• Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, xoxo Craig said:

This... they went from this:

To whatever this is:

I blame will.i.am

Sis they went from this:

To this

In the process a girl left cause of the change. Fergie came and went and now its just william with occasional supportive 3 and a list of collabs. 

Which becomes the same as adam levine feat whoever is on record

xoxo Craig
43 minutes ago, 2School4Cool said:

I don’t really think P!nk has sold out, I just think being a mom changed her perspective, so she’s singing from a more mature, thoughtful, emotional perspective (although she’s always had deep, emotional moments on her albums). I honestly don’t think she cares about commercial success, she herself said she was happily surprised by the success of What About Us because she was told (I believe by her label but I could be wrong, so don’t quote me on this) that since she’s a woman in her mid-late 30s the radio won’t want to play her anymore. Like she says in one of her songs on Beautiful Trauma, “I’m still the girl that you chased all around the world, I haven’t changed, just replaced all the chains with pearls.” 

You’re totally entitled to your opinion though, that’s just my opinion :).

She sold out :bear:  

Pink brought this grungy, "no fcks" attitude to music. It was edgy and something unique that made her standout. But Pink has definitely lost that. Yeah you can be a mum and that experience is bound to change you in some way... but her current music is not what P!nk was all about. Beautiful Trauma was literally an album full of current sounding 'trendy' music. There was nothing unique about it, and it seems that she's lost that edge that made her so unique in the first place. 

End Racism Now

StrawberryBlond

Listing ones that no one's said yet:

J-Lo - I think she's yet to release an album or song that didn't fit what was trendy at the time and she even switched out Pitbull for Iggy Azalea when Booty became a single because Iggy started popping just beforehand.

Meghan Trainor - She went from doo-wop to pop and is now doing some funk/disco/RnB stuff, even though her debut sound was what was working for her and it seems like she's just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Justin Beiber - Dropping an entire album campaign when it's no longer working wasn't just something he did for Changes, he also got Journals rebranded as just a compilation album when it flopped terribly so it wouldn't disrupt his run of #1 albums.

xoxo Craig
2 minutes ago, Killa said:

Sis they went from this:

To this

In the process a girl left cause of the change. Fergie came and went and now its just william with occasional supportive 3 and a list of collabs. 

Which becomes the same as adam levine feat whoever is on record

With the exception of Boom Boom Pow, The Time (and that era) was already a watered down version of TBEP. After that, they completely fell away. My Hump, Shut Up, Where Is The Love?... they are all staple songs. 

But now, they've completely fell away. will.i.am is way too focused on trying to be hip, cool and trendy with the current generation. Hence the tropical house mashup of a classic dance song (which he ruined). The groups downfall isn't just because Fergie left... the group was under direction from will.i.am, especially in production and the direction of their music. 

End Racism Now

Anveeroy
3 hours ago, Philo said:

Kylie Minogue after 1997: after switching up her commercial sound, her two most genuine and indie (also arguably her best) albums flopped and she did say she would never go the indie route again. Her saving grace is that the music that followed slapped hard too.

2 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

I agree with your points except for Kylie after 1997 and Madonna in 2008. In my opinion 2003’s Body Language is the last great Kylie album where she tried to do something different (r&b with mid-80s new wave and electro funk influences). So altogether I think of 1997-2003 as peak Kylie, starting with her ravey post-grunge magnum opus Impossible Princess.

Well, Kylie's first four albums are the very good example of sell-out; not her post Impossible Princess-era. I agree with @Lord Temptation. Kylie found her voice in KM94; and later IP didn't work out because numerous reasons ARTPOP couldn't. Artists have successes, and failures. Kylie came back with Light Years, and succeeded. Calling sell-out her after 1997 isn't right, she was still struggling to establish herself as a musician. 

Just one note: Her second self title contains 'Confide in Me' - which is a career highlight. 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

2School4Cool
15 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

She sold out :bear:  

Pink brought this grungy, "no fcks" attitude to music. It was edgy and something unique that made her standout. But Pink has definitely lost that. Yeah you can be a mum and that experience is bound to change you in some way... but her current music is not what P!nk was all about. Beautiful Trauma was literally an album full of current sounding 'trendy' music. There was nothing unique about it, and it seems that she's lost that edge that made her so unique in the first place. 

I definitely agree she used to have more edge, but I don’t personally think making less edgy music means selling out. I think of selling out as when artists start trying to follow trends for the sake of catching quick hits, and that’s never been my impression with P!nk, at least in my personal opinion. When I listen to I Am Here, Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken, Circle Game, The Last Song Of Your Life, Barbies, so many of these newer songs of hers, they don’t sound “trendy” to me at all, but they do have a maturity to them. She’s 20 years into her career, she’s bound to make some changes and adjustments, I just don’t really see it as selling out.

Again, you’re allowed to disagree, that’s just how I personally feel.

See The Best In Everyone

PsychoMaxcara
1 hour ago, Epione said:

Rihanna for sure.

I actually think Rihanna is a "sell IN" as in she's found who she is as an artist and she no longer lets other people control the direction of her career anymore. Let's not forget she got into the game when she was just 16, and she experienced her big break with Umbrella at 19. People often disregard that because she gives the impression she's older than she is.

Ever since Jay-Z signed her to Def Jam, they had NO idea how to market her properly, and so they first tried to promote her as this exotic islander princess of dancehall, then when that failed--she basically recorded B-day part II and her videos and songs were a lot like Beyoncé rejects. Then she started to grow tired of people telling her what to do, so she cut her hair off, dyed it black, and that's when she joined the ranks of icons, but while she finally started developing 'her own sound' she was definitely riding the wave of the electropop/dance music trend at the time established when Gaga came on the scene. That got tired by the time Unapologetic rolled out and you still had the dated StarGate/David Guetta productions take up 50% of the record and then random hip hop tracks like Pour It Up. 

I feel like Anti was her personal manifesto of sorts--it has the island sound, contemporary rap production, and feels a lot more authentic and genuine than any record before.

MaMaMarryTheNight
47 minutes ago, 2School4Cool said:

I definitely agree she used to have more edge, but I don’t personally think making less edgy music means selling out. I think of selling out as when artists start trying to follow trends for the sake of catching quick hits, and that’s never been my impression with P!nk, at least in my personal opinion. When I listen to I Am Here, Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken, Circle Game, The Last Song Of Your Life, Barbies, so many of these newer songs of hers, they don’t sound “trendy” to me at all, but they do have a maturity to them. She’s 20 years into her career, she’s bound to make some changes and adjustments, I just don’t really see it as selling out.

Again, you’re allowed to disagree, that’s just how I personally feel.

Have you heard hurts 2 be human :triggered:

⚔️💖 THE PAID PARTNERSHIPS CONTINUE💖⚔️

Anderson123
3 hours ago, MaMaMarryTheNight said:

Avril Lavigne :bradley:

Btw I’m not talking about sales I’m talking about my personal experience 

i remember stanning her like SO HARD, my whole room was filled with posters I bought literally everything related to her, went to concerts and stuff :bradley: Under My Skin and The Best Damn Thing defined my childhood.

After a break which was wayyy too long she released “Goodbye Lullaby” and the album and her lead single What The Hell werreally a BANGAH for me.. even though I just recently saw a video of her saying that she actually was pretty much forced to release another Girlfriend hit, that’s why What The Hell was even created.  After that she changed her label btw ...

... which showed in her next two albums :bradley: she had a few BANGAHS like Here’s to never growing up and Let Me Go but in the end.. Melissa just isnt as good as Avril :bradley:

Avril became a sell out with The Best Damn Thing. How can someone who from Let Go and Under My Skin to that ? But Dr. Luke was the executive producer so not surprised. I actually really enjoyed Goodbye Lullaby, it’s a really great album from start to finish, better than self titled and maybe Head Above Water in my opinion. 

Chromatican

Almost none of the artists being mentioned are sellouts. Kylie? Madonna? Gaga? BEP? Taylor Swift? These acts were always mainstream, and just went from one genre to a slightly more marketable genre for an era or period of time. Taylor was always pop, with only her first album being country, she just went full-on with Red’s singles and the 1989 album. Gaga has always been electronic pop, with a huge amount of genre experimentation, with Born This Way and Joanne being her most rock-inspired albums. Kylie and Madonna are pop music chameleons who reinvent themselves constantly, just because they went through periods were there music was more on trend doesn’t make them sellouts. Maroon 5 might be a decent example, but even they were never hugely alternative. Honestly the amount of artists who truly “sellout” is pretty small, most artists stay in their lane, and some just get more mainstream with age. I’d say Pink might be the closest example that I’ve seen in this thread, she pretty much retired her punk rock sensibilities entirely after a certain point and became very bland. Going from Dear Mr. President to songs like What About Us when the president is much worse is sellouty in my eyes. 

2School4Cool
22 minutes ago, MaMaMarryTheNight said:

Have you heard hurts 2 be human :triggered:

I own all of her albums, some of the songs I’ve mentioned are from H2BH. There are some poppy songs but that doesn’t make her a sellout. That album has a lot of deep, meaningful songs like My Attic, Circle Game, Happy, The Last Song of Your Life, Love Me Anyway, etc. Again I’m not arguing with anyone’s opinions, just sharing my own. You’re allowed to think she’s sold out, I just personally disagree.

See The Best In Everyone

Chromatican
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Listing ones that no one's said yet:

J-Lo - I think she's yet to release an album or song that didn't fit what was trendy at the time and she even switched out Pitbull for Iggy Azalea when Booty became a single because Iggy started popping just beforehand.

Meghan Trainor - She went from doo-wop to pop and is now doing some funk/disco/RnB stuff, even though her debut sound was what was working for her and it seems like she's just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Justin Beiber - Dropping an entire album campaign when it's no longer working wasn't just something he did for Changes, he also got Journals rebranded as just a compilation album when it flopped terribly so it wouldn't disrupt his run of #1 albums.

How can any of these artists be called sellouts? All of them debuted and were marketed as mainstream pop acts. My understanding of a sellout is someone who is alternative and switches lanes to pop suddenly after a new record contract or to gain more hits. The only people capable of being sellouts are people who aren’t mainstream popstars who “sold out” at the very start. 

Archived