💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Mariah Carey Accuses Celine Dion of Blasphemy

Bodum

Featured Posts

Mariah Carey criticizes Céline Dion's performance at Divas 98 in her biography: “I wouldn't have done that… it seemed like a blasphemy”

lpplsblpdjoj58e6lkzo.jpg

This Friday, Mariah Carey will launch her autobiography, The Meaning Of Mariah Carey, and according to those who have read the book, there is a criticism of Céline Dion's performance during VH1 Divas, in which the two participated.

Without ever mentioning Céline Dion's name, Mariah says: “We all knew our part, but we also knew it was an Aretha song. Well, almost all of us knew “. Mariah speaks of the "attempt made by another of the divas to face the queen [Aretha] during the song" [You Make Me Fell Like a Natural Woman "]. Although Mariah says the result was "good", she adds "I never would have done that".

Next, Mariah talks about the final performance, “Testimony”, in which the “duel diva” is a clear reference to Céline Dion:

“The duel diva had gone too far before (in my humble opinion) and seemed to be trying to outdo Aretha. That. It happened. I couldn't believe that someone was trying to outshine Aretha Franklin in his honor while singing about Jesus. Maybe it was a big cultural gap, but it seemed like crazy to me, and I didn't want to participate in that. As this happened, my body started involuntarily to retreat out of the Divas line and I started to join the support singers, most of whom I knew. It seemed like blasphemy to me, and I wanted to be out of reach if the lightning came. ”

Finally, Mariah recalls a later conversation she had with her musical godmother, singer Patti LaBelle, in which she said: "Mariah, if you had participated in that onslaught, I would have slapped you in the face".

WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER??? :confused:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rumours

When I saw that, I don't think Celine was trying to "outshine" Aretha at all. It seemed like she was just trying to have some fun on stage. I mean... Aretha didn't seem to get angry or anything :shrug:

SharGaga

She has mentioned this before in interviews. It's not a big deal LOL. I'm sure she's not being serious when she says blasphemy. I'm reading her book rn.

Judas Society

I know Mariah is used to being openly critical of her peers, but Celine didn't deserve that. Celine is like the most respectful singer ever. But I respect Mariah, she has her viewpoint, but so do others. Unless Celine tried to outsing Aretha and overshadow her.

DirrtyPony

Mariah has been pretty open about this in the past. I don't think Celine was trying to outshine anyone, she seemed like she was just enjoying the moment. I disagree with Mariah, but she's allowed to see it that way.

Strung out for another taste

JusKeepBreathin

Mariah shading other singers. It must be Tuesday. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Reject False Icons

I guess I cannot understand or relate to that situation :ladyhaha: I mean I don’t have that voice status :sweat:

btw I’m really shook that she faced a similar situation as Britney’s conservatorship

Monsieur D

Mmmm... even though I love Celine, she's a queen, I have to say, she went a little too far that time, that was Aretha's moment (it was her tribute), and she literally tried to outshine her (that's my personal opinion). That being said, Mariah already talked about it in the past, and I don't think meant to be "shady", she was just being honest (as always).

She's honest AF, and that bothers people.

EDIT: The "blasphemy" thing is not that serious, it was more like "that's blaaaaaasphemy dahhhhling".

LOL it is a cultural gap. The butt-hurt American singer making race and religion and culture a big deal, when the good fun well intention Canadian girl just saw an opportunity to have fun and give people an interesting moment.

Celine should speak out tbh. Mariah has been mean and harsh for way too long. She needs to have several seats. Jealousy is not a cute look. 

Also, Aretha's entourage and family were not so offended by that, since Celine was ASKED TO SING "A change is gonna come" at Aretha's tribute, meanwhile Mariah was nowhere to be seen. 

I urge you to watch the performance btw. I am still SHOOK :

Katsuki Bakugo

I was hoping to read something about Celine doing something outrageous against the catholic church! I’m mad now!

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

3 minutes ago, Mister D said:

Mmmm... even though I love Celine, she's a queen, I have to say, she went a little too far that time, that was Aretha's moment (it was her tribute), and she literally tried to outshine her (that's my personal opinion). That being said, Mariah already talked about it in the past, and I think she didn't mean to be shady, she was just being honest (as always).

She's honest AF, and that bothers people.

i think shes more delulu AF. 

KatieJudasGaga4
21 minutes ago, Mister D said:

The "blasphemy" thing is not that serious, it was more like "that's blaaaaaasphemy dahhhhling".

This.

• Admin changed the title to Mariah Carey Accuses Celine Dion of Blasphemy

Archived