💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Biggest music sellouts?

Philo

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, alsemanche said:

This. 

I'm so tired of her basic singles that are so damn forgettable. She's literally wasting her amazing talent and her amazing voice over some insignificant songs that bring out none of the artistry she has. I had hopes that her next album will be another masterpiece and that these songs are just for fun but honestly I think she's too into this whole fame thing that she's compromised her creativity and talent for it and it makes me very sad. I was watching some of her performances recently and she really slayed all of them but her post-EMQ stuff are just not it. 

Maybe Im just being too hopeful and naive, but I think the urban collaborations and stand alone singles are just her trying things and having fun, I mean Juro Que and Dolerme are not that far from El Mal Querer and I wouldnt mind something like A Palé. Maybe Im wrong, but I feel that when she releases another album, its gonna be a full body of work and as thoughtful as El Mal Querer, I hope, we know she has the talent.

Its not a fedora u f*ck

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Yeah, let’s give it up for the Chainsmokers everyone! Let’s not disrespect their service to society :poot:

I don't draw lines, even with artists I don't like.  Every artist brings happiness to their fans.

I live outside the space time continuum.

My Enigma Heart
11 hours ago, Philo said:

Pray for the Wicked which worked as the era delivered 2 megahits, probably his biggest smashes ever (High Hopes, ME!)

What did Pray for the Wicked have to do with ME! ?? As far as I know, he was only featured in it but it's from Taylor's album.

SevenWonder
12 hours ago, baazyll said:

Liz Phair :bradley:

Exile in Guyville is one of the best albums of the 90s. And then Why Can't I.mp3 happened :messga:

I love it that someone on the forum knows about and loves Exile. It's an ageless record. Without it, we don't have Fiona Apple, Lana, or maybe even Amy Winehouse. 

13 hours ago, brizoda said:

Also The Black Eyed Peas

They're doing such horrible songs now

they do whats popping. right now latin market is popping, so suddenly u hear will i am saying mamacita and la vida loca on the radio

Helxig

None of this is selling out... some of them just struck gold early and ran out of creativity, some of them just changed and evolved and their sounds subsequently changed too, some of them had different writing partners in different projects, some of this is just your personal opinion about what you do and don't like. This is just what happens in music.

I'd argue that keeping the same commercial sound for 5 albums is actually selling out :shrug: 

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

youandi

I feel like some people here don't know the difference between selling out and just reinvention/trying new things

HOW ON EARTH has Rihanna sold out when she had mostly singles based, commercial focused albums before releasing what most people see as her most mature and interesting piece of work with Anti. 

Miley? C'mon really? Like Gaga she's done something different each time and she really doesn't seem to care if she's doing what people tend to like. 

Paramore - I can see why people might think this but After Laughter wasn't a sell out to me at all. Yes they could have stuck with rockier stuff but a band of their age making the same kind of pop punk music every album would feel like the well has run dry and they can't do anything else, it strikes me as growing up with their audience, especially considering Joe Hayley's album was the least sell-out kind of direction she could have gone in

tomsches
9 hours ago, Ronk said:

The shade in this thread.

Artists do what they think people will enjoy at the time.  They should all be applauded for bringing entertainment and joy to people.

No. Artists do what they think is art and what they themselves enjoy. Doing what you think other people will enjoy is the definition of selling out. 

Reality
15 hours ago, Eggs said:

So you're saying that Chromatica is GP-friendly, not in order to get more sales, but just to get Gaga's message out there to a wider audience? I hadn't thought about it that way, and I think there's something in that. And I agree that pop music doesn't have to be bold and daring to be good. But I stand by my opinion that Chromatica is a worse album for having been sanded down to the point of blandness.

I don't think Chromatica is a worse album by being "sanded down to the point of blandness." Chromatica is actually my favorite Gaga album. There is not a single song on that album that I dislike. There's certainly some I like over others, but I think it's a very cohesive and well-produced album. 

To your first point, Chromatica being GP-friendly was part of the strategy to widen her audience and also get more sales. After all, that's what widening your audience does: generates more sales. 

🖤👹

Ugh Sia. Love her but I cannot stand her generic new songs that sound identical. I miss her quirkiness and creativity. 

ToxicHot

Taylor Swift is the ULTIMATE sellout... I mean, c’mon.

Even though it was probably the right decision to go from country to pop.

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

Blastertoyo
4 minutes ago, ToxicHot said:

Taylor Swift is the ULTIMATE sellout... I mean, c’mon.

Even though it was probably the right decision to go from country to pop.

I never considered her not pop though... her music was always marketed to teenage girls. Even if it was country in production, I never really saw her as “country” especially with songs like Our Song and Teardrops On My Guitar (original and pop version) 

please enlighten me to death

PsychoMaxcara
5 hours ago, KanyeWest said:

they do whats popping. right now latin market is popping, so suddenly u hear will i am saying mamacita and la vida loca on the radio

In their defense, they did have some Latin influence on their past albums so them chasing the trend now with the Latin wave seems more like them coming a full circle after diverging so much with the electropop I Gotta a Feeling sound.

Also, Taboo (the hot dude with the long black hair) has Mexican roots, so :huntyga: 

JazzGa

Came into this thread expecting shade and disrespect but I can't deny the tea, gotta agree with u on all of these

Maroon 5 is always the 1st band that pops into my head for threads like this. My dad and I used to listen to a live MTV Unplugged Songs About Jane all the time when I was a teen. But Adam Levine sells his abs now more than his talent :shrug: And as for the rest of the Burgundy Boys, well, I don't even know if the rest of the band is the same original members. More like the Maroon 1 lol

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

monster4life231
18 hours ago, Killa said:

Sis they went from this:

To this

In the process a girl left cause of the change. Fergie came and went and now its just william with occasional supportive 3 and a list of collabs. 

Which becomes the same as adam levine feat whoever is on record

If you prefer their original hip-hop sounds their album Masters of the Sun is really good! 

spread peace - #MJInnocent

Archived