ARTPOP. In fact the whole point of ARTPOP is that it HAS no point. It's about letting your creativity and passion go wild. Every track is about a pleasure of the human experience ("sex, dance, ARTPOP"). Those pleasures range from superficial love (MANiCURE) to actual love ("Wonder if this could be love") to sex, drugs, fashion, and much more. It's the musical representation of giving into all your desires. She felt compelled to make those specific sounds because they were ENJOYABLE, not because they had a deeper meaning (like it is expected from most releases to be considered worthy). Basically, ARTPOP is an orgasm. When she said it could mean anything, she meant it :vegas:

Justin Drew Bieber

To me fillers are lazily added songs that feel a little uninspired. I’d put these songs as fillers:

Jewels N’ Drugs

MANiCURE

Donatella

.. they have a nice concept but the sound and lyrics just sound so... sleepy?

Agunimon
2 minutes ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

Donatella

I agree with this. I probably skip this song 99% of the time. 

10 hours ago, djBuffoon said:

I love 95% of the songs on ARTPOP, even if I'm still wondering what the overall thesis is. It's just a fun, resonant album, the writing and production is as sharp and eclectic as she's ever given us.

The thesis is:

ARTPOP is the reverse of POPART, instead of bringing pop culture into art, we bring art into pop culture.

Bringing art into pop culture is what Gaga has done since the beginning of her career. Making music, videos and performances that are worthy of being called art is what Gaga does, what Gaga IS.

So if Gaga is the embodiment of ARTPOP, to truly understand what ARTPOP is you need to understand what Lady Gaga as a character represents, and you need to get to know who the real woman behind the character is.

By giving us insight on the things that matter to her and helped her become Lady Gaga (Dance, Sex, Art, Pop, Tech) you will hopefully understand what ARTPOP means by the end of the album.

That is pretty much the deal of the album. Aura, ARTPOP and Applause are the key songs that contextualize everything else and help turn songs that would be shallow otherwise (Donatella, Fashion!, MJH, DWUW) into truly unique insights into the mind of Lady Gaga and her relationship with the world and herself.

ARTPOP has in my opinion the deepest and most interesting concept out of all of her albums. Sadly, it’s way too obtuse and pretentious for the GP, which is a big reason why it turned so many people off, but for fans it has so many layers to peel off, which is also a big reason why the album is still talked about this often.

I don’t think she executes the concept perfectly though, in fact you could argue that she failed. If most casual listeners don’t understand or don’t care about the main concept of your album maybe you should try to make it clearer or stay on topic more often. Still, I think the main thesis of the album is pretty clear if you’re a monster, so it kinda baffles me that so many don’t get it or refuse to give it any thought.

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

She writes like 100 songs for every album so literally none of her songs are fillers aka a song added to fill up space. She chose every song specifically because she thought it was good enough.

Mte.  There are no fillers.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Archived