Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Biggest music sellouts?

Philo

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, MaMaMarryTheNight said:

Gaga 

i just wrote that to see the reactions :huntyga:

I mean... do we really think Chromatica is the album Gaga would have made had she not been aiming for commercial success?

Gaga has never been afraid to put out music that is abrasive, or challenging, or uncool compared to many of her peers, but I'd love to hear an album from her which genuinely sounds like she's let herself be completely free from the constraints of commercial appeal.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Temptation
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Madonna during Hard Candy & MDNA

Taylor can be considered a sellout after Red when she took the pop route

Gaga with Chromatica (an album that I think is flawless), doing a safe pop album produced by Bloodpop, with collabs from Ariana Grande and BLACKPINK aka the hottest artists right now

How was Hard Candy a sellout? Nobody wanted her to do it and hip hop was and still is notoriously a very guarded community. I think it was a huge gamble for Madonna to make a hip hop heavy album. Admittedly many pop girls of the 2000s were dabbling in hip hop (Gwen, Nelly, Fergie) but with Hard Candy it still felt like an authentic Madonna album, rather than a Timbaland album or Pharrel album with Madonna just as a muse for those producers. And I love how she literally did a complete 180 degree turn from Confessions! 

Lord Temptation
21 minutes ago, Damon said:

I see your point, this era seemed so fun and natural, like she was actually enjoying it like her past eras but imo she stopped being the trend-setter/re-invention queen she has always been

Justin, Timbaland and Pharrell were pretty popular at that time. It was a great move to collab with them in order to keep the momentum she had after Confessions, but I dont't think she was trying to make something different, it pretty much sounds like another 2000s record

But if we listen to COADF and AL, I think those stand out by being unique during that decade

Undoubtedly, the artistic merit of AL and COADF have been unmatched by Madonna since. I think what makes HC so good for me is it felt nice to see Madonna not take herself so seriously. HC reminds me of 80s Madonna in spirit, but not in sound. The sound is very 2000s.

So what you say about it sounding like any other record from that era, well you may be right - and it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Hard Candy is a perfect time capsule of 2008! If you had a 2000s-themed night, you’d play Gwen’s Love Angel Music Baby, Kylie’s Light Years and Body Language, Beyonce’s Dangerously in Love and I Am Sasha Fierce, Gaga’s TF/TFM and of course you have to play Madonna’s COADF and Hard Candy!!! And trust me, HC would go offfffff 

Even though Hard Candy is not a career-defining album it’s still a very good album.

brizoda

Donna Summer when abandoned disco music and went for a Pop-Rock sound

And this after the Disco Demolition in Chicago

Reality
18 minutes ago, Eggs said:

I mean... do we really think Chromatica is the album Gaga would have made had she not been aiming for commercial success?

Gaga has never been afraid to put out music that is abrasive, or challenging, or uncool compared to many of her peers, but I'd love to hear an album from her which genuinely sounds like she's let herself be completely free from the constraints of commercial appeal.

I don't understand when people say this.

Yes, as an artist, you have to think about how well your songs/albums would do commercially but also, I think by now we know that Gaga is the type of artist to always put art before business. Chromatica is more "commercially accessible" to the general public, but it's still very much a "Gaga" album just like TF, TFM, BTW, ARTPOP, and Joanne. 

🖤👹

MaMaMarryTheNight

Avril Lavigne :bradley:

Btw I’m not talking about sales I’m talking about my personal experience 

i remember stanning her like SO HARD, my whole room was filled with posters I bought literally everything related to her, went to concerts and stuff :bradley: Under My Skin and The Best Damn Thing defined my childhood.

After a break which was wayyy too long she released “Goodbye Lullaby” and the album and her lead single What The Hell werreally a BANGAH for me.. even though I just recently saw a video of her saying that she actually was pretty much forced to release another Girlfriend hit, that’s why What The Hell was even created.  After that she changed her label btw ...

... which showed in her next two albums :bradley: she had a few BANGAHS like Here’s to never growing up and Let Me Go but in the end.. Melissa just isnt as good as Avril :bradley:

⚔️💖 THE PAID PARTNERSHIPS CONTINUE💖⚔️

GreenDiamond

love beyonce but with those random remixes and songs about tik tok and only fans I must say she is chasing mainstream success again

PsychoMaxcara

Honestly, I don't mind people selling out as long as IT'S WORTH IT.  A lot of people accused Nelly Furtado of selling out in 2006, but Loose is one of my all time favorite Pop albums. Fergie's The Dutchess as well. :awkney: 

Btw for people listing Avril, did she ever  r e a l l y  'sell out'? Like, to me, people who sell out and switch from a less popular genre of their preference to mainstream Pop music are usually people who are really really desperate to make it in the music biz, but Avril was a certified icon/legend by her debut album and then she further cemented that with her second. The way I see it, the bratty Pop/rock sound verging on bubblegum Pop of The Best Damn Thing was like a natural transition after the rebellious/punk records of her teenage years. The attitude was still there, but she embraced her girly side more. If that's selling out then I don't understand the definition of the phrase anymore lol. Also, Goodbye Lullaby, the record that followed TBDT, was a return to more stripped down acoustic songs with focus on good songwriting and vocals.

P!nk is an interesting example. Yes, if I listen to her earlier records and compare that with her recent stuff the change is drastic and it's obvious she's targeting an entirely different crowd now. Remember there used to be a time when people thought P!nk/Alecia was black? :huntyga:

As for Katy, her situation is actually eerily similar to Gaga's. Just like Gaga owes a lot of her success to RedOne and the transition from whatever Stefani was doing to dance pop, Katy used to make very stereotypical early 2000s Pop rock music, but then Dr. Luke & Max Martin put their own spin on it and thus I Kissed a Girl and Hot n Cold were born. Both Gaga and Katy debuted with international smashes that, however, somewhat compromised their previous discography and artistry. Unlike Gaga though, Katy never went back after she figured the Pop/dance formula works.

TimisaMonster

Rihanna

Britney Spears 

Taylor Swift

Maroon 5 

Paramore

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

xoxo Craig
56 minutes ago, brizoda said:

Also The Black Eyed Peas

They're doing such horrible songs now

This... they went from this:

To whatever this is:

I blame will.i.am

End Racism Now

Teletubby

Rihanna
Miley Cyrus 

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

brizoda
Just now, xoxo Craig said:

This... they went from this:

To whatever this is:

I blame will.i.am

I blame him too

xoxo Craig
11 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

I don't understand when people say this.

Yes, as an artist, you have to think about how well your songs/albums would do commercially but also, I think by now we know that Gaga is the type of artist to always put art before business. Chromatica is more "commercially accessible" to the general public, but it's still very much a "Gaga" album just like TF, TFM, BTW, ARTPOP, and Joanne. 

I think its even more so a Gaga album than her previous albums. Its more open and authentically her

End Racism Now

Archived