💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

If You Don't Stream Something, It Might Actually Go Away

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

streaming-attention-lead

Since the very beginning of his career, all of 6ix9ine's decisions have been made in service of one simple goal: to attract as much attention as possible. Before he even began rapping, he went viral for wearing a shirt that said "*** Eater" with the number "69" on it. And from there, he designed his entire aesthetic around catching people's eyes as they scrolled through Instagram feeds. Dying his hair and covering himself in over-the-top tattoos, he yelled, trolled, picked fights, recorded aggressive music, and made intentionally controversial statements. 

6ix9ine fully leaned into the idea that in today’s era, any attention is good attention. A hate-click is still a click. He knew that getting someone to stream his song out of pure curiosity would put just as much money in his pocket as a stream from an avid fan who actually enjoys the music.

And he made the most of the platform, telling everyone to go stream his comeback music video for "GOOBA," which shattered an all-time YouTube record for the biggest hip-hop video debut, with a staggering 43.55 million views in a 24-hour period. A month later, his follow-up single with Nicki Minaj, "TROLLZ," debuted at the top of the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the first No. 1 single of his career.

Then, everything changed. The actual first-week sales for TattleTales were dramatically lower than projections. 

At first, he tried to laugh along with it, making tongue-in-cheek videos of himself desperately passing out copies of his CD to people in the street and tearing down his own promotional posters. But the lack of attention deprived 6ix9ine of his most important fuel.

Most importantly, though, the disappointing commercial performance of TattleTales hit 6ix9ine in his wallet. After all, funding his post-prison antics required a lot of money: he admitted to paying six figures a month on a 24/7 security team to keep him safe during his public stunts. And his label, which reportedly signed him to a deal worth over $10 million, was hoping for much higher sales numbers than what he achieved. Fifty-three thousand first-week units is a concerning number for an artist trying to recoup on a deal that big.

Regardless of how the 6ix9ine story ends, the past month has been a reminder of the power of the consumer in 2020. In the attention economy of social media, every click leads to revenue, and online habits lead directly to real-world consequences. Hate-listening to a new song from a controversial artist out of sheer curiosity still puts money in their pocket, enabling them to keep doing what they've been doing. Refusing to buy an album or merchandise isn’t enough anymore. Even though you’re not spending money on it, clicking on a shocking YouTube music video still acts as monetary support and positive reinforcement. Streaming DAYSTAR on Spotify is still a form of financial endorsement, even if you publicly canceled Tory Lanez on Twitter.

An artist like 6ix9ine can't keep functioning the way he has without the revenue that each of your streams provides him. So if you want someone like him to go away, or inspire him to completely rethink his approach altogether, the most powerful thing you can do is to simply stop clicking on his music.

https://www.complex.com/music/2020/10/dont-stream-might-go-away-tekashi-6ix9ine?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3vw9-W9wMS36S8QdC2zTfOJJpv-SnWkeg7BASVqZJZwUnSRmJe3PjDC1g

TimisaMonster

Yes I'm glad he had literally 15 minutes of fame and now he is in debt with his label, has no fanbase to support his antics, and has to deal with fear of being harmed for the crimes he was thrown into prison for in the first place... :applause:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

39 minutes ago, Curunir said:

I watched his video with Nicki Minaj but I have adblock so :ohwell:

Wait, i have adblock too. So, when i watch a Gaga video, i'm not supporting her? :selena:

Curunir
15 minutes ago, Monet said:

Wait, i have adblock too. So, when i watch a Gaga video, i'm not supporting her? :selena:

You're giving her a view, but she's not getting any money out of it :huntyga:

Summerboi14
37 minutes ago, Curunir said:

You're giving her a view, but she's not getting any money out of it :huntyga:

My poor faves :ally:

Curunir
1 minute ago, BloodyMary08 said:

My poor faves :ally:

Exactly :ladyhaha:

I could watch each and every one of Gaga's videos simultaneously, non-stop, 24/7, adblock-free for the rest of my life and she still wouldn't earn as much as I've spent on her :air:

The complete inaction towards him will always make me sick. Do not give him attention by engaging with his stuff online, that I agree with, but maybe show some concern over a pedophile rapist topping the charts? Call me a SJW all you want but if anyone I know ever mentions him in a positive light, I’m gonna tell them they’re ****ing idiotic. There shouldn’t be a place for him in the public eye, but that also means there shouldn’t be a place for his fans. And they’re not just gonna vanish by themselves. So CALL THEM OUT people :grr:

FFXIV WhiteMage
4 hours ago, ThisGuyTony said:

“Interscope lost $25 million on ARTPOP” teas. Except this one is a real loser. :billie:

Omg, really? I thought ARTPOP sold decently :saladga:

MadreMonster
26 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

That article was fake - I remember those days like they were yesterday :huntyga:

Chromatography
24 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

yes, as far as selling out on itunes 

Archived