Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Should Lana Del Rey grow up as an artist?

Bambino

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Bambino said:

I can no longer tell one song from another tbh, nor do I recognize a melody in an album from another one.

I can understand that

She's always singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention... etc!

She sang about california fires, the feeling of powerlessness in this chaotic time we living, she sang about happiness, that it comes and goes, she sang about having small problems compared to other people in the wrld, she sang about the problems her country has been facing, in only the song The Greatest u find different subjects she tackles on which is nostalgia, the nostlagia of the "good old times" when she felt happier, when the world felt more "stable", to how she observes people entertaining themselves with pointless issues when big issues are happening around them, as a distraction or to cope with life. In Mariners Apartment Complex she tackles the topic of happiness and how she was able to grow stronger as a person. Yes many songs are about love just like Gaga so it's a bit hypocritical but I think you don't pay attention to the meaning of her lyrics because you're not as much of a fan of the music or you don't connect to it. Lana's songs especially the recent albums have been nothing but diverse in terms of the messages she talks about, all of them seemingly sounding close to a private diary in the form of poetry and music. 

I like how she may want to remain loyal to her alternative sounds but she can come up with something new and creative. She doesn't look like she's taking any risks, which makes her look as she's just bored of what she does.

I feel nothing but the love she has for making music personally. Yes her mvideos can be repetitive with the vintage editing style from Iphone but personally to me all that mattered was the music. It connects to me in a way that not many modern songs do, because it feels truthful and real. I think you just dont connect with Lana and that's totally fine. I think you'd be much more satisfied with real pop stars who change outfits and transform themselves every era

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark

Lana is a very good lyricist..and I'm not just saying this as a fan because plenty of critics have given her major kudos for her songwriting ability. Her lyrics tend to be complex and mature. Some of her earlier songwriting did occasionally delve into a "cool girl/try too hard" vibe (Cola) but Honeymoon, Lust for Life, NFR....perfection. I will agree that sometimes her melodies sound very similar—almost too similar—but that is her thing. Artists shouldn't have to reinvent themselves constantly if they don't feel like it.

Also, in terms of subject matter....it definitely has changed a lot from Born to Die to NFR. Yes, there's still that sort of retro throwback vibe BUT she's gone from singing about abusive sugar daddies to independence, overcoming addiction, etc. Even in terms of singing about relationships, she's evolved...look at Ultraviolence vs. Mariner's Apartment Complex.

At the end of they day, she cares about the charts (her past tweets reveal that she cares to a certain degree) but not enough to change her sound to get a chart topper and that's fine.

The Idler Wheel

I think that the world she's created in her catalog is part of her charm. Too many artists try different sounds and styles that don't fit them as an artist, and they end up failing (Joanne). I like that Lana doesn't pretend to be someone she isn't. Regardless, BTD, UV, HM, LFL and NFR are all very different works with different aesthetics.

Justin Drew Bieber
1 hour ago, The Idler Wheel said:

I think that the world she's created in her catalog is part of her charm. Too many artists try different sounds and styles that don't fit them as an artist, and they end up failing (Joanne). I like that Lana doesn't pretend to be someone she isn't. Regardless, BTD, UV, HM, LFL and NFR are all very different works with different aesthetics.

Which sound from Joanne doesn’t fit Gaga?

Taylucifer

I get what you mean and I agree to an extent, she has kinda stuck within the same themes and sound for a while now and I would be interested to see what she can do outside of that

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Pop fans are obsessed with reinvention, even when it doesn’t really make sense, like in this case.  Most pop artists change their sound to keep themselves relevant in the commercial landscape, very few do it for their artistry.

KennyRichie
2 hours ago, The Idler Wheel said:

Joannes not a fail. It even sold and peaked higher than Lanas albums. That’s a weird statement 

The Idler Wheel
8 minutes ago, KennyRichie said:

Joannes not a fail. It even sold and peaked higher than Lanas albums. That’s a weird statement 

Shut the **** up. I didn't mention anything about sales, you weirdo. It was cringeworthy and embarrassing to watch her dress up like a cowgirl and sing about a dead woman she never even met. I said it was a fail because I thought it was a fail. This is 2020 and no one cares about charts or sales anymore. Get over it. 

IllusionLover
11 hours ago, hausofcy said:

COTCC

Wasn't it COCC :selena:

13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes

Jose P
12 hours ago, Bambino said:

She's always singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention... etc!

LMFAO what the hell? Have you even heard her discography? Have you not noticed the lyrical changes and evolution from Born To Die and NFR? Her subject matter has stopped being about lusting over old men and running away with someone, like have you for real listened to the NFR lyrics? And even if she hasn’t, well that’s her artistry, Lana writes about herself (albeit in a dramatized manner sometimes) and what she wishes to express. Not every artist will do abrupt genre or style changes. What do you want her to sing about if it’s not what she wishes to express of herself as an artist? Photosynthesis or something? Like please lol.

Interesting coming from the person who made questionable comments about her body before. Very ironic.

KennyRichie
1 hour ago, The Idler Wheel said:

Shut the **** up. I didn't mention anything about sales, you weirdo. It was cringeworthy and embarrassing to watch her dress up like a cowgirl and sing about a dead woman she never even met. I said it was a fail because I thought it was a fail. This is 2020 and no one cares about charts or sales anymore. Get over it. 

Wow. Are you some sort of troll? Who gets this angry and starts and tried to offend over nothing? People can have different opinions and that’s alright. Take it easy.

neopet bbq

norman rockwell was her best album though and also mature? her last two have been the most solid but nfr was way more organic than the previous ones so idk about what u sayin. 

Archived