Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Should Lana Del Rey grow up as an artist?

Bambino

Featured Posts

Bambino

I love her but her music, lyrics and melodies have been the same for quite sometime now. I can no longer tell one song from another tbh, nor do I recognize a melody in an album from another one. Everything she's doing has been overused, milked and just sounds very exhausted. Her new single sounds like it didn't make the cut in any of her previous albums, because, well, they all sound the same.

She's always singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention... etc!

I like how she may want to remain loyal to her alternative sounds but she can come up with something new and creative. She doesn't look like she's taking any risks, which makes her look as she's just bored of what she does.

And the new single artwork, which I, and many others, thought was just a fanmade edit. I mean please.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NFRatwell

It may come as a surprise but not every female artist is meant to please you. I defended your Lana debuts a new body thread but it’s clear now you just don’t like her, and if that’s true maybe you need to stop making threads about her. 

Bambino
2 minutes ago, NFRatwell said:

It may come as a surprise but not every female artist is meant to please you. I defended your Lana debuts a new body thread but it’s clear now you just don’t like her, and if that’s true maybe you need to stop making threads about her. 

If I don't like her, I wouldn't make threads about her to discuss her. If I don't like her, I wouldn't know her music sounds the same. Being a fan of someone doesn't mean to agree with everything they do. Some people here don't like everything Gaga does and they criticize her but they do it in a respectful way, which is how and why constructive criticism is allowed on here.

Why are you even on a forum if you're gonna reject the fact that people have opinions and are here to discuss things?

I'm not gonna even argue the "debut a new body" comment but you guys have to move on from that as if I did something unforgivable :smh: I'm reporting next time someone makes mention of that thread in an uncalled for context/discussion.

Cookie Tookie

She’s the only artist that continues to give me what I want. So you don’t like her visuals? Okay? I don’t get how that minimizes her artistry. NFR was a brilliant work of art and truly showcased that after all these years, she can still outdo herself. She doesn’t care about being in the mainstream, or selling herself according to today’s cringey standards. Just let the girl be and do her own thing, and go find someone else who gives you what you want. 

I think she found peace in her life and in her music and has found a sound that is hers and that she's sure to nail every single time, +it's timeless. The things she does now will sound just as great in 30 years and she'll be able to look at this without cringing too hard you know. For an artist, it's a really comfortable place to be, she can express herself very easily with this, and finding your own sound is something many artists look for their whole life, so I'd imagine she feels at ease now and she probably doesn't need more. However, once you found a sound that's so you, you can evolve from it, and I do think she's gonna come to a point where she'll want to experiment a bit, maybe she has already, she mentioned a song called Dealer that she wasn't sure would be on the album or not, I hope it will be 'cause she did say it was "different" and according to her she's shouting on it. 

Bambino
1 minute ago, Cookie Tookie said:

She’s the only artist that continues to give me what I want. So you don’t like her visuals? Okay? I don’t get how that minimizes her artistry. NFR was a brilliant work of art and truly showcased that after all these years, she can still outdo herself. She doesn’t care about being in the mainstream, or selling herself according to today’s cringey standards. Just let the girl be and do her own thing, and go find someone else who gives you what you want. 

I never said she has go mainstream or be a sell-out. Gaga, for example, remained the artist she is to herself and to the public yet she managed to reinvent herself and her sound and still was able to keep her artistry and creativity through the process. As a fan, I'd like to see Lana do that and explore more into her creativity as an artist.

Bambino
2 minutes ago, FunkYou said:

I think she found peace in her life and in her music and has found a sound that is hers and that she's sure to nail every single time, +it's timeless. The things she does now will sound just as great in 30 years and she'll be able to look at this without cringing too hard you know. For an artist, it's a really comfortable place to be, she can express herself very easily with this, and finding your own sound is something many artists look for their whole life, so I'd imagine she feels at ease now and she probably doesn't need more. However, once you found a sound that's so you, you can evolve from it, and I do think she's gonna come to a point where she'll want to experiment a bit, maybe she has already, she mentioned a song called Dealer that she wasn't sure would be on the album or not, I hope it will be 'cause she did say it was "different" and according to her she's shouting on it. 

Thanks for this nicely put response. It's great when artists to find their sounds, but it's greater when people can recognize that sound. Not everything Lana does should similar to Ultraviolence, but she proved she could amazingly do songs like "Damn You" which for some reason, remains unreleased.

NFRatwell
11 minutes ago, Bambino said:

If I don't like her, I wouldn't make threads about her to discuss her. If I don't like her, I wouldn't know her music sounds the same. Being a fan of someone doesn't mean to agree with everything they do. Some people here don't like everything Gaga does and they criticize her but they do it in a respectful way, which is how and why constructive criticism is allowed on here.

If you did like her and you were a fan you’d understand her art comes from her past and is very self reflective. She’s not going to feed you songs that aren't true to herself because you’re tired of hearing her “singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention”

And you just accused her of being tired of her craft and “bored of what she does” as if she isn’t a heavily artistic person who just released an album and a poetry book in the past year and is starting an era. If she was bored she wouldn’t be releasing music and she’d be comfortable with the millions she has. Let her live her art and don’t accuse her of things because she doesn’t fit what you want her to be. If you want “nicely put responses” maybe word your OP nicely too. “I mean please”

hausofcy

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and I kinda get what you’re trying to say since her genre has a specific sound but if you analyze her work a bit more she has definitely matured as an artist. 

BTD/paradise - her most “poppy” sound full of dark bops and lyrics

Ultraviolence - her darkest album with a more grunge/raw feel. 

Honeymoon - the complete opposite of ultraviolence in terms of sound and themes. A record that resembles a hot summery day mood. Personally it’s a borefest for me but still she changed her sound.

Lust for Life - Her most “hopeful” album. She really changed her way of songwriting at this point. She went from suicidal/abusive bops to an album that’s literally called lust for life. Another way she evolved. 

NFR - her most mature work from sound to lyrics. You can tell she has evolved as an artist and person. No more suicidal themes, abusive relationships. She has become a woman that knows what she wants and what she deserves.

COTCC - so far it seems to be in line with NFR which makes sense considering they were written around the same time. You can tell she is more in touch with her feminine side than ever before. Even a bit motherly you could say. “Let me love you like a woman. Let me hold you like a baby”.

She literally went from singing about abusive sugar daddies to this. You may not be a huge fan but don’t say she has to grow up and change her style a bit more cause that’s what she’s been doing ever since the release of BTD. That’s just my 2 cents. 

🇯🇵

Bambino
3 minutes ago, NFRatwell said:

If you did like her and you were a fan you’d understand her art comes from her past and is very self reflective. She’s not going to feed you songs that aren't true to herself because you’re tired of hearing her “singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention”

And you just accused her of being tired of her craft and “bored of what she does” as if she isn’t a heavily artistic person who just released an album and a poetry book in the past year and is starting an era. If she was bored she wouldn’t be releasing music and she’d be comfortable with the millions she has. Let her live her art and don’t accuse her of things because she doesn’t fit what you want her to be. 

I can say the same about Gaga, whose music is clearly connected to her past, but she's able to put it out differently and creatively. I don't want to make unfair and uncalled for comparisons but why it's so wrong that I want Lana to explore more into her artistry while remaining true to her art? Artists do that all the time, still have their sound and art.

I just gave an opinion about an artist that I like yet you can't seem to stop judging me and lowkey accusing me of being a "hater." I criticize Paulina Rubio, who I promote on here so much it's becoming funny, every ****ing time, what's your point?

BleepBloop
36 minutes ago, Bambino said:

She's always singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention... etc!

Stopped reading here. This is the most tired and ignorant complain from people who dislike Lana. Not even one and I repeat ONE song from LFL or NFR is about having daddy issues and/or being depressed.

Laughable thread

She has grown EXTREMELY since Born To Die. For better or for worse, she's not even recognizable from who she was back then as an artist and as a person

Lord Temptation

I luv ha too but I agree ha songs aren’t that distinct from each other, even though ha albums are, which is kinda strange :chica:

Fernster7

Her fans are used to her doing the bare minimum and they'll never accept your opinion. I used to like her but now she just sounds the same all the time.

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

Archived