Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Should Lana Del Rey grow up as an artist?

Bambino

Featured Posts

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was hardbfor me to seallow this single at first, maybe bc of all the drama surrounding her lately and it isn't groundbreaking

but i feel like she's coming back to her roots, this song sounds like something she released before she created lana del rey and the video looks like it too, so i think it's really nice seeing her embracing her old self

... and now i just sit in silence.

Chromatography

i’m shocked that people in here are saying lana isn’t mainstream..she 100% is. she is not indie or alternative by any stretch of the imagination.

Id say honeymoon has songs that diverge a bit from the lana usual route. Its clear she has a lana kind of song. Id say its difficult to make something so much different  cause of her voice, the way she sings. 

PsychoMaxcara

I honestly think Lana is an artist that you're bound to find repetitive if you binge-listen to her music (as we, stans, often tend to do). Frankly, I've had to take several breaks from listening to Gaga because I'd gotten to a point in the past where I was listening to her ad nauseum and I even started disliking songs that I used to love before. If you give yourself longer spaces of time of *not* listening to Lana between going from one record to another IF you're the type of person that still listens to records in their entirety as opposed to shuffling songs on Spotify, you won't find her stuff AS repetitive. Trust me on this, you'll find her recent songs just as refreshing as the old ones.

But I do have to acknowledge that she likes to recycle certain things over and over to the point where her songs can sometimes sound like a parody lol. However, I think she's very much self-aware about that.

plastiquedoll

I don't know how much more she can grow honestly. She has reached a very mature sound and way of writing that suits her voice. Even more now that she is delving in to her poetry. 

RichAssPiss

This thread is so unnecessary. NFR was a major growth, her best album, and the actualization of so much of her initial promise. She's been maturing and deepening her writing. The title track to NFR is next level for her in terms of lyrical wit and melodic purity. She was nominated for album and song of the year for the first time last year. 

Lana Del Rey HAS grown as an artist. I guess you aren't listening to her albums, maybe you are just playing her old "hits" or old popular videos? Lana has done a great deal of growth in this time, love it or hate it, her current sound is new and a lot different than her beginning past.

Maybe you are jealous of her sound that she is known for, it works and she shouldn't stray from it, she is a much loved and needed artist, we fans love HER SOUND.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

NewYorkGirl

Fans love her for what she is. Not everyone will agree she’s grown as an artist and that’s okay. She can’t please everyone. However, she’s found her niche and she sticks to it because it’s what the majority of her fans love and relate to - and that doesn’t mean she hasn’t grown as an artist. 

My. Lawyer. Liked. That.

crybrowz

I disagree with the notion that all of her songs sound the same. While she reuses certain lyrical motifs throughout her discography, I think each of her albums have their own distinct sound. I could never imagine Venice Bitch on BTD or Cruel World on L4L. I really don't think any of these songs sound the same. 

I also disagree with the idea that artists, particularly female artists, have to reinvent themselves all the time to stay relevant. If she is happy with who she is as an artist she shouldn't have to change. I think she's doing great :vegas:

There is also a very big difference in Lana's early career sound before she was Lana Del Rey into New York Lana Del Rey into California west coast Lana Del Rey, now she says she is singing from a mid- west American stand point, she's grown very different, though she often sings of Love. Perhaps you are just making fun of her subject matter?

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

RudraCNG

Why this obsession with the "artists should explore different genres" stuff? Is an "all-you-can-eat" buffet better than a sushi restaurant?

Archived