Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Like A Prayer। Ceremony। Madonna

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Anveeroy

Welcome to the Megarate Ceremony of one of the greatest albums of all time Madonna's 'LIKE A PRAYER'

Madonna-2.jpg

Madonna's fourth album opens with something unexpected—jagged, refracted guitars. A nervy move for the woman who was the reigning queen of pop, renowned for bringing together the most cutting-edge elements of the world's underground subcultures with the splashy pageantry and big hooks that made her an MTV superstar. But Like a Prayer had an unexpected genesis of its own, coming on the heels of Madonna's first few public stumbles: There were her coolly received forays into acting and her marriage to her Shanghai Surprise co-star Sean Penn, which ended two months before the album's release. And then there was the controversy over the title track's video, so white-hot it incurred the wrath of the Catholic Church and made Pepsi scuttle an endorsement deal. But as this vibrant album still shows, Madonna's low points only served as springboards to reach her highest heights. In terms of lyrical content, Prayer exists in stark contrast to the giddy, retro-minded True Blue, but it's also a leap forward for Madonna's brand of pop innovation. The title track combines gospel-choir exuberance, grimy riffs, and existential angst with a forceful vocal; "Express Yourself" is anthemic and strutting, its demands for a higher love seeming to rise from her divorce papers' ashes. Madonna slips into the confession booth often, and her least guarded moments are arresting: The mournful "Oh Father" grapples with grief and family, while "Till Death Do Us Part" pairs hyperactive beats with wistful coulda-been lyrics. Prince, one of the few pop acts whose late-'80s stature rivaled Madonna's, adds heat to the lightly funky "Love Song" and manic riffing to the album-closing pastiche "Act of Contrition." That finale both bookends “Like a Prayer” and puts it in a blender, as Madonna riffs on the demands of Catholicism and the foibles of fame. It is a winking close to an album that stretched the boundaries of pop, and, in the process, elevated a true icon to even greater heights.

original.gif

Tracklist:

1. Like a Prayer
2. Express Yourself
3. Love Song
4. Till Death Do Us Part
5. Promise to Try
6. Cherish
7. Dear Jessie
8. Oh Father
9. Keep It Together
10. Spanish Eyes
11. Act of Contrition

49b3.gif

Result:

Spoiler

1. Like a Prayer

2. Express Yourself

3. Oh Father

4. Keep It Together

5. Cherish

6. Till Death Do Us Part

7. Promise to Try

8. Spanish Eyes

9. Dear Jessie

10. Love Song

11. Act of Contrition

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anveeroy
Anveeroy

Saturday Night, Madonna Night! We will revisit the albums of Queen Madonna! Megarate ceremony schedule has given below: 

1) American Life - 1st August (DONE) 

2) Madame X - 8th August (DONE) 

3) Rebel Heart - 15th August (DONE) 

4) True Blue - 22nd August (DONE) 

5) Erotica - 29th August (DONE) 

6) Bedtime Stories - 5th September (DONE) 

7) Ray of Light - 12th September (DONE) 

8) Music - 19th September (DONE) 

9) Like A Prayer - 26th September (DONE)

Blown Away
2 minutes ago, Aarghya said:

Do you all want to revisit the previous megarate results? 

I'm going to sleep in an hour, so I'd like to see as much of the results as I can :hug:

They shipped it, but it got shipped back

Anveeroy
Just now, Blown Away said:

I'm going to sleep in an hour, so I'd like to see as much of the results as I can :hug:

Aww, ok! 

May I say a super lame fact about me proving how dumb I was and how I used to believe everything I read on the Internet (it's related to Like A Prayer, it's not random lol).

One time I read a Madonna hater who said that during LAP era, she encouraged gay people to have sex without condoms and therefore she encouraged people to spread AIDs around. Not knowing anything about Madonna and kinda hating her for saying Gaga is reductive, I spread this lie everywhere for a few months...

Jesus how retarded I was... To believe stuff like this and be so immature to spread it around... Thank God I grew up so much

Anveeroy
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

0May I say a super lame fact about me proving how dumb I was and how I used to believe everything I read on the Internet (it's related to Like A Prayer, it's not random lol).

One time I read a Madonna hater who said that during LAP era, she encouraged gay people to have sex without condoms and therefore she encouraged people to spread AIDs around. Not knowing anything about Madonna and kinda hating her for saying Gaga is reductive, I spread this lie everywhere for a few months...

Jesus how retarded I was... To believe stuff like this and be so immature to spread it around... Thank God I grew up so much

Literary she raised awareness - 90's was wild! 

4 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

Goodnight sweetie:heart:

Always be kind to others, you may need them once

Archived