🎃 Spotify Playlist 🎃

Sign in to follow this  
science

400 fossil footprints reveal someone's journey

FfFfFfFF

white-sands-woman-and-child_karen_carr.a

More than 10.000 years ago, a woman or young man—a toddler balanced on one hip—set out on a harried trip northward through what is now White Sands National Park, New Mexico. Rain may have pelted the traveler’s face as their bare feet slid on the mud. They paused to briefly set the toddler on the ground before pressing on; Several hours later, the traveler followed the same route south, this time empty-handed.

1015_footprints1.jpg?itok=O0SmrTER

Now, a team of scientists have documented nearly a mile of fossilized footprints from the out-and-back venture—the longest human trackway of its age ever found. “I’ve never seen anything quite like it,” says Chatham University’s Kevin Hatala, an evolutionary biologist.

og_footprints_20180426_132100407.adapt.676.1.jpg4gNxXG_0XIIan0B00?type=webp_1024x576

The trackway consists of more than 400 human prints, including several tiny child prints. By analyzing the shape, structure, and spread of the tracks the research team unveiled an intimate portrait of one ancient person’s walk across the landscape, right down to their toes slipping on the slick surface.

The team also uncovered traces of a mammoth and giant sloth crossing the region after the humans passed. The mammoth seemed unconcerned about possible humans nearby, but the giant sloth likely took notice. The prints suggest it reared back on two legs, possibly to sniff for the human presence, similar to how bears behave today.

“It gives us a sense of humans within their ancient ecosystem,” says study author Sally Reynolds.

1015_footprints_tnd.jpg

Source: National Geographic

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 3
  • Shook 7

FfFfFfFF
Just now, FfFfFfFF said:

what is now White Sands National Park, New Mexico.

And yes, this is the place where Gaga filmed the 911 video! :ohwell:

1Zj0Ii_0X3HRHJB00?type=webp_1024x576

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • YAAAS 4
  • Shook 4
  • Thanks 1

PlasticWeave

it's crazy how they can figure out all of that with that much detail :mark:

poordat
  • Like 2

Killa

This things make me so emotional. Omg she was like a turtle trying to come ashore and despositying the eggs 

KanyeWest

I dont understand how no one after 10 000 years went to that location to walk there and these footprints are THAT old 

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Shook 1

StarstruckIllusion

What happened to the toddler :ohno: I hope he was okay :fatcat:

• Sad 1

LateToCult
9 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

She yeeted him I guess

FfFfFfFF
10 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

They don't mention anything bad so he most likely survived the journey. The parent carried him in the first part but halfway they let him walk on his own.

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Love 1

PunkTheFunk

Maybe she was dropping off her son at daycare

• LMAO 2