Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Should Lana Del Rey grow up as an artist?

Bambino

Featured Posts

Bambino
3 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Stopped reading here. This is the most tired and ignorant complain from people who dislike Lana. Not even one and I repeat ONE song from LFL or NFR is about having daddy issues and/or being depressed.

Laughable thread

Don't stop reading and make assumptions. Read the thread as I, and more people, are exploring more into our points. Then you may laugh for all I care.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bambino
16 minutes ago, hausofcy said:

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and I kinda get what you’re trying to say since her genre has a specific sound but if you analyze her work a bit more she has definitely matured as an artist. 

BTD/paradise - her most “poppy” sound full of dark bops and lyrics

Ultraviolence - her darkest album with a more grunge/raw feel. 

Honeymoon - the complete opposite of ultraviolence in terms of sound and themes. A record that resembles a hot summery day mood. Personally it’s a borefest for me but still she changed her sound.

Lust for Life - Her most “hopeful” album. She really changed her way of songwriting at this point. She went from suicidal/abusive bops to an album that’s literally called lust for life. Another way she evolved. 

NFR - her most mature work from sound to lyrics. You can tell she has evolved as an artist and person. No more suicidal themes, abusive relationships. She has become a woman that knows what she wants and what she deserves.

COTCC - so far it seems to be in line with NFR which makes sense considering they were written around the same time. You can tell she is more in touch with her feminine side than ever before. Even a bit motherly you could say. “Let me love you like a woman. Let me hold you like a baby”.

She literally went from singing about abusive sugar daddies to this. You may not be a huge fan but don’t say she has to grow up and change her style a bit more cause that’s what she’s been doing ever since the release of BTD. That’s just my 2 cents. 

Thanks for the analysis. I do the recognize the themes of each album are different but I mentioned the melodies sometimes sound the same to me. It's probably how she put out or present these themes. She did an amazing job in BTD and Paradise because not one song is similar to another but the rest of her albums, with the exception of some songs, are kinda the same production/melody-wise. NFR is great, that I can agree with.

BleepBloop
1 minute ago, Bambino said:

Don't stop reading and make assumptions. Read the thread as I, and more people, are exploring more into our points. Then you may laugh for all I care.

What you said was a falsehood born from ignorancy, that is what I'm saying. You thought that you were stating facts, but you weren't – thus, thread pointless

Bambino
3 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

What you said was a falsehood born from ignorancy, that is what I'm saying. You thought that you were stating facts, but you weren't – thus, thread pointless

I tagged the thread with "opinion" for a reason. The thread title is a question for people to generate more opinions. Where in that do you find me stating facts? I shared my opinion but if it's so hard for you to accept people's opinions and call stuff you don't like "ignorance", then maybe you shouldn't be on a forum.

BleepBloop
Just now, Bambino said:

I tagged the thread with "opinion" for a reason. The thread title is a question for people to generate more opinions. Where in that do you find me stating facts? I shared my opinion but it's so hard for you to accept people's opinions and call stuff you don't like "ignorance", then maybe you shouldn't be on a forum.

Okay, saying that someone IS DOING SOMETHING (you saying that she only sings about being depressed and older men), is not an opinion. It's you stating "facts"

BleepBloop
3 minutes ago, Bambino said:

I tagged the thread with "opinion" for a reason. The thread title is a question for people to generate more opinions. Where in that do you find me stating facts? I shared my opinion but if it's so hard for you to accept people's opinions and call stuff you don't like "ignorance", then maybe you shouldn't be on a forum.

You saying that she sounds the same all the time, truly is an opinion. But I wasn't talking about that part of your post

NFRatwell

Like I said before, not every artist is going to do the things you want them to do, and to completely trash them for being bored or uninspired, trash their lyrics, and their cover art isn’t a talking point for discussion, it’s trolling. 

Bambino
Just now, Sneaky said:

Okay, saying that someone IS DOING SOMETHING (you saying that she only sings about being depressed and older men), is not an opinion. It's you stating "facts"

So that would radically change if I said "I think that Lana is singing about being depressed and old men?" :usrs:

You took only the first part of that sentence and made it out of context. Not cool.

Bambino
1 minute ago, NFRatwell said:

Like I said before, not every artist is going to do the things you want them to do, and to completely trash them for being bored or uninspired, trash their lyrics, and their cover art isn’t a talking point for discussion, it’s trolling. 

I don't see anyone trashing any artist here. It's just people sharing opinion and criticism and not a single diss or shade has been made. But I get it's difficult for a Lana stan to accept that, right NRFatwell?

53 minutes ago, Bambino said:

I love her but her music, lyrics and melodies have been the same for quite sometime now. I can no longer tell one song from another tbh, nor do I recognize a melody in an album from another one. Everything she's doing has been overused, milked and just sounds very exhausted. Her new single sounds like it didn't make the cut in any of her previous albums, because, well, they all sound the same.

She's always singing about either feeling sad or depressed, lusting over old men, running away with someone to and/or from a US city/state whose name she always has to mention... etc!

I like how she may want to remain loyal to her alternative sounds but she can come up with something new and creative. She doesn't look like she's taking any risks, which makes her look as she's just bored of what she does.

And the new single artwork, which I, and many others, thought was just a fanmade edit. I mean please.

That's so not true omg Have you even listened to her albums?

Kindness rules all.

alsemanche

I don't understand the obsession with artists "growing" tbh. She has a specific sound that she plays with and changes it up with her albums while still keeping her signature Lana vibes and sound and I think that's cool. I'm not even a huge fan of her work but I still like that she can stay true to herself and play around with what she does best. I feel like fans are always on artists' necks asking them to "grow" artistically and it doesn't make much sense to me. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

tomsches

Every single one of her album sounds very different though. If you can't hear a difference in her albums, you're lacking knowledge of music tbh. 

That being sad, while I don't think it's a bad song LMLYLAW does sound kind of repetitive and uninspired. I'm still excited for her new album because I just like that kind of music and I love cocc. 

Dr Fudge

I think the idea that a female artist needs to constantly reinvent herself to stay relevant is a dangerous one. There’s nothing wrong with sticking with something that you’re good at. This is clear by how critically acclaimed NFR was. Lana is a beautiful lyricist and, as a fan, I listen to her continuously because I know I’m gonna get slower paced ballads for the majority of her music. It’s peaceful and enjoyable. 

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

Archived