opinion

Biggest music sellouts?

Philo

Featured Posts

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shade in this thread.

Artists do what they think people will enjoy at the time.  They should all be applauded for bringing entertainment and joy to people.

I live outside the space time continuum.

alsemanche
7 hours ago, Philo said:

Rosalia: I love and live for her but she was really quick to switch up the flamenco-pop sound to urban Latin (apart from a few odd-one songs she releases).

This. 

I'm so tired of her basic singles that are so damn forgettable. She's literally wasting her amazing talent and her amazing voice over some insignificant songs that bring out none of the artistry she has. I had hopes that her next album will be another masterpiece and that these songs are just for fun but honestly I think she's too into this whole fame thing that she's compromised her creativity and talent for it and it makes me very sad. I was watching some of her performances recently and she really slayed all of them but her post-EMQ stuff are just not it. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

IllusionLover
6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Taylor can be considered a sellout after Red when she took the pop route

I have to disagree with people saying this, bc rep and 1989 sound different and even though Lover sounds a bit like both she still trying to do something different: folklore, I think we'll have to wait for TS9 to get a final conclusion on this.

13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes

Taylucifer
6 hours ago, HotLikeMexico said:

Taylor Swift. She became way more bubblegum pop. 

and where did that get her? Folklore has done surprisingly well and certainly better than Lover (which I'm assuming you're referring to)

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Taylor Swift and anyone else is a VERY distant second.   But I’ll give her credit - when she sold out it was an insanely good business decision.   

7 hours ago, Bonkers said:

I don't think there's really any such thing as selling out. 

That accusation usually comes from musicians who are so obsessed with making their music original and unique that you have actually understand what they're doing to appreciate it. 

Just wanting to make music that is easy to listen to, quick to like - i don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I don't think it's selling out. 

I agree, for the most part. But I just can't shake the Maroon 5 example being very, almost too, prime.

3 points in and ready for more

I also do not agree with Taylor Swift selling out because her route went more "pop"!

It's arguable, too, that she's been doing very accessible, country-pop since the very beginning. In fact, I think some of her more "pop" albums (within the context of writing) have even less widespread, crossover appeal than her older, country albums.

3 points in and ready for more

1 hour ago, Ronk said:

The shade in this thread.

Artists do what they think people will enjoy at the time.  They should all be applauded for bringing entertainment and joy to people.

Yeah, let’s give it up for the Chainsmokers everyone! Let’s not disrespect their service to society :poot:

nathantj594

The biggest in terms of popularity are Adele and Ed Sheeran. I loved 19. Was my peak album pre-Gaga. And Sheeran himself said he is a sellout now. Remember his songwriting?? Remember Supermarket Flowers?! Whatever pays your bills, I guess... I’ll go stan someone who actually puts a bit of heart in their work now. 

The biggest in terms of the worst are Swift and Perry. 

And Paula Abdul ain’t got [BLEEP] on me!

insight
7 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

And for Madonna, I think that Hard Candy is her last album where she tried to do something different, when she embraced late-2000s experimental (Timbaland, Kanye, Neptunes) hip hop influences. It feels like her last fun, self-conscious free album where she did it because she felt like it rather than to make some important statement about her career. I’m a huge fan of Hard Candy, I won’t lie. And I think in time it will become better appreciated.

Everyone was chasing the Blurred Lines sound in 2013, when M and Pharrell actually defined it on Hard Candy in 2008.

HotLikeMexico
1 hour ago, Taylucifer said:

and where did that get her? Folklore has done surprisingly well and certainly better than Lover (which I'm assuming you're referring to)

Are you a Taylor Stan?

insight
7 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

Undoubtedly, the artistic merit of AL and COADF have been unmatched by Madonna since. I think what makes HC so good for me is it felt nice to see Madonna not take herself so seriously. HC reminds me of 80s Madonna in spirit, but not in sound. The sound is very 2000s.

So what you say about it sounding like any other record from that era, well you may be right - and it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Hard Candy is a perfect time capsule of 2008! If you had a 2000s-themed night, you’d play Gwen’s Love Angel Music Baby, Kylie’s Light Years and Body Language, Beyonce’s Dangerously in Love and I Am Sasha Fierce, Gaga’s TF/TFM and of course you have to play Madonna’s COADF and Hard Candy!!! And trust me, HC would go offfffff 

Even though Hard Candy is not a career-defining album it’s still a very good album.

HC is so vibrant and uplifting, more so than Confessions, personally for me.  I remember thinking in 2013 that the HC  Pharell produced tracks still sounded fresh, since he was IN HUGE DEMAND during that time.

Taylucifer
13 minutes ago, HotLikeMexico said:

Are you a Taylor Stan?

maybe:flower::stalkga:

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Archived