Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Albums you'd like to see retrospective reviews of?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Seeing as Madonna's American Life got a retrospective review today, it got me thinking about other under-rated at the time albums I'd like to see given the same treatment. We've seen some albums which got a mixed reception by critics back in the day become classics over time so much so, that, years later, sometimes if the album gets a re-release for reviewers to re-do their opinions and see if it aged well or was maybe even ahead of its time. I've got some I've got in mind that I don't think got a fair try the first time around for unfair reasons. Not all of them are old enough to get retrospective reviews yet but maybe in the future:

Christina Aguilera - Stripped. Such a big hit with the public but surprisingly under-rated by critics. One reviewer even gave it a flat-out F score which I really can't fathom. It's frequently cited as Christina's best or second best album to this day so I'd really like to see critics channel why they couldn't see this the first time around. It could have been down to her shocking image change from bubblegum popstar to raunchy sexpot overnight and the industry can be very sexist when it comes to that stuff and just see that and not focus on the music.

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die. While getting some retrospective praise, it's yet to get full-on reviews yet. But already critics have started admitting that this album heralded in new trends for female artists that they didn't see coming and it was a pioneer in the music scene. It's undeniable that the perception of Lana as a millionaire's daughter getting her record deal on daddy's money (which wasn't true, she got it by herself) and having a team behind her who controlled her image and output was instrumental in the initial mixed reception she got, one of the most mixed receptions I've ever seen for an album. Again, sexism has a lot to answer for as I don't think I've ever seen the same criticisms be made of male artists in the same position or have lies said about how they write their songs. Critics were noticably nicer to her for every album after that, so that tells you something even if it was as simple as not wanting to look like fools in the eyes of the public who made her so successful.

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP. I really don't have to go into this one on a fan forum. Once more, sexism runs rampant as the media hopped right on the hate train and focused on image more than music. For some reviewers, they dedicated their entire review to Gaga's persona and not her actual album. A common theme, you'll agree.

Any more suggestions?

Pop Music

ARTPOP 

Electra Heart

E.MO.TION

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

Stripped without a doubt. The album got critically panned back in the day but it turned out to be one of the most iconic and influential female pop albums. I’m a 100% sure the album would get so much more praise if critics looked back and decided to review it now. 

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

Archived