🎃 Spotify Playlist 🎃

Sign in to follow this  
science

Calorie restriction linked with longer healthspan, reduced body temperature

FfFfFfFF

Sep10_2020_Getty_843016872_ThermalImagin

Studies led by scientists at the Scripps Research Institute have tied some of the biological effects of calorie restriction (CR)—which is known for its life-extending effects in animals—to metabolic molecules that are affected by changes in body temperature. The discovery helps to explain some of the elusive science behind the health benefits of calorie restriction, and indicates that targeting metabolic pathways could potentially mimic the effects of CR in humans.

Animals—including mammals such as humans and mice—that are endothermic can maintain their core body temperature (Tb) by balancing heat production and heat dissipation. One consistent observation is that when mammals consume less food, their body temperature drops. It’s evolution’s way of helping us to conserve energy until food is available again, Conti explained.

“This adaptive response is believed to have evolved to reduce energy expenditure when nutrients are scarce, effectively ‘gaining time’ to find food,” the researchers noted.

It makes sense, considering that up to half of what we eat every day is turned into energy simply to maintain our core body temperature. But further than this, the researchers continued, “time is exactly what the organism gains when experimentally subjected to CR, because lifespan is prolonged.”

The findings may pave the way for developing compounds that reproduce the beneficial effects of reduced body temperature.

https://www.genengnews.com/news/health-benefits-of-calorie-restriction-linked-with-lower-body-temperature/

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • YAAAS 1

holy scheisse
Just now, Dulo Peep said:

Lets start starving ourselves 

Pop stars don't eat :vegas:

• Thanks 1

ConnorFilm
9 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

Lets start starving ourselves 

That’s how I dropped 25 pounds in two years! Eat less and walk more. :p

Twitter: @ConnorBehrens/Instagram: @ConnorBehrens
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

sarcamstic

good thing i accidentally starve due to my medications :vegas: guess it is paying off 

🚨 MY BIGGEST ENEMY IS ME 🚨

Magneto

I'll die fat and warm, thank you. Enjoy those last years :vegas:

Free my mind
  • Like 1

Delaytica

Another reason plant based is the way to go :heart:

dolce vita

my intermediate fasting is paying off then :heart:

blackpink in chromatica

KanyeWest

What do they mean by calorie restriction? How do u eat then in a normal day? Tea in the morning with half a banana, then for lunch a boring salad and half cereal bread and then dinner 4 potatos and spinach? Thats not how i wanna live my life 

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone

bionic

Apparently reduced body temperature also helps if you're an assassin. (Calorie-restricted) Food for thought

buy bionic
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1

Lord Temptation
28 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

What do they mean by calorie restriction? How do u eat then in a normal day? Tea in the morning with half a banana, then for lunch a boring salad and half cereal bread and then dinner 4 potatos and spinach? Thats not how i wanna live my life 

It just means eating less overall, but the great thing about CR (caloric restriction) is that there are many ways to achieve it. This is a consequence of the age of early human exploration when two factors were at play: (1) we were colonising new lands and we were unsure if the new food we encountered was poisonous or not, (2) very long distances without food as well as natural disaster depleting food sources. 

Basically, there is no right or wrong answer. The challenge is in finding YOUR right balance. It will take weeks, months of trial and error. I started intermittent fasting (IF) about three years ago and have achieved my ideal regime of caloric restriction: twice a year (at the end of summer and winter) I fast for 3.5 full days. On top of that I go meat-free every single Monday. This balance totally works for me, but it took months of tying different ones (eg the 5:2 diet, which didn’t work for me) until you find your optimal ratio. I know some people who simply skip a meal a day (usually breakfast) so they only do lunch+dinner, and that works for them. 

As a metabolic system, less is more! A little bit of hunger goes a long way. The body essentially recalibrates itself by wasting away the weaker cells and allowing the stronger cells to multiply more rapidly. 

Edited by Lord Temptation
  • Thanks 1