💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Should Lana Del Rey grow up as an artist?

Bambino

Featured Posts

littlepotter
17 hours ago, Bambino said:

She's always singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention... etc!

I'm sorry, is this 2014? :toofunny: i cannot tell if you're trolling. 

17 hours ago, Fernster7 said:

Her fans are used to her doing the bare minimum and they'll never accept your opinion. I used to like her but now she just sounds the same all the time.

Not the bare minimum when she's literally in her own lane musically... i'm so tired of female artists constantly being asked to change to please, or else they're discarded. 

chaeri pls

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lona Delery

oh, another flamebait thread courtesy of Bambino :toofunny: whats the point of discussing this with a troll

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

NightStar

Couldn't agree with that. Of all the artists with a sense of cohesiveness about their work, she is one of the few that has somehow managed to provide variety on her records while staying unmistakably herself. 

I mean, there is hardly another sophomore album that's as different from the debut as Born To Die is from Ultraviolence. Stripped from the beats and the speed of her debut album, it is the slow-tempo narcolepsy filled with Auerbach's strings and drums, there's more aggressiveness to its themes and lyrics and little hope for happy ending. 

Honeymoon is even more shy of beats, and it serves jazz and blues influences. What I mean to say is that her first three records are as different as they can get while remaining within the same artistic range, and I literally can't understand people who say that "Off to the Races", "West Coast" and "Honeymoon" sound the same. 

That being said, I've heard many fans say that there aren't as much difference between "Lust for Life" and "Norman Fu**ing Rockwell" as there's among her first three albums; however, I can't understand why it necessarily has to count for the lack of artistic growth. What's "overused, milk and exhausted" for some counts for artistic integrity, cohesiveness and clear artistic vision for others. To blame Lana for writing about the same themes is like blaming Tony Bennett for singing jazz song for the eternity of his career, and it appears that due to the more upbeat nature and online exposure of her debut record, many casual pop fans developed some sort of expectations - like there was another *** bopping pop star in the making, while she was nothing like that from the beginning. 

20 hours ago, Bambino said:

I love her but her music, lyrics and melodies have been the same for quite sometime now. I can no longer tell one song from another tbh, nor do I recognize a melody in an album from another one. Everything she's doing has been overused, milked and just sounds very exhausted. Her new single sounds like it didn't make the cut in any of her previous albums, because, well, they all sound the same.

She's always singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention... etc!

I like how she may want to remain loyal to her alternative sounds but she can come up with something new and creative. She doesn't look like she's taking any risks, which makes her look as she's just bored of what she does.

And the new single artwork, which I, and many others, thought was just a fanmade edit. I mean please.

You sound so bitter.

Actually she's progressed a lot in her musical world and songwriting ability.

Thats her artistry and her artistic right, fun fact: you don't have to like it.

donatellab

What’s it with GGD hating on female artists, bodyshaming them and telling them to grow and change everything about themselves, so "they’d like the artist more". She and her sound has changed and evolved a lot in the past years, and yet she still has stayed in her own lane. Not every artist needs to change and do different genres every era to stay relevant. I wouldn’t want to hear a bubblegum pop album etc from her, because it just doesn’t suit her style and her voice. It’s always the women people come for, but if a male artist does the same sounds over and over again, it’s called being cohesive and staying true to yourself. 

She/Her/Hers

AphroditeLaydee
3 hours ago, littlepotter said:

I'm sorry, is this 2014? :toofunny: i cannot tell if you're trolling. 

Not the bare minimum when she's literally in her own lane musically... i'm so tired of female artists constantly being asked to change to please, or else they're discarded. 

TRUE and especially when men serve the same thing all the time!!

SpookyKid

I actually think all her albums have a different sound. You can easily tell by the sound of the songs, so I don't get this whole "all the songs sound the same" bitch where.

Listen to West Coast, then Salvatore, then The Greatest and tell me they sound alike lol

Life has a hopeful undertone |-/

AphroditeLaydee
39 minutes ago, NightStar said:

Couldn't agree with that. Of all the artists with a sense of cohesiveness about their work, she is one of the few that has somehow managed to provide variety on her records while staying unmistakably herself. 

I mean, there is hardly another sophomore album that's as different from the debut as Born To Die is from Ultraviolence. Stripped from the beats and the speed of her debut album, it is the slow-tempo narcolepsy filled with Auerbach's strings and drums, there's more aggressiveness to its themes and lyrics and little hope for happy ending. 

Honeymoon is even more shy of beats, and it serves jazz and blues influences. What I mean to say is that her first three records are as different as they can get while remaining within the same artistic range, and I literally can't understand people who say that "Off to the Races", "West Coast" and "Honeymoon" sound the same. 

That being said, I've heard many fans say that there aren't as much difference between "Lust for Life" and "Norman Fu**ing Rockwell" as there's among her first three albums; however, I can't understand why it necessarily has to count for the lack of artistic growth. What's "overused, milk and exhausted" for some counts for artistic integrity, cohesiveness and clear artistic vision for others. To blame Lana for writing about the same themes is like blaming Tony Bennett for singing jazz song for the eternity of his career, and it appears that due to the more upbeat nature and online exposure of her debut record, many casual pop fans developed some sort of expectations - like there was another *** bopping pop star in the making, while she was nothing like that from the beginning. 

AMEN!! ALL THIS!! You said it perfectly, that Lana has 'somehow managed to provide variety on her records while staying unmistakably herself' AMEN

And I agree, there's so much difference in Born To Die and Ultraviolence alone that when UV originally came out I fell out of liking Lana because I was young and I didn't get it then. I don't understand it when people say all her music is the same now. Like... what?

StrawberryBlond

She has experimented with different sounds ever since her second album, though. As much as I loved her music, I thought from the outset that she was just going to make albums like BTD for the rest of her days. When she put out UV and it was alt rock/blues inspired and not as poppy, I knew she was so much more than she first appeared. Ever since, she's woven different sounds through all her albums and her song content has changed with her delving into political topics too. She's not the co-dependent girl who glamourises abusive relationships anymore, she's grown into a self-assured woman who wants men to respect her and it shows in her last few albums. There's nothing wrong with just giving fans what they want. She may have a niche fanbase but its been proven that if you really cater to a niche, you'll have fans for life, small but loyal and all that. There are plenty of artists doing the things you'd like her to be, so just listen to them. It's all very well to suggest ways an artist could make a comeback but telling them to change to suit your personal taste when you already have a plethora of other artists who cater to the taste you want doesn't make sense. It's like writing to a company to complain that you don't like the taste of their food product and ask them to change the recipe. It's like, just find a company that makes it how you like it, don't ruin it for the loyal consumers of this product who like the recipe the way it is.

Archived